Friends and family say their last goodbyes to the beloved Cal Wilson

Comedian, writer and television presenter Cal Wilson was celebrated at a moving funeral service yesterday, as those whose lives she had enriched with her gifts gathered to pay tribute.

Cal, just 53 years young, had been diagnosed with an exceptionally rare and aggressive cancer only a short time prior. The news came as a terrible shock to her legions of fans and the comedy community she was so beloved within.

Originally from New Zealand, Wilson moved to Australia in 2003 and soon became a fixture on the stand-up circuit. She won Best Newcomer at the Melbourne International Comedy Festival and appeared at the event an impressive 14 times over her decorated career.

In addition to stand-up and stage shows, Wilson regularly appeared on beloved Australian TV programs like Have You Been Paying Attention?, Rove Live, Good News Week, Spicks and Specks, The Project, and Hughesy, We Have a Problem.

She also co-hosted The Great Australian Bake Off alongside Natalie Tran.

Screenshot 2023-11-03 at 8.42.54 AM.png
Family and friends of Cal Wilson gathered on Thursday to farewell the beloved comedian. Credit: Instagram/Felicity Ward.

But to those who knew Cal best, she will always be remembered for her generosity of spirit, her mischievous sense of humour, and her ability to light up any room with her warm and vivacious presence.

At the funeral service, friends took to the podium to pay moving tributes.

On social media, fellow comedian Felicity Ward wrote a post about the heartfelt service, saying: 'Today we said farewell to my darling Cal.'

She then recalled Cal's 'little chipmunk voice and her magical dimples', saying she 'zapped everyone she met with her joy and curiosity and wonder'.

'We cried and we laughed and we cried and we sang. I wish she was there to see how many and how much people loved her.'

Through tears of both laughter and sadness, Ward spoke of Cal's passion for life and her talent for befriending anyone and everyone. She even likened her to an 'op shop'; in a way, they're both 'all trinkets and giggles'.

'It was an honour to be asked to even speak about her. If I had more time, I could speak about her until the wick of forever was put out,' the comedian added.

'I want to say hundreds and hundreds of words, but all of them would only mean the same thing: I love you so much, and I will miss you always.'

Ward's post ended with: 'Bye, sweet friend. Cal Wilson, bye for the last time.'

Another person commented on Ward's post, saying: 'Loved what you said for her today.'

'Everything you said was perfect. Love you xo,' someone else agreed and added, with a third saying, 'You spoke beautifully, so much heart. I wish I could have been there, I watched and cried through the entire thing. What a stunning farewell.'

Key Takeaways

• Beloved comedian Cal Wilson passed away at the age of 53 after a short battle with a rare form of cancer.
  • Friends and family gathered on Thursday to say their goodbyes at her funeral, with many sharing touching tributes on social media.
  • Wilson was remembered as a talented writer, performer and generous person, leaving a hole in the comedy community.
  • Wilson, who was most recently the host of Foxtel's Great Australian Bake Off, was a staple of the Melbourne Comedy Festival, having performed there 14 times across her career.

As attendees both cried and laughed at cherished memories, it was clear Cal Wilson had touched the hearts of everyone present.

Though gone far too soon, her luminescent spirit and gift for comedy will live on in the memories of all who knew Australia's favourite funny lady. She leaves behind an enormous light that will shine forever in the comedy community.

Vale, Cal Wilson. You brought more laughter to this world than you ever knew.

Sponsored