Jan A

Dec 16, 2021
Sydney
Fraud by a plumbing employee

Recently I have had plumbing pipes repaired at my house. The plumber in charge has been more than helpful and I am very pleased with his work. He rang me at the end of the job and asked if I had been approached by one of his employees to transfer any funds into an account different to that on the company's invoice. I had not been asked to do that, nor would I have transferred any money into a different account to that listed on a company's invoice. The plumber was relieved to hear it. Apparently this employee had been persuading customers to deposit money into his own account, stealing from both his employer and the customers. What a grub! Fortunately the owner had uncovered this fraud and terminated the employment of the man concerned. Even though recovery of the stolen money is unlikely, the employer made restitution to the customers involved.

Be aware of any attempts by any employees of trades people to get you to deposit or transfer money into a separate account, or to give them cash directly. If any employee approaches you to do this, say that you will need to confirm this action with the employer first. Ensure that the employer knows about any such request. If you give money to an employee outside the process outlined in the contract or invoice, the employer is not legally obliged to refund it to you as it was your own action that caused the loss, even though you were deceived by a fraudster. Stay safe, stay on guard.

Fraud by a plumbing employee

Recently I have had plumbing pipes repaired at my house. The plumber in charge has been more than helpful and I am very pleased with his work. He rang me at the end of the job and asked if I had been approached by one of his employees to transfer any funds into an account different to that on the company's invoice. I had not been asked to do that, nor would I have transferred any money into a different account to that listed on a company's invoice. The plumber was relieved to hear it. Apparently this employee had been persuading customers to deposit money into his own account, stealing from both his employer and the customers. What a grub! Fortunately the owner had uncovered this fraud and terminated the employment of the man concerned. Even though recovery of the stolen money is unlikely, the employer made restitution to the customers involved.

Be aware of any attempts by any employees of trades people to get you to deposit or transfer money into a separate account, or to give them cash directly. If any employee approaches you to do this, say that you will need to confirm this action with the employer first. Ensure that the employer knows about any such request. If you give money to an employee outside the process outlined in the contract or invoice, the employer is not legally obliged to refund it to you as it was your own action that caused the loss, even though you were deceived by a fraudster. Stay safe, stay on guard.
Goodness, that's just evil :( Thank you for sharing this. Didn't even know this was a scheme!