From snags to riches? Bunnings' sausage sizzle update sparks outcry as prices increase

Most Australians recognise the aroma of barbecued sausages and the sizzle of Bunnings weekend community fundraisers.

A quintessential part of the weekend shopping experience, the beloved fundraisers combine the allure of freshly grilled sausages nestled in fluffy white bread with the warm camaraderie of community gatherings.

However, that familiar tradition is feeling the hard pinch of the recent cost of living crisis across Australia, manifesting in an alarming announcement from the hardware giant.

Bunnings confirmed a price hike for all drinks sold at their community sausage sizzles since February 1, with each can costing $2—a 50 cent increase from its previous price.

The additional 50 cents might seem meagre, but when viewed in the context of thrifty deals expected, the impact is substantial.

However, the price of everyone's favourite sausage-in-bread—with or without onions—will remain at $3.50.

compressed-shutterstock_2308589129.jpeg
Bunnings announced an increase in the price of drinks at its community sausage sizzles from $1.50 to $2 starting February 1. Credits: Shutterstock

The reason for the price increase, according to a Bunnings spokesperson, came ‘in response to feedback from community groups’.

The spokesperson said these groups have ‘seen a decline’ in recent profits.

‘The change responds to calls from local community groups, not-for-profits, and charities that have seen a decline in funds raised due to the increased cost of the goods required to run the BBQ,’ they explained.

This isn't the first time Bunnings has raised their prices.

In 2022, the price of the iconic sausage sizzles rose by $1 to $3.50, driven by the same reason—the spiralling cost of ingredients was becoming hard for the community groups to manage.

To comprehend the significance of these increases, it's crucial to remember that prior to this change, the cost of these food items remained untouched for more than 15 years.

Naturally, the news induced a mixed reaction among the public.

For one, the slight increase means that their usual $5 can no longer cover a sausage and a drink.

‘Going from $5 to $5.50 is going to mean less money,’ they said.

‘People might not have 50 cents just laying around in their cars.’

Nonetheless, many others saw the brighter side, pointing out that there is always an EFTPOS (electronic funds transfer at point of sale) option offered, among other things.

They also called attention to the fact that—despite the price rise—a $2 drink at Bunnings remained significantly cheaper than most supermarkets and remembered that the profit isn't feeding into the pockets of shareholders, but funnelling directly back into the community.

‘[Two dollars] a can is still cheaper than anywhere else, and the margin isn't going to shareholders, it's going into the community,’ one commented.

‘I'll elect to be annoyed at who we all know jacked up the prices of cans to begin with. Coles and Woolworths,’ another replied.

For over a quarter of a century, the community sausage sizzle has been a consistent fixture at Bunnings stores.

While Bunnings oversees the logistics, including pricing and menu choices, these events are managed by charitable organisations and local community groups.

Bunnings furnishes the necessary equipment like gazebos, barbecues, and tables, while the participating groups contribute the ingredients.

Typically, sausages, bread, onions, sauces, and beverages are generously donated by nearby businesses.

In 2022 alone, these sausage sizzles collectively raised over $29 million for 54,000 local community groups.

This is not the first major change in the tradition in recent years.

In 2023, another controversial change was introduced, sparking reactions from community groups. You can read more about it here.
Key Takeaways
  • Bunnings increased the price of drinks at its community sausage sizzles from $1.50 to $2 due to Australia's inflation crisis.
  • The cost of sausages will remain at $3.50, ideally supporting community groups in maintaining profitability amidst rising costs.
  • Community groups had seen a decline in the funds raised, prompting the decision to raise drink prices to aid these groups.
  • Despite the price hike, many saw the cost as still reasonable and appreciated that the funds raised go towards community initiatives rather than corporate profits.
Have you ever participated in the Bunnings sausage sizzle? What are your thoughts about this price increase? Let us know in the comments below.

Reactions: Ezzy and Harro1948
Sponsored
If I ever buy one I always give them more than asked for because they are community groups Bunnings don't make any money from them

Reactions: Ezzy
I guess prices going up everywhere, this sausage sizzle is bound to go up too. Lucky here in WA we get our sausages in a bun, so much better than a bit of bread. I will often think I must go to Bunnings and then put it off till the weekend.

Reactions: Ezzy
I was involved with a sausage sizzle @ a Bunnings store late last year to raise funds for our organisation. This was very successful for us, the first time tried, people were very generous & was a lot of fun for volunteers.

Everything was bought at bargain prices due to co-operation from businesses. Overall though this would not have been possible without the generous assistance from Bunnings & it's staff. If we needed to purchase gas for the BBQ & provide tents etc. the profits would have been down.

I am not sure about the extra 50 cents for a drink because these can be bought well in advance when they are on special & still give a good overall profit for the day. I am concerned people will not wish to pay the extra leaving groups with a load of drinks to get rid of somehow.