Get to know the Aussie top detective who rescued 4-year-old Cleo Smith

Get to know the Aussie top detective who rescued 4-year-old Cleo Smith
Detective Senior Sergeant Cameron Blaine made headlines around the world as he rescued 4-year-old Cleo Smith who was allegedly taken from a tent at a campsite 18 days ago.

The top detective lists the interrogation and arrest of some of Australia's worst murderers in his achievements. However, the Western Australian cop said that nothing compares to his rescue of 4-year-old Cleo from a locked bedroom inside a rundown Carnarvon home on November 3, calling the heroic act the best moment of his career.

22_DoD7y5pf9w9U2NUUeUSe6uXDledBK8c0Wmde0Jfobk369C1NFL4kEbJTfsrfd90SZV7UBMgfCMoVf5b7NJ5VNx867zMLP4kLPPJteFf-yBhQAnvoaiS3C83k7N00ncRwvpcE

Senior Sergeant Cameron Blaine was hailed as one of the officers responsible for the rescue of Cleo Smith who was allegedly taken from a tent at a campsite. Credit: EPA.
Sgt Blaine is now being hailed as one of the officers responsible for the discovery of the little girl 18 days after she was allegedly kidnapped from a tent at a campsite 75km north.

Western Australia Police shared footage from body cameras showing the detective carrying the 4-year-old out of the home and putting her at ease.

'My name's Cameron, how are you? Are you alright?' he bends down to speak to Cleo in a gentle, soothing voice.

'We're going to take you to see your mummy and daddy, OK? Is that good?'

Although the little girl was not uttering a word, she was seen nodding multiple times to Sgt Blaine's questions.

OF98PVFLnd_2IWR28e-IFftt8_HN3lQhg-SMYh9moYDGjFapwgPTAYS0ehddyJKYrtBJGjYd32yMy_fro1Jkv_-KUrEgEa2f7wYNxFMwLUXZnKb54BlRg0va6om0YuW0vQ3pWYI

The top detective said that the rescue of Cleo Smith is the best moment of his policing career. Credit: EPA.
Senior Sergeant Blaine recalled the moment he and three colleagues broke into a home and found little Cleo in a locked bedroom shortly before 1 am on Wednesday.

Sergeant Blaine told the reporters: 'I just wanted to be absolutely sure that it certainly looks like Cleo, I wanted to be sure it was her.'

'I said, "what is your name?" She didn't answer, I asked three times and then she looked at me and said, "my name is Cleo." And that was it.

'Then we turned around and walked out of the house. Not long after that, we got into the car and the officer I was with called Cleo's parents and said ''we've got someone here that wants to speak to you''.'

'It was a wonderful feeling to make that call. They were ecstatic.'

The detective confirmed that the little girl was unharmed when she was found.

Currently, a 36-year-old man remains in police custody and is yet to be charged.

eBaEm6gETjlm41xl8-bmpyL_oJ6AS9B7kQ62WXzMAW-9P8wH7pyx8-sc0Yhy9Xvnqe5w401yHXaivpQBZL0w3rtDQr0vUHzba38phx-lJp6iiSbbShyc0scREgrom4698xu7i8w

Senior Sergeant Blaine confirmed that the little girl was unharmed when she was found. Credit: AP News.
The rescue of Cleo is not the first time the top detective has taken part in a high profile case — he has played crucial roles in some of Western Australia's biggest homicide investigations and ensured that justice is served to some of the state's worst killers.

One of the notable cases the sergeant has been on is the sentencing of Aaron Raymond Craig to a minimum of 19 years in prison in 2017 after he was found guilty of the murder of 25-year-old Bradley Hoddy, whom Craig buried in a remote pine forest in 2006.

Justice Michael Corboy described it as a 'very brutal and premeditated killing' while sentencing Craig.

The detective was also on top of the investigation on the murder of autistic 18-year-old Aaron Pajich-Sweetman who was found dead in Perth in 2016. The investigator interrogated the housemates of Pajich-Sweetman, Jemma Lilley and Trudi Lenon, who were both later sentenced to life in person.

Senior Sergeant Blaine grilled Perth father Ernest Fisher over the murder of his son, Matthew Fisher-Turner, whose body was found stabbed to death in the family home in 2016.

The sergeant was also one of the lead detectives on the Travis Mills case in 2015.

The 30-year-old man was found dead in the burned shell of his Ford Falcon Sedan in a vacant lot.

It was discovered later on that five people, including Mills' partner and her mother, planned and executed the killing of Mills.

What do you think of this case? Tell us in the comments below.

Sponsored
Amazing job by this detective and all others who worked tirelessly to find this little girl. The outcome was so heartwarming for the public but must have been indescribable in that moment of joy for those who found her alive and apparently well.

Reactions: Vinylted
I am so thrilled to see the joyful faces of young Cleo, and her mum, after this horrendous time of not knowing!! Most profound congratulations to all those who made such an effort to locate this little girl satisfactorily, you all need a medal for your tenacity, and brilliance!!!
Congratulations ad infinitem!!!!!!!

Reactions: Vinylted