From the Experts: Nightmares and Sleep Terrors (Part 1)

Note from the Editor:
This article was written for the SDC by psychologist and member @Jan A. Jan A. works part-time, taking on clients under the Medicare Mental Health Care Plans. She works with people of all ages, from children to seniors!

Do you suffer from nightmares? It seems about 45 per cent of the population suffers from bad dreams or nightmares at times during their life.

Some people have a lot of nightmares while others have only a few, but it is a common experience in humans that many of us sometimes have frightening dreams. While they generate anxiety in our sleep, nightmares and dreams can help us relieve the stress of daily life by allowing us to express our deepest feelings in a controlled way, like steam escaping from a kettle. By expressing emotions in a safe environment, our waking stress levels are reduced, and negative feelings are dissipated. It is all about achieving emotional balance and peace of mind.

Last edited:
Sponsored
I dream a lot, l have dreamt of really going off at people in my life that l was frightened of in earlier life that l could never have stood up to.
I often dream of people who have passed on. Every dream l have now, l am walking like l use to. The past three years l have had to use crutches around the house and a walker outside the house. Walks, shopping so on. I believe it's in my deep thoughts l probably wish and miss being able to get up walk fast unaided like l use to without fear of falling. I accept my disabilities really well. It is what it is l don't grieve for what l have lost, but maybe l am deep in my mind without feeling it and it comes out in my dreams.
Kind regards to all Vicki

I dream a lot, l have dreamt of really going off at people in my life that l was frightened of in earlier life that l could never have stood up to.
I often dream of people who have passed on. Every dream l have now, l am walking like l use to. The past three years l have had to use crutches around the house and a walker outside the house. Walks, shopping so on. I believe it's in my deep thoughts l probably wish and miss being able to get up walk fast unaided like l use to without fear of falling. I accept my disabilities really well. It is what it is l don't grieve for what l have lost, but maybe l am deep in my mind without feeling it and it comes out in my dreams.
What an inspiration you are Vicki! Take care of yourself.

Oh Vicky l know exactly what you mean . l use a quad stick to get around and it is so scary when you feel like you might fall over especially when turning round.l hate being so useless and dependent but it's been a long time since my accident and like you l have accepted it and try not be a bother. All the best to you

Oh Vicky l know exactly what you mean . l use a quad stick to get around and it is so scary when you feel like you might fall over especially when turning round.l hate being so useless and dependent but it's been a long time since my accident and like you l have accepted it and try not be a bother. All the best to you
Take care Ebby, sorry for your very difficult situation but do ask for help when necessary for your wellbeing.

Hi Ebby, thank you for your kind words. Yes darling we just have to accept what our bodies allow us to do, at times it can be very frustrating. Like you l try not to bother anyone either. We must stay as independent and as happy as we can be. We just have accept what life throws our way. You are spot on about the fear of falling l have had 15 in total and the past few years l have lost all strength and cannot get up without help and trauma.
You take care darling and keep doing the best you can.
Kind regards Vicki

Hi Ebby, thank you for your kind words. Yes darling we just have to accept what our bodies allow us to do, at times it can be very frustrating. Like you l try not to bother anyone either. We must stay as independent and as happy as we can be. We just have accept what life throws our way. You are spot on about the fear of falling l have had 15 in total and the past few years l have lost all strength and cannot get up without help and trauma.
You take care darling and keep doing the best you can.
Kind regards Vicki
Hi Vicky so pleased the words helped you and wish l could come up with something more useful. Have you tried the quad stick the three prongs are not as likely to slip and would give you more grip. Falling 15 times is too many and be careful you don't break your hip.l've heard there is some form of padding you can wear for that but l haven't tried it.l wouldn't be able to get up if l fell either. l hope you have someone around you just in case you do but lets hope you don't.You take care too and keep on keeping on. All best wishes to you.

Hi Vicky so pleased the words helped you and wish l could come up with something more useful. Have you tried the quad stick the three prongs are not as likely to slip and would give you more grip. Falling 15 times is too many and be careful you don't break your hip.l've heard there is some form of padding you can wear for that but l haven't tried it.l wouldn't be able to get up if l fell either. l hope you have someone around you just in case you do but lets hope you don't.You take care too and keep on keeping on. All best wishes to you.
Oh Ebby darling. I need the crutches because my spine curves to right so that is which way l fall. I have been blessed with some extra cushioning 🤭l often joke 🤣 🤣 and say God has a sense of humour and made me curvy because l don't know how l have not broken my hip. Besides bruising and grazes l have only broken my foot. I have to be honest it brings the black dog on after each fall. Trying to get up is where the panic sets in. I have my phone down my bra constantly if l need to ring my husband. In saying that my last fall was about a month ago l was putting out washing down l went. No phone on me it's still in the kitchen on the bench. Ok try stay calm how do l get back inside. Think think 🤔. Ok bum shuffle 15 metres throwing the crutches ahead of me. By the time l got to the kitchen was in a panic managed to use the crutch to push the phone to where l could reach it rang my husband. It's really not pleasant as you know.
Anyway thank you for advice and kind thoughts.
Please take care of yourself.
We are tuff stuff 💪 we have to be.
Take care darling.
Vicki

oh dear l'm going nuts l should have said four prongs.When did a :):)quad stick have three prongs?

