Freedom and change: Couple ditches house, embraces nomadic lifestyle

There’s nothing more exciting than a good road trip.

But as we get older, taking off in the car and travelling around the country for months can be daunting.

Not for this couple, though.

Fifty-eight-year-old Louise Ritchie and Bruce McCullough, 64, are travelling Australia in a car, taking house-sitting gigs here and there to make their dream a reality.

When Ritchie first floated the idea to McCullough of selling their Kingscliff property and venturing full-time around the country, McCullough took a little bit of convincing, but has since relished the nomadic lifestyle.

'We're basically on the move all the time,' Louise said. 'We get to experience so many different things that you can never forget ... especially out in the country,' Ritchie said.

Using social media or other online forums to find house-sitting gigs, Ritchie and McCullough are able to explore different places and experience different cultures.

The couple has recently spent two months in Longreach, a town in Central West Queensland, where it can be difficult to secure rentals, especially if you frequently go out of town.

daniel-j-schwarz-8wXw9aaOZd8-unsplash.jpg
Louise Ritchie and Bruce McCullough decided to adopt the nomadic lifestyle. Credit: abc.net.au

It's not just to save money; McCullough is also able to offers his dental services while travelling to their destinations of choice.

McCullough has been a dentist for over 40 years before he took the adventure of travelling the country.

'For me professionally, even thought I've graduated 43 years ago, I've grown the most in the last six, seven years,' Bruce said.

'In more outback areas it's very difficult to get any of the health professionals, so they're always open to having an extra person there ... The advantage of dentistry is you can take it with you … it's not a site-specific job,’ he added.

House-sitting isn't just a great way for seniors to explore the country and save money. According to a 2021 study, half of those surveyed said financial issues were the main factor in driving them to house-sit.

Dr Dorina Pojani, University of Queensland Associate Professor of Urban Planning, said that more people have been leaning towards unconventional housing.

‘We need to figure out how to provide alternative options for people who are stuck in that situations where all they can afford is house-sitting,’ Dr Pojani said.

‘From a policy perspective, we need to figure out how to quantify this.’

daniel-j-schwarz-8wXw9aaOZd8-unsplash.jpg
A study shows that financial constraint is one of the factors for many to house-sit. Credit. Unsplash

Buying a new home is a stretch for anyone in today’s housing market, especially if you’re searching a home that fits all your needs and wants. Just like in the story of one man who decided to share his experience when he bought a $60,000 home. You can read more about it here.

For Ritchie and McCullough, it would be a struggle for them to afford another home if they were to settle down in one spot.

On affording another home, Ritchie said, ‘What we used to have is nothing like what we could afford now.’

McCullough said, ‘One of these days we're not going to be capable of setting up caravans and looking after properties … but until then I'm enjoying the different locations, different workplaces, and being able to be more free.’

'I don't like change, he added. 'And yet, for the last seven years, we've done nothing but change.'

What do you think of this story? Let us know in the comments below!
Key Takeaways

• Louise Ritchie and Bruce McCullough sold their five-bedroom house to embrace a nomadic lifestyle of full-time house-sitting and travel.
  • With a caravan and through social media, the couple finds house-sitting opportunities and Bruce, a dentist, offers his services wherever they house-sit.
  • As the housing market tightens, house-sitting has become an attractive form of rent-free accommodation for some older Australians.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-25 at 1.57.27 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-25 at 1.57.27 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Sponsored
In hindsight, not knowing that housing will increase in price every year, I bet they wished that they had rented their house out, and not sold it, and just used their savings to buy a van and tour around Australia.

But as we get older, taking off in the car and travelling around the country for months can be daunting.

Fifty-eight-year-old Louise Ritchie and Bruce McCullough, 64, are travelling Australia in a car, taking house-sitting gigs here and there to make their dream a reality.

When Ritchie first floated the idea to McCullough of selling their Kingscliff property and venturing full-time around the country, McCullough took a little bit of convincing, but has since relished the nomadic lifestyle.

'We're basically on the move all the time,' Louise said. 'We get to experience so many different things that you can never forget ... especially out in the country,' Ritchie said.

Using social media or other online forums to find house-sitting gigs, Ritchie and McCullough are able to explore different places and experience different cultures.

The couple has recently spent two months in Longreach, a town in Central West Queensland, where it can be difficult to secure rentals, especially if you frequently go out of town.

View attachment 33017
Louise Ritchie and Bruce McCullough decided to adopt the nomadic lifestyle. Credit: abc.net.au

It's not just to save money; McCullough is also able to offers his dental services while travelling to their destinations of choice.

McCullough has been a dentist for over 40 years before he took the adventure of travelling the country.

'For me professionally, even thought I've graduated 43 years ago, I've grown the most in the last six, seven years,' Bruce said.

'In more outback areas it's very difficult to get any of the health professionals, so they're always open to having an extra person there ... The advantage of dentistry is you can take it with you … it's not a site-specific job,’ he added.

House-sitting isn't just a great way for seniors to explore the country and save money. According to a 2021 study, half of those surveyed said financial issues were the main factor in driving them to house-sit.

Dr Dorina Pojani, University of Queensland Associate Professor of Urban Planning, said that more people have been leaning towards unconventional housing.

‘We need to figure out how to provide alternative options for people who are stuck in that situations where all they can afford is house-sitting,’ Dr Pojani said.

View attachment 33017
A study shows that financial constraint is one of the factors for many to house-sit. Credit. Unsplash

Buying a new home is a stretch for anyone in today’s housing market, especially if you’re searching a home that fits all your needs and wants. Just like in the story of one man who decided to share his experience when he bought a $60,000 home. You can read more about it here.

For Ritchie and McCullough, it would be a struggle for them to afford another home if they were to settle down in one spot.

On affording another home, Ritchie said, ‘What we used to have is nothing like what we could afford now.’

McCullough said, ‘One of these days we're not going to be capable of setting up caravans and looking after properties … but until then I'm enjoying the different locations, different workplaces, and being able to be more free.’

'I don't like change, he added. 'And yet, for the last seven years, we've done nothing but change.'

Key Takeaways

• Louise Ritchie and Bruce McCullough sold their five-bedroom house to embrace a nomadic lifestyle of full-time house-sitting and travel.
  • With a caravan and through social media, the couple finds house-sitting opportunities and Bruce, a dentist, offers his services wherever they house-sit.
  • As the housing market tightens, house-sitting has become an attractive form of rent-free accommodation for some older Australians.
at that age you are able. wait for the 84 etc to pop up.

View attachment 33017

View attachment 33017

Key Takeaways

Wonderful experience, but a contingency Plan mustbe there, One could become ill as they Age

Reactions: Jennie
Wonderful experience, but a contingency Plan mustbe there, One could become ill as they Age
Yes, I have seen where the wife has had to learn to tow a van across the country as hubby has had a stroke. They had nowhere to go other than their daughters back yard and live in the van. It would not be ideal with someone handicapped, no matter how well set up a van is, there is not a lot of room for a wheelie walker. The steps would be challenging also. He had to travel in the van in bed all the way home. (Totally illegal)

Sounds good but they would have been better off renting their house out so that they remained in the housing market. I Think it would be a nightmare to have to afford to buy again when you haven’t got either funds or ability to raise them again when the market has probably r risen out of all proportion

Reactions: Babbie
Sounds good but they would have been better off renting their house out so that they remained in the housing market. I Think it would be a nightmare to have to afford to buy again when you haven’t got either funds or ability to raise them again when the market has probably r risen out of all proportion
Spot on!