Get well soon, Jimmy Barnes! Rock icon cancels tour after health scare

Aussie rock legend Jimmy Barnes is taking some time off from performing to focus on his health, cancelling all of his upcoming gigs while he undergoes surgery on his back and hip.

The 66-year-old Working Class Man singer shared a video on Instagram admitting that years of jumping around stages and stomping on PAs has 'finally caught up with me', leaving him in 'constant and severe pain'.

Screen Shot 2022-11-30 at 9.20.30 AM.png
Jimmy Barnes had to cancel all of his upcoming shows because he needed immediate surgery on his hip and back. Credit: YouTube/Official Jimmy Barnes.

'After jumping off PAs and stomping around stages for nearly 50 years, it's finally caught up with me,' Barnes said in the clip. 'I've had niggling back and hip issues for years, but things suddenly got a lot worse over the last few weeks, and I'm now in constant and severe pain.'

'As everybody knows, it's against my religion to blow out gigs, but the doctors tell me I need an operation as soon as possible.'

Credit: Official Jimmy Barnes.

The rock icon went on to thank his replacement for the gigs he has cancelled - the Hoodoo Gurus, who will headline the three big shows in Wollongong, Torquay and at Rochford Wines.

'I'm very grateful that the Gurus have agreed to headline these three big gigs in my absence,' Barnes said. 'We played some great shows together last summer, so I know audiences will be in good hands.'

In January, Summernats 35 will take place in Canberra, and Jon Stevens, Daryl Braithwaite, and Diesel will be filling in.

Barnes' schedule being disrupted prevents him from going on tour to promote his first collection of holiday songs, Blue Christmas, which was just released.

Covering Elvis Presley's 1957 single 'Blue Christmas', Cold Chisel lead singer Barnes stays loyal to the original by unleashing his finest, deep, bluesy vocals.

It was released with a music video in which Barnes, dressed in a leopard-print blazer, belted out the song with the help of a slew of instrumentalists and guest vocalists and a fittingly glistening Christmas tree in the background.

Credit: Official Jimmy Barnes.

Key Takeaways

• As he prepares for emergency hip and back surgery, Jimmy Barnes has postponed all of his future performances.
  • Barnes then thanked the Hoodoo Gurus, the band that would take his place at the next sold-out shows in Wollongong, Torquay, and Rochford Wines, after he had to cancel.
  • Barnes's itinerary has been thrown off, so he won't be able to go on tour in support of Blue Christmas, his first album of Christmas music.

While we're sure this news comes as a disappointment to many of his fans (ourselves included), we're also glad to hear that Barnes is being proactive about his health and getting the surgery he needs as soon as possible.

Everyone at the SDC sends their warmest wishes for a speedy recovery and the best of luck to him! Members, what are your thoughts? Do you have a song by the rock legend that you consider to be your favourite? Don't be shy; tell us all about it below!

Sponsored
He got through heart surgery and he will get through this 🙏.

He has too many amazing songs just to pick one.
I follow him on instagram and Jane as well and loved watching the videos they put up during lockdown . Amazing family
He has a great nurse looking after him...his wife.

Maybe he can come on here during his time off

Reactions: Ricci