Get the most bang for your buck! How one mum saved over $100 on her groceries by visiting the supermarket at this time of day!

We all know that one of the best ways to save money on groceries is to take advantage of sales and specials at our local supermarkets.

But what if we told you that there's an even better way to score massive savings on meat and other items?

And all it takes is for you to show up at the right time!

And no, we don’t mean visiting the supermarket every time there’s a sale. We mean showing up at a specific time. Around 3 PM, to be exact.

One lucky mum scored $140 worth of meat for only $37, all because she visited her local Coles late in the afternoon.

She posted her new ‘hack’ in the Facebook group, Markdown Addicts Australia, a group where shoppers share their bargain hauls and massive savings. In the post, the Queensland native said that her cheap find ‘couldn’t have come at a better time’, as she is currently a working student – while looking for a new home.

coles1.JPG
The mum showed an image of the slashed prices in her post. Credit: Facebook

‘Single mum, two kids. Currently in the process of looking for a new home, working, and studying full-time. It’s going to be a huge help! I’m so happy,’ she shared in her post and attached the image above.

The mum also said she was looking for a snack after work and popped in her local Coles at Southport Park. She discovered the marked-down prices at exactly 3.45 PM.

‘Finally, it was my turn to score the cheap meat! It couldn’t have come at a better time for us!’

In total, she was able to bag 16 items, including crumbed steak, Basa portions, pork cutlets, chicken drumsticks, steak, chicken schnitzel, beef chops, beef sausages, donuts, croissants, and crumpets.

‘The meat and croissants totalled $37, savings of $103,’ she said.

coles2.JPG
The mum said she saved over $100 in total. Credit: Federico Arnaboldi in Pexels

Bargain hunters from the Facebook group couldn’t have been happier for the single mum.

One woman wrote: ‘Good on you for scoring such a wonderful bargain. Wish I could find markdowns like that. Never seen anything like that in our local stores.’

‘I was the same all this time. Even my family kept getting the good bargains! I always get the 50c off lamb chop ones but finally, I scored big time,’ the mum replied.

‘Well done. So glad the markdown fairies were looking after you,’ added another.

Someone else said: ‘It always makes me so happy to hear of somebody getting a great scoop and the huge impact it has on their budget.’

Others gave the mum advice on the best way to store her grocery haul.

‘I fill the croissants with ham and cheese and freeze them in a container,’ said one woman. She also said to heat the pasty in the microwave or pop them in an air fryer. She also said that freezing the croissants will help them last longer. We’ll definitely give this advice a go next time!

The same woman added that putting a small piece of baking paper between crumpets and or bread rolls helps separate them before being frozen.

For meats, the mum was advised to cook as much meat as possible before their expiration dates, and then freeze the cooked meals. The rest of the raw meat should be stored in the freezer, too.

We recently wrote about a recipe ‘hack’ from Chef Jamie Oliver that uses leftover meat to feed a family of 10 (or simply have lots of leftovers to eat later). You can find that here.

Key Takeaways

• A lucky mum scored huge bargains on meat and groceries by visiting her local Coles supermarket late in the afternoon.
  • The mum saved over $100 on her purchase, bagging 16 items for only $37.
  • Aussie bargain hunters were quick to praise the savvy shopper, with many offering tips on how to make the most of her haul.
What are your thoughts on this? Better yet, have you encountered a similar situation before? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
I was happy this week to get a cooked chook reduced from $11 to $6. It's the only meat I bought and will do me at least 4 or 5 dinners plus some sandwiches.:)

Reactions: Rochelle
We all know that one of the best ways to save money on groceries is to take advantage of sales and specials at our local supermarkets.

But what if we told you that there's an even better way to score massive savings on meat and other items?

And all it takes is for you to show up at the right time!

And no, we don’t mean visiting the supermarket every time there’s a sale. We mean showing up at a specific time. Around 3 PM, to be exact.

One lucky mum scored $140 worth of meat for only $37, all because she visited her local Coles late in the afternoon.

She posted her new ‘hack’ in the Facebook group, Markdown Addicts Australia, a group where shoppers share their bargain hauls and massive savings. In the post, the Queensland native said that her cheap find ‘couldn’t have come at a better time’, as she is currently a working student – while looking for a new home.

View attachment 8434
The mum showed an image of the slashed prices in her post. Credit: Facebook

‘Single mum, two kids. Currently in the process of looking for a new home, working, and studying full-time. It’s going to be a huge help! I’m so happy,’ she shared in her post and attached the image above.

The mum also said she was looking for a snack after work and popped in her local Coles at Southport Park. She discovered the marked-down prices at exactly 3.45 PM.

‘Finally, it was my turn to score the cheap meat! It couldn’t have come at a better time for us!’

In total, she was able to bag 16 items, including crumbed steak, Basa portions, pork cutlets, chicken drumsticks, steak, chicken schnitzel, beef chops, beef sausages, donuts, croissants, and crumpets.

‘The meat and croissants totalled $37, savings of $103,’ she said.

View attachment 8435
The mum said she saved over $100 in total. Credit: Federico Arnaboldi in Pexels

Bargain hunters from the Facebook group couldn’t have been happier for the single mum.

One woman wrote: ‘Good on you for scoring such a wonderful bargain. Wish I could find markdowns like that. Never seen anything like that in our local stores.’

‘I was the same all this time. Even my family kept getting the good bargains! I always get the 50c off lamb chop ones but finally, I scored big time,’ the mum replied.

‘Well done. So glad the markdown fairies were looking after you,’ added another.

Someone else said: ‘It always makes me so happy to hear of somebody getting a great scoop and the huge impact it has on their budget.’

Others gave the mum advice on the best way to store her grocery haul.

‘I fill the croissants with ham and cheese and freeze them in a container,’ said one woman. She also said to heat the pasty in the microwave or pop them in an air fryer. She also said that freezing the croissants will help them last longer. We’ll definitely give this advice a go next time!

The same woman added that putting a small piece of baking paper between crumpets and or bread rolls helps separate them before being frozen.

For meats, the mum was advised to cook as much meat as possible before their expiration dates, and then freeze the cooked meals. The rest of the raw meat should be stored in the freezer, too.

We recently wrote about a recipe ‘hack’ from Chef Jamie Oliver that uses leftover meat to feed a family of 10 (or simply have lots of leftovers to eat later). You can find that here.

Key Takeaways

• A lucky mum scored huge bargains on meat and groceries by visiting her local Coles supermarket late in the afternoon.
  • The mum saved over $100 on her purchase, bagging 16 items for only $37.
  • Aussie bargain hunters were quick to praise the savvy shopper, with many offering tips on how to make the most of her haul.
What are your thoughts on this? Better yet, have you encountered a similar situation before? Let us know in the comments below!

I know it is always wonderful to save money if you can but, to buy all the available lower-costing meat shows only greed, not necessarily savings. I find all the gross savers are just selfish self-servers. Someone who doesn't think of anyone else.

Reactions: Reaper123 and Ricci