Get soft, dry towels in hours WITHOUT a tumble dryer (and save on energy bills!) with this simple trick

All too often, after a refreshing shower, it can be frustrating to discover that the towel you're about to use is still damp and wet from its last use. If you're in a rush, this extra step can really set you back – not to mention, wet towels are breeding grounds for bacteria!

But what's even worse is when your power bill comes in the mail, and you realise just how much money you're spending on running the tumble dryer to dry your clothes and towels! Yikes.

Thankfully, there's a simple solution that will not only save you time but also help cut back on your energy costs. All it takes is a bit of patience (which we know can be hard to come by) and some planning ahead.

A Facebook user recently turned to a UK 'cleanfluencer' Facebook group to ask for advice on how best to dry her towels without using a tumble dryer – given the current cost of living crisis. And we're so glad she did!

Screen Shot 2022-10-17 at 1.15.45 PM.png
People recommended putting towels on a short washing machine spin before hanging them to dry. Credit: Getty.

In response, another member of the group explained how she puts hers in the washing machine for the shortest spin possible (as it doesn't use as much energy as a tumble dryer) before hanging them up over a large surface like her dining table or bannisters.

This way, she can dry her towels and clothes without having to resort to the power-hungry tumble dryer. And to prevent any musty smells from developing in her home, she makes sure to open her windows and let some air in.

Walking other Facebook users through the process, she wrote in her post: 'Extra spin, put what clothes need to be on hangers and hang them up at the window with the window open... Towels, I tend to put over the door.'

That way, they'll have plenty of time to dry while also getting some fresh air at the same time – double win! Even if it takes a few extra hours for your laundry load to completely air-dry this way, it'll definitely be worth it in terms of both saving time AND money down the line.

Screen Shot 2022-10-17 at 1.15.38 PM.png
Damp towels are not only annoying to use, but can also become breeding grounds for germs and bacteria. Credit: Shutterstock/Olga Nikiforova.

Other Facebook users also shared that they altered their tumble dryer usage to save money by only allowing each load of clothes to dry for 10 minutes.

One user said: 'I do three spins with each load. I have a three-floor house and dining room, so I can put clothes to dry everywhere.'

'They're dry by the next morning. Bath towels dry over the bannisters, and then I put them in the tumble dryer for 10 minutes. It will soften the towels as they come out rough.'

Another added: 'With towels, I usually give them an extra spin or two before hanging them out. The more space in the washing machine drum, the better!'
Tip
To get the most water out of your clothing before hanging them to dry, give them a quick spin in the washing machine.
If you're looking for an even quicker alternative, others suggested swapping your traditional towels with microfibre cloths as they dry faster. Microfibre cloths are made from polyesters that are woven together, making them ideal for absorbing liquid and eliminating stains.

Here you have it, folks! Even though winter has long passed, the cool and chilly weather persists, which means we can't always rely on the sun to dry our belongings.

We hope this washing advice will be useful! If you have more to share with us, just comment below.

Sponsored
All too often, after a refreshing shower, it can be frustrating to discover that the towel you're about to use is still damp and wet from its last use. If you're in a rush, this extra step can really set you back – not to mention, wet towels are breeding grounds for bacteria!

But what's even worse is when your power bill comes in the mail, and you realise just how much money you're spending on running the tumble dryer to dry your clothes and towels! Yikes.

Thankfully, there's a simple solution that will not only save you time but also help cut back on your energy costs. All it takes is a bit of patience (which we know can be hard to come by) and some planning ahead.

A Facebook user recently turned to a UK 'cleanfluencer' Facebook group to ask for advice on how best to dry her towels without using a tumble dryer – given the current cost of living crisis. And we're so glad she did!

View attachment 7311
People recommended putting towels on a short washing machine spin before hanging them to dry. Credit: Getty.

In response, another member of the group explained how she puts hers in the washing machine for the shortest spin possible (as it doesn't use as much energy as a tumble dryer) before hanging them up over a large surface like her dining table or bannisters.

This way, she can dry her towels and clothes without having to resort to the power-hungry tumble dryer. And to prevent any musty smells from developing in her home, she makes sure to open her windows and let some air in.

Walking other Facebook users through the process, she wrote in her post: 'Extra spin, put what clothes need to be on hangers and hang them up at the window with the window open... Towels, I tend to put over the door.'

That way, they'll have plenty of time to dry while also getting some fresh air at the same time – double win! Even if it takes a few extra hours for your laundry load to completely air-dry this way, it'll definitely be worth it in terms of both saving time AND money down the line.

View attachment 7310
Damp towels are not only annoying to use, but can also become breeding grounds for germs and bacteria. Credit: Shutterstock/Olga Nikiforova.

Other Facebook users also shared that they altered their tumble dryer usage to save money by only allowing each load of clothes to dry for 10 minutes.

One user said: 'I do three spins with each load. I have a three-floor house and dining room, so I can put clothes to dry everywhere.'

'They're dry by the next morning. Bath towels dry over the bannisters, and then I put them in the tumble dryer for 10 minutes. It will soften the towels as they come out rough.'

Another added: 'With towels, I usually give them an extra spin or two before hanging them out. The more space in the washing machine drum, the better!'
Tip
To get the most water out of your clothing before hanging them to dry, give them a quick spin in the washing machine.
If you're looking for an even quicker alternative, others suggested swapping your traditional towels with microfibre cloths as they dry faster. Microfibre cloths are made from polyesters that are woven together, making them ideal for absorbing liquid and eliminating stains.

Here you have it, folks! Even though winter has long passed, the cool and chilly weather persists, which means we can't always rely on the sun to dry our belongings.

We hope this washing advice will be useful! If you have more to share with us, just comment below.
I use a out door line for all my washing it drys in the sun

View attachment 7311

View attachment 7310

Tip

If you can stand your house looking like a Chinese laundry that's fine but wet washing hanging everywhere makes the air really damp. Better to get a folding clothes line and just do one load of washing each day and keep it in the laundry.

If you can stand your house looking like a Chinese laundry that's fine but wet washing hanging everywhere makes the air really damp. Better to get a folding clothes line and just do one load of washing each day and keep it in the laundry.
I invested in a heat pump 8kg dryer. they are 8 star rated (most dryers are only 1 or 2). It's certainly been a good investment.
Sun is always the best option obviously, but not always available!

I have a line strung across the veranda posts under the eaves. My washing always dries without worry of rain, it never fades and costs nothing. I use the hills hoist for sheets and doonas.

View attachment 7311

View attachment 7310

Tip

In uk the houses Re full of damp because yhey dry clothes on radiators australia not many days we cant hang washing out

Reactions: Phyll and Ezzy
People who live or have lived in flats or blocks of units have told me they cannot/will not put clothes on an outside clothes line for fear of having these stolen. They stated there were only a few rotary hoists & they often had to use one which already had someone elses washing on it.

I use a out door line for all my washing it drys in the sun
Why on earth would you have washing draped all over the house, instead of on a clothesline? In any event it's actually air movement which dries not sun, so it's ok if your line isn't in full sun all day - I had my back yard landscaped years ago & the architect tucked the line on the south east side of the house. I nearly had a fit - but she was correct, the clothes dried fine

Reactions: Ezzy and Phyll