:) :)

Oh Ebby darling. I need the crutches because my spine curves to right so that is which way l fall. I have been blessed with some extra cushioning 🤭l often joke 🤣 🤣 and say God has a sense of humour and made me curvy because l don't know how l have not broken my hip. Besides bruising and grazes l have only broken my foot. I have to be honest it brings the black dog on after each fall. Trying to get up is where the panic sets in. I have my phone down my bra constantly if l need to ring my husband. In saying that my last fall was about a month ago l was putting out washing down l went. No phone on me it's still in the kitchen on the bench. Ok try stay calm how do l get back inside. Think think 🤔. Ok bum shuffle 15 metres throwing the crutches ahead of me. By the time l got to the kitchen was in a panic managed to use the crutch to push the phone to where l could reach it rang my husband. It's really not pleasant as you know.
Anyway thank you for advice and kind thoughts.
Please take care of yourself.
We are tuff stuff 💪 we have to be.
Take care darling.
Vicki
Hi Vicki just saying there is also the Medical Alert Necklace which alerts someone when the emergency button is pressed . l haven't activated mine yet. l live with my two sons and grand-daughter and there is always one of them around and l am so grateful for that.Don't want to keep harping on but there is also a government package which helps with careworkers that will help you with washing and housework . Must have been so scary falling like that but lucky you could shuffle l can understand the panic l get like that when l can't get off the toilet :mad:, oh well they're people worse off than me.Message me anytime if l can help.All the best Shirley

Hi Vicki just saying there is also the Medical Alert Necklace which alerts someone when the emergency button is pressed . l haven't activated mine yet. l live with my two sons and grand-daughter and there is always one of them around and l am so grateful for that.Don't want to keep harping on but there is also a government package which helps with careworkers that will help you with washing and housework . Must have been so scary falling like that but lucky you could shuffle l can understand the panic l get like that when l can't get off the toilet :mad:, oh well they're people worse off than me.Message me anytime if l can help.All the best Shirley
Oh Shirley, you are such a beautiful kind soul. Yes l thought about one of those alarms to put around my neck.
As l am only 61 l feel young in the mind but my body is very old l have oesto arthritis from my neck to my toes only place l have not got it is my hips. Also spinal stenosis and curved spin and fibromyalgia and a lung problem bronchitiess which is scaring of the lungs which was brought on by pneumonia around 7 years ago. So l produce lots of phelym unfortunately. Others get a cold l get pneumonia. I go for a walk every day with my dog using a walker l still do all my house work using one or the two crutches. Sadly l cannot do anything outside anymore but hubby does that.
I get very tired and l do push myself.. But life is for living. And as you say there is worse off.
I am glad you love with family it's so important to be loved and needed.
I have hand rails in loo, l suppose l am not telling you something you already have. I find it difficult using the loo when l am out visiting l need hubby to come with me to help me get off the loo.
Please take care Shirley keep in touch darling.
Best wishes to you Vicki x

Oh Shirley, you are such a beautiful kind soul. Yes l thought about one of those alarms to put around my neck.
As l am only 61 l feel young in the mind but my body is very old l have oesto arthritis from my neck to my toes only place l have not got it is my hips. Also spinal stenosis and curved spin and fibromyalgia and a lung problem bronchitiess which is scaring of the lungs which was brought on by pneumonia around 7 years ago. So l produce lots of phelym unfortunately. Others get a cold l get pneumonia. I go for a walk every day with my dog using a walker l still do all my house work using one or the two crutches. Sadly l cannot do anything outside anymore but hubby does that.
I get very tired and l do push myself.. But life is for living. And as you say there is worse off.
I am glad you love with family it's so important to be loved and needed.
I have hand rails in loo, l suppose l am not telling you something you already have. I find it difficult using the loo when l am out visiting l need hubby to come with me to help me get off the loo.
Please take care Shirley keep in touch darling.
Best wishes to you Vicki x
Hi Vicki thankyou for saying that but l'm sure l am just like most people and like yourself try to be nice but l can be a pain in the butt to some . About you though you have so many problems to cope with you poor dear l do hope someone comes up with something to fix you up or at least help.You take care too and l will be in touch.All the best.

Hi Vicki thankyou for saying that but l'm sure l am just like most people and like yourself try to be nice but l can be a pain in the butt to some . About you though you have so many problems to cope with you poor dear l do hope someone comes up with something to fix you up or at least help.You take care too and l will be in touch.All the best.
💝💐🥰

I find l am having recurring nightmares / flashbacks to the worst 4 years of my life as l believe them to be. The period from 1968 - 1972 when doing my Apprenticeship under a Scottish foreman who appear to have singled me out to make life as hard as possible. There was another apprentice who regularly disappeared from the workshop to sunbake on the roof but he was safe.

I find l am having recurring nightmares / flashbacks to the worst 4 years of my life as l believe them to be. The period from 1968 - 1972 when doing my Apprenticeship under a Scottish foreman who appear to have singled me out to make life as hard as possible. There was another apprentice who regularly disappeared from the workshop to sunbake on the roof but he was safe.
Sounds like you may have PTSD it's amazing how one person can have such a negative impact on our souls. I think our emotional pain can come out in our dreams nightmares.
Take care.
Kind regards Vicki

Reactions: Jo Piper3 and Ezzy