Former Prime Minister Julia Gillard makes a cheeky jab at The Project

We know a thing or two about life – mainly because we've lived it, and then some! That's why Julia Gillard's recent appearance on The Project really resonated with us here at the Seniors Discount Club. At 61 years of age, Julia knows a thing or two.

61aG8Q4PO1uSfpl-NFaAio244XqGyJ5pD1se18PjUmOzyJO7h7CrMclgfcMhUny1fDjbQPs9H5gNbfsnQM2rtwGcbGNEbugSX2AfECAMlrs_wxZP4hBm6zGZqU7ne_bNUvqVTraPKLEEdIq_OQ8iJHO7kU3iFv0RbPdKUnVuOpHh43Zl2LAENRp65g

In an interview with The Project about her infamous misogyny speech, Julia Gillard made a playful jab at Tony Abbott. Credit: Network 10.

For those of you who might not be familiar, Ms Gillard is Australia's first and only female Prime Minister. She served as our nation's leader from 2010 to 2013, and in 2012 she made headlines around the world with a powerful speech condemning misogyny and sexism.

The now-famous speech was made in response to Opposition Leader Tony Abbott criticising her based on her gender, the fact she was unmarried and didn't have children – among other things.

Unfortunately, as many women in leadership positions can attest, this kind of behaviour is nothing new.

But Ms Gillard decided enough was enough when Mr Abbott accused her of sexism during parliament one day. In her now-famous speech, she said: 'I will not be lectured about sexism and misogyny by this man.'

She continued: 'If he wants to know what misogyny looks like in modern Australia, he doesn't need a motion in the House of Representatives; he needs a mirror.'

Touché!

Here's a video where you can watch the whole speech if you're interested:

Credit: Guardian News.

Thousands, if not millions, of people around the world, will always remember the moment Julia Gillard stood up to begin her response on the floor of parliament.

Quotes from the speech have been immortalised on everything from mugs and tea towels, even tattoos and TikTok lip-syncing by a generation that may or may not know the inspiration behind them.

It's safe to say that the alleged 'misogyny speech' is still fresh in the minds of many people 10 years on.

Following her 2012 misogyny speech, Ms Gillard was constantly criticised, whether she was speaking out to promote awareness and take action against online predators and sexual assaults, or if she was simply advocating for gender parity and diversity.

There was a never-ending stream of criticism directed at her physical appearance and the clothes she chose to wear. Even her partner's sexuality and her choice not to start a family were heavily questioned.

aY951ckb_DnKIoeM5Toj_jEEAjQDIhG3fCV6DVIeRQx7Sdv09BiYzGCMLWbHlcga_gax0GBe8KMJNFGP4ZcAf-uUSAPFl7XUN9pJIC5vhFWPgcbCthqu9hvQHFms0ymESf4CP7gzC_pXltzS_jTqfToFQUPztbGefltgGuDZwTqlmiDdtWxdaFFTNw

When asked about the speech by The Project hosts, Ms Gillard revealed a shocking fact, saying that it 'almost never happened'. Credit: Facebook.

In her book Not Now, Not Ever, the 61-year-old pointed out that sexism was undoubtedly an ongoing problem in the country. Ms Gillard even went on to reveal that her iconic speech 'almost never happened'.

She explained: 'Because normally, I kind of held myself above these day-to-day political tactics, and I sort of thought about it, considered not doing it and then decided I would because I was sick of all the… I will use the word nonsense. All the nonsense.'

'Use the real word,' quipped TV host Hamish MacDonald, to which the politician laughingly responded by saying, 'I will get beeped. I don't want to get beeped on TV.'

Lisa Wilkinson then asked Ms Gillard if she had ever been contacted by any of her fellow prime ministers for career advice.

'Julia, since leaving politics, you have gained credit for being the best kind of ex-prime minister – dignity, humility, grace, not engaging in the daily political cycle,' the host noted.

'Have you ever been called upon by Malcolm (Turnbull), Kevin (Rudd), or Tony (Abbott) to find out exactly how you do that?'

'No. I'm not running a training course,' the former prime minister quipped.

M5vKYvatuGfr6UF-RV13cPQUme7rSShmSglseMtbligbI-_c9FtebhkRnR6KN9P6bGqp393vTUyIweCZaKAxPodcL2u5KHvt0AuQkSTk3mUX6DCK44dM4o9hCGj4ejA4LKoQyuzQgVoik2e5QyWWxJB5ChnkGaM5VfdxplJtHtu_AUETDpQuJ8fFmg

Gillard has remained active since leaving politics, holding high-profile positions in the fields of education, mental health, and women's leadership. Credit: AAP/Lukas Coch.

Ms Gillard went on to pursue charity and advocacy work after her retirement.

And we have to say, we're pretty impressed by her post-politics career. It just goes to show that you can accomplish great things at any age – even after you've left your Prime Minister days behind you!

