Former retail worker notices 'decline' in service industry etiquette: 'Just have some respect'

In the bustling aisles of retail stores across Australia, service workers and crew are expected to help customers out.

Yet a new trend among service workers caused quite a stir among shoppers.

A retail worker with years of experience under his belt took to social media to voice his observations.

This, in turn, sparked a nationwide debate about customer service: should retail workers greet customers as they enter the store?

Melbourne local Timmy Reeves noticed what he describes as a 'decline' in customer service standards.

Despite his aversion to the retail industry, Reeves prided himself on providing necessary services.

'I was there to work, and I was there to help people, and I always did it with a smile on my face,' he recalled.

compressed-photo_retail.jpeg
Former retail worker Timmy Reeves pointed out a stark difference in customer service in a video he shared on social media. Image Credits: TikTok/Timmy Reeves, Pexels/Eduardo Soares

'Nowadays, you walk into a store, and there's a 1 in 50 chance someone is going to serve you.'

Reeves also pointed out that some retail workers seem to exude a sense of hostility, making customers like himself feel judged rather than welcomed.

'You are 16 years old, and you are staring at me like we are going to have a punch. Just have some respect, guys,' he stated.

'You're getting paid to do a job. Put a smile on your face.'

His video, which amassed over 70,000 views, divided some audiences.

Some social media users agreed with Reeves.

'The job can be hard at times, but you're paid to do the work,' one commented.

'It's always nice to have a smile and to say hello to customers and make them feel welcomed.'

Others, on the other hand, prefer to shop undisturbed.

'I would rather them not even greet me. If I need help with something, then I'd ask,' another shared.

Reeves pointed out several factors as to why this became prevalent in the workspace.

'I have had many great experiences with younger people and poor interactions with older generations throughout my time,' he shared.

'I think this is caused by lack of training and the feeling that they are not being paid enough for their work.'

He also added that this trend among younger retail workers could be a byproduct of growing up with 'fewer interactions' due to the pandemic.

Reeves also witnessed a range of unprofessional behaviours that contributed to a poor customer experience.

'I have seen many things, from vaping behind the counter, talking about their sex lives in front of customers, and swearing. I have even been laughed at by people working when I've tried clothes on,' he lamented.

He believes that his upbringing, which emphasised politeness, is less prevalent among some of the younger generation.

Watch Reeves' video here:

Source: @tjreeves/TikTok

The retail environment is a social space, and the human touch can often be the difference between a loyal customer and a lost sale.

While some may appreciate a low-key approach, others value acknowledgement and assistance.

A warm welcome and a helpful attitude could turn a mundane errand into a pleasant outing.
Key Takeaways

• Timmy Reeves took to social media to share his views on retail service standards, particularly on how customers should be greeted in stores.
  • Despite his distaste for retail work, Reeves believed that a friendly welcome is an essential part of customer service.
  • Some social media users agreed with Reeves, while others prefer only to be approached if they seek help.
  • Reeves attributes the trend of a lack of greeting and customer service to several factors, including generational differences, the pandemic and lack of outside interactions, and upbringing.
Have you had a similar experience on your recent shopping trips? Do you prefer a helping hand, or do you like to browse in peace? Share your thoughts and opinions with us in the comments section below.

Sponsored