From scam awareness to meta-scams: Fraud's growing complexity

In an age where our inboxes and phones are constantly barraged with phishing emails and scam calls, Australians have become increasingly vigilant.

However, our growing awareness of scams has led to a new, insidious type of fraud: the meta-scam.

This is where scammers prey on our fear of being scammed, presenting themselves as saviours only to dupe us again.

Scammers, aware of the public's heightened awareness of scams, have begun impersonating organisations that offer help to scam victims or claim to be able to recover lost funds.

Kam-Fung Cheung, a lecturer at the University of New South Wales School of Information Systems and Technology Management, describes this approach as ‘authority exploitation’.

‘People tend to trust and comply with requests when they believe they are dealing with a trustworthy source,’ he said

1720755511405.png
Scammers posed as organisations or authorities offering help to victims or claiming they could recover lost money. Credit: Shutterstock

‘This tactic — authority exploitation — leverages people's trust in authority to make them less likely to question the authenticity of the communication.’

‘They're also known to use emotional manipulation, invoking fear and urgency to push victims into acting impulsively, such as providing one-time passcodes without proper verification.’

‘This tactic plays on fear and urgency, pushing victims to act impulsively, such as providing the one-time passcode, without verifying the legitimacy of the communication.’

One example is exploiting the National Anti-Scam Centre's (NASC) reputation.

The NASC, an initiative under the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC), is a legitimate government body that protects Australians from scams.

Yet, criminals have been cold-calling individuals, posing as NASC employees, and spinning tales of a scam linked to the victim's phone number in China.

They offer to 'clear your record' but instead use the opportunity to extract personal and financial information, which can lead to bank theft.

They may employ techniques such as 'spoofing' to make it appear that their calls come from genuine government or police numbers.

Another tactic involves scammers targeting victims again by pretending to be fund recovery services, cyber security organisations, or even lawyers and consumer advocacy groups.

They promise to retrieve money lost to previous scams, asking for fees or personal details, only to steal more funds from the victim.

The ACCC warned that legitimate scam investigation services rarely recover money, as most stolen funds are quickly transferred offshore.

‘Legitimate scam investigation services are rarely able to recover money for scam victims,’ an ACCC statement said.

‘Unfortunately, most money stolen by criminals is transferred offshore quickly, making recovering funds difficult.’

It's more than just mentioning names and using scare tactics—scammers employ various techniques to enhance the credibility of their lies.

‘Regarding SMS, scammers can use the SMS Sender ID of trusted authorities and businesses such as Medicare to make the message "genuinely" sent from them,’ Dr Cheung said.

‘Regarding email, scammers can change their aliases and names to appear as the emails sent from a trusted authority.’

These criminals make cold calls and advertise, mimicking legitimate businesses.

According to ACCC deputy chair Catriona Lowe, there have been reports of people being deceived by these fraudulent schemes.

‘Victims unknowingly proactively contacted criminals after seeing advertisements online,’ she said.

‘As part of our initial response, the National Anti-Scam Centre has referred two websites used in recovery scams for take-down action.‘

‘One has been successfully taken down already.’

You can protect yourself by verifying the identity of callers and the source of messages.

If someone claims to be from a trusted authority, do your due diligence to confirm their identity before engaging further.

‘If someone claims to be from a trusted authority, verify their identity before answering any questions.‘ Dr Cheung said.

‘If you cannot verify the caller, hang up immediately.’

If someone claims to be a loved one and you're suspicious, Dr Cheung suggested verifying their identity by discussing details that only you and your loved one would know.

‘If you receive an email from an unknown sender, always verify the domain before acting on its contents,’

Tip
People are urged to report scams to the National Anti-Scam Centre's Scamwatch website, even if they haven't suffered financial losses.

You can report cybercrimes to the police via the Australian Cyber Security Centre's online portal.

If you suspect identity theft, contact IDCARE, a nonprofit organisation known as Australia's national identity and cyber support service.
Key Takeaways
  • Scammers posed as organisations or authorities offering help to scam victims or claiming they can recover lost money, using this as a new tactic to exploit people.
  • The National Anti-Scam Centre, part of the ACCC, warned that they will never ask for personal or financial details or money.
  • Victims can be scammed a second time by fraudulent money recovery services asking for fees or personal details to 'help' recover lost funds, often leading to more financial losses.
  • The ACCC advised against using services offered to recover scam losses due to difficulties distinguishing between legitimate and fraudulent services, lack of transparency, and the unlikelihood of recovering funds.
Have you encountered any of these meta-scams? How do you stay vigilant against these ever-evolving threats? Share your experiences and tips in the comments below.

Sponsored
If it's a cold caller it's a scam. If it's email or text contact the company first to check. Or just ignore it. Take the time to make a call to what ever company they say they are from.. These people feed on fear and panic. Oh we can help bla blah. It's so sad everyone is always in a hurry and to trusting now we live in a very different world now. Take the time to double check everything.
Kind regards to all Vicki

If it's a cold caller it's a scam. If it's email or text contact the company first to check. Or just ignore it. Take the time to make a call to what ever company they say they are from.. These people feed on fear and panic. Oh we can help bla blah. It's so sad everyone is always in a hurry and to trusting now we live in a very different world now. Take the time to double check everything.
Kind regards to all Vicki

Very well expressed.

I got what appeared to be a legitimate email from paypal. It was very good. Correctly addressing me and referring to my account correctly and telling me my bank had declined a payment to such and such for $78.60. I didn’t recognise any of the information and the requirement to click into my account for further info seemed ok. However,it contained a link to “paypal” that required me to log in. Nope. So I closed everything,rebooted and went to paypal via my normal route. No declines to be found,everything fine and dandy. Called the bank and got the same. No declines. Bearing in mind I’m hyper aware of crappy links and don’t click things that look the slightest bit dodgy,this was a very very good bit of mirroring. There was no indication in the address bar to indicate the site was anything but what it professed to be. The email itself,when compared to legitimate ones,was perfectly replicated. So be careful folks!

I got what appeared to be a legitimate email from paypal. It was very good. Correctly addressing me and referring to my account correctly and telling me my bank had declined a payment to such and such for $78.60. I didn’t recognise any of the information and the requirement to click into my account for further info seemed ok. However,it contained a link to “paypal” that required me to log in. Nope. So I closed everything,rebooted and went to paypal via my normal route. No declines to be found,everything fine and dandy. Called the bank and got the same. No declines. Bearing in mind I’m hyper aware of crappy links and don’t click things that look the slightest bit dodgy,this was a very very good bit of mirroring. There was no indication in the address bar to indicate the site was anything but what it professed to be. The email itself,when compared to legitimate ones,was perfectly replicated. So be careful folks!

Thank you. Excellent information.
Yes the level of sophistication by mega business scammers is ramping up and so indeed must our awareness levels. They are tapping into the psychology of responses to certain scenarios. Means just go back to basics in all instances as you did. Don't act on requests. Assume the worst. If in doubt ask someone you trust.

What a sad world we are now living in where trust has virtually disappeared.
IMO the only way these pond scum scammers will ever be brought under control, at least to some degree of, is to substantially increase penalties to a level that reflects the damage they are causing in people's lives. It is no secret that the courts have become ineffective re sentencing offenders, particularly juveniles or those playing the mental health card.
The more I see of how this world is going the more convinced I am that vigilantism will be inevitable in the foreseeable future - and I'm not sure that that would be such a bad thing. If the judiciary can't solve the issue maybe people power can. At least it couldn't hurt, except in the case of the offenders. 🤔😎