What are your thoughts, members? Have you read Ms Gillard's book, or do you plan to? Do you think politicians can go on to enjoy successful careers after they hang up their public office? Post your thoughts in the comments below!

Reactions: Ricci and terri
Sponsored
We know a thing or two about life – mainly because we've lived it, and then some! That's why Julia Gillard's recent appearance on The Project really resonated with us here at the Seniors Discount Club. At 61 years of age, Julia knows a thing or two.

61aG8Q4PO1uSfpl-NFaAio244XqGyJ5pD1se18PjUmOzyJO7h7CrMclgfcMhUny1fDjbQPs9H5gNbfsnQM2rtwGcbGNEbugSX2AfECAMlrs_wxZP4hBm6zGZqU7ne_bNUvqVTraPKLEEdIq_OQ8iJHO7kU3iFv0RbPdKUnVuOpHh43Zl2LAENRp65g

In an interview with The Project about her infamous misogyny speech, Julia Gillard made a playful jab at Tony Abbott. Credit: Network 10.

For those of you who might not be familiar, Ms Gillard is Australia's first and only female Prime Minister. She served as our nation's leader from 2010 to 2013, and in 2012 she made headlines around the world with a powerful speech condemning misogyny and sexism.

The now-famous speech was made in response to Opposition Leader Tony Abbott criticising her based on her gender, the fact she was unmarried and didn't have children – among other things.

Unfortunately, as many women in leadership positions can attest, this kind of behaviour is nothing new.

But Ms Gillard decided enough was enough when Mr Abbott accused her of sexism during parliament one day. In her now-famous speech, she said: 'I will not be lectured about sexism and misogyny by this man.'

She continued: 'If he wants to know what misogyny looks like in modern Australia, he doesn't need a motion in the House of Representatives; he needs a mirror.'

Touché!

Thousands, if not millions, of people around the world, will always remember the moment Julia Gillard stood up to begin her response on the floor of parliament.

Quotes from the speech have been immortalised on everything from mugs and tea towels, even tattoos and TikTok lip-syncing by a generation that may or may not know the inspiration behind them.

It's safe to say that the alleged 'misogyny speech' is still fresh in the minds of many people 10 years on.

Following her 2012 misogyny speech, Ms Gillard was constantly criticised, whether she was speaking out to promote awareness and take action against online predators and sexual assaults, or if she was simply advocating for gender parity and diversity.

There was a never-ending stream of criticism directed at her physical appearance and the clothes she chose to wear. Even her partner's sexuality and her choice not to start a family were heavily questioned.

aY951ckb_DnKIoeM5Toj_jEEAjQDIhG3fCV6DVIeRQx7Sdv09BiYzGCMLWbHlcga_gax0GBe8KMJNFGP4ZcAf-uUSAPFl7XUN9pJIC5vhFWPgcbCthqu9hvQHFms0ymESf4CP7gzC_pXltzS_jTqfToFQUPztbGefltgGuDZwTqlmiDdtWxdaFFTNw

When asked about the speech by The Project hosts, Ms Gillard revealed a shocking fact, saying that it 'almost never happened'. Credit: Facebook.

In her book Not Now, Not Ever, the 61-year-old pointed out that sexism was undoubtedly an ongoing problem in the country. Ms Gillard even went on to reveal that her iconic speech 'almost never happened'.

She explained: 'Because normally, I kind of held myself above these day-to-day political tactics, and I sort of thought about it, considered not doing it and then decided I would because I was sick of all the… I will use the word nonsense. All the nonsense.'

'Use the real word,' quipped TV host Hamish MacDonald, to which the politician laughingly responded by saying, 'I will get beeped. I don't want to get beeped on TV.'

Lisa Wilkinson then asked Ms Gillard if she had ever been contacted by any of her fellow prime ministers for career advice.

'Julia, since leaving politics, you have gained credit for being the best kind of ex-prime minister – dignity, humility, grace, not engaging in the daily political cycle,' the host noted.

'Have you ever been called upon by Malcolm (Turnbull), Kevin (Rudd), or Tony (Abbott) to find out exactly how you do that?'

M5vKYvatuGfr6UF-RV13cPQUme7rSShmSglseMtbligbI-_c9FtebhkRnR6KN9P6bGqp393vTUyIweCZaKAxPodcL2u5KHvt0AuQkSTk3mUX6DCK44dM4o9hCGj4ejA4LKoQyuzQgVoik2e5QyWWxJB5ChnkGaM5VfdxplJtHtu_AUETDpQuJ8fFmg

Gillard has remained active since leaving politics, holding high-profile positions in the fields of education, mental health, and women's leadership. Credit: AAP/Lukas Coch.

And we have to say, we're pretty impressed by her post-politics career. It just goes to show that you can accomplish great things at any age – even after you've left your Prime Minister days behind you!

What are your thoughts, members? Have you read Ms Gillard's book, or do you plan to? Do you think politicians