Fran Kelly quits Radio National Breakfast show after 17 years

ABC Radio icon Fran Kelly announced she is signing off from the Radio National Breakfast show in December.

ykMAXpTEw4FCAjQ0vKQ4y3lT7qj_oau9F-pohFKbCYTrNcdtbnaYKg2xFB7qzEPMwppTB93x0tE4b-0tDn95ruwQ2G_MScuXV_TRaCLyFwBgslKWwgAXCKqEZffhvRzPbiyp-h1J=s1600

“After 17 years, it’s time,” said Fran Kelly. Photo by Steven Siewart/ABC News.

“I just want to let you all know my days presenting RN Breakfast are coming to an end,” the veteran broadcaster told listeners on Thursday morning. “Breakfast has been a huge part of my life and I will miss it.”

Ms Kelly has been the host of the breakfast show since 2005. In that span of time, she has interviewed nine Australian prime ministers, a US president, a British prime minister, and a number of other world leaders.

“It's probably the hardest decision I've ever had to make in my life. I absolutely love the job, I've never not loved it, and I give it up reluctantly.”

“But Breakfast is very demanding; it's a hard taskmaster. For 17 years, I got up at around 3:30 AM. It’s tough on the body and soul as it takes pretty much everything. I am choosing to leave now because I never want to give this job any less than a hundred per cent,” she said.

Ms Kelly is expected to remain at the ABC, and is set to be a part of federal election coverage and a co-host of the political podcast The Party Room, with other special projects to be announced next year.

vVyfR7Fg3GZQUZ0-izWBXroIlAT1JMU5c9RKd8IetXn0_o0LpwkAfIOufJVwrs0cYlY6eKHqa_OeG0gpMplbG_j7A3-E9QFowh1Z4TIVjd6kF8kBqxHMNe6vjNGhFcG3Pb0XTwjl=s1600

“I am incredibly proud of the role the show has played in engaging Australians with the broader issues and in holding people to account.” Photo by James Horan via Monocle.

David Anderson, the managing director for ABC, thanked the radio host for her unwavering commitment to ABC listeners.

“Fran is, no doubt, one of Australia’s most respected political journalists, but she’s so much more than that.”

“She’s fearless when it comes to the tough political issues but also incredibly empathetic when talking to people about their lives. Fran is duly respected and admired by so many, and has played a pivotal role in supporting future generations of journalists and presenters, within and beyond the ABC,” he continued.

“Fran’s trusted and authoritative voice represents what so many people love about the ABC and I am looking forward to seeing and hearing more of Fran on the ABC for years to come.”

The broadcasting stations company will announce the new presenter of RN Breakfast later this year.

Fans took to social media to give out their love and appreciation to Fran Kelly.

Sponsored