Goodbloke

Oct 12, 2021
Perth, Western Australia
Geneology / Family Trees / Facebook Groups

Since I retired 2 years ago I have been at first dabbling in creating my family tree, now building momentum as a few things start to fall together.
A prompt in Ancestry showed me that my Aunt had passed away 6 years ago. I remember attending her funeral, so I gathered together what I knew and posted on FaceBook in a group I am in "Lost Albany". Well the results were very interesting, a cousin aged 91 popped up with a comment, then another, then another, that led to 3 solid leads and connection to people that knew my family. The 91 year old is a hive of information. I thought I would share just a bit as we should remember those that came before us.

" Today I remember my Aunty Elva as she passed away 6 years ago today.
When Elva Esther SAMPSON was born on 4 November 1923 in Albany, Western Australia, her father, Walter Edwin Sampson, was 23, and her mother, Ethel May Sampson (nee Garraty), was 30.
Elva joined up in July of 1943 in Albany, and was trained at Claremont Teachers College in Perth, then served at Buckland Hill as a gunner, then was promoted to a radar operator. Discharged in late March of 1946 Elva returned and promptly married her soul mate Arthur Robert Roatch on 30 March 1946.
Arthur had faked his age and joined up in 1941 at just 16, was trained in Signals and served in Lae in New Guinea in 1943. Arthur also served in Rabaul. He returned in February of 1946.
Elva and Arthur had two children during their marriage. Arthur passed in 2003.
Elva died on 30 June 2016 in Perth, Western Australia, at the age of 92, and was buried in Nedlands, Western Australia.
Lest We Forget their service "

I must say that comments like these below were unexpected --->

"What an amazing tribute to mum Trevor, thank you so much. There was information in there that even I didn’t know. It is also a great photo of her.
I have recently started on our family tree but haven’t yet touched on mums side. Dads side has been keeping me busy."

"I did not know all those things about Aunty Elva, thanks for sharing. Dianne, Reed, née Sampson"

" Hi,Trevor Such a nice memorialto Elves life .Thank you for putting on Facebook. I often wonder about other relatives and how they are going.I live here in Albany on my own and managing by myself My daughter ,Rosemary lives in Mornington Vic .and is planning on coming over soon to be here with me .I will be 91 in November Hope you and your family are all well .Norma

291341502_10160001949661772_3216835845118263604_n.jpg

Building a family tree is an interesting pastime, it's little moments like these that give you a jump ahead. All 3 of these people are now my friends on Facebook and feeding me snippits of info for which I am grateful.
Anyone else playing in family tree's ?
cheers Trevor

I researched the family after retiring in 2006 until 2018
I held formal interviews with elderly family members and researched many generations as we have a very big family.
One gg grandparents migrated to Australia from Scotland in 1837. They had 10 sons and 1 daughter they settled in Picton
Another gg grandparent came to Oz in 1842
They had 5 sons and 5 dayghters they settled in Guildford
They were my fathers great grandparents.

My mums grandparents arrived in 1886 with one child,another was born soon after arriiving, then in 1900 they returned to England with seven children to see King George and Queen Mary Coronation, stayed there until 1906 then returned with 10 children. There was one more girl born in Oz in 1908 family complete.
My mums Dad immigrated in 1911 to Albany,
In 1920 he met my Nan and they were married at xmas 1922 settled in Bridgetown

Reactions: Goodbloke