Getting Smart About Smart TVs

Note from the Editor:
This article was written for the SDC by the wonderful member Alan G.

Most of us now are used to hearing about ‘Smart’ TVs, and they have entirely replaced the old Cathode Ray Tube technology. From price tags of around $25,000 some years ago, the same size now is less than $1000, so they’re quite affordable nowadays in comparison. We have a Smart TV, and with Christmas coming, thought it would be nice to ‘up-grade’ to a TV with even more Smart features, but before we do, there are a number of questions that need to be answered:

What size TV should we have?
I used to think that this was dependent upon price, but with ALDI selling a 70” Smart TV at $629 (at the time of writing) price is not really a factor for most of us. My father used to be in the radio communications section of the RAF during the war, and made our first TV in 1949 when we lived in a pre-fab in Woodmansterne in the UK. It had a 9” screen and the case was made out of hardboard. There was only one station then, the BBC, and it wasn’t on all day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
Note from the Editor:

Most of us now are used to hearing about ‘Smart’ TVs, and they have entirely replaced the old Cathode Ray Tube technology. From price tags of around $25,000 some years ago, the same size now is less than $1000, so they’re quite affordable nowadays in comparison. We have a Smart TV, and with Christmas coming, thought it would be nice to ‘up-grade’ to a TV with even more Smart features, but before we do, there are a number of questions that need to be answered:

I used to think that this was dependent upon price, but with ALDI selling a 70” Smart TV at $629 (at the time of writing) price is not really a factor for most of us. My father used to be in the radio communications section of the RAF during the war, and made our first TV in 1949 when we lived in a pre-fab in Woodmansterne in the UK. It had a 9” screen and the case was made out of hardboard. There was only one station then, the BBC, and it wasn’t on all day.

Reactions: PattiB
Note from the Editor:

We have just upgraded our Sanyo TV with the set-top box to a Samsung smart frame TV and use the set-top from the old system to record two programs on the HDMI and watch some other programs on the live TV.

All over my head, I’ll stick to my old tv with a remote that changes channels for me and switches tv on and off. Hubby and I are not interested in using any streaming services, we don’t watch enough tv for that. We do have smart tvs the grandkids use when they stay as they are all into streaming services. They just connect them to the parents streaming service while they are here and disconnect before they leave.

All over my head, I’ll stick to my old tv with a remote that changes channels for me and switches tv on and off. Hubby and I are not interested in using any streaming services, we don’t watch enough tv for that. We do have smart tvs the grandkids use when they stay as they are all into streaming services. They just connect them to the parents streaming service while they are here and disconnect before they leave.
With all the different gubbins and costs for same, the only things streaming are my eyes, when we get the bleeding bills.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: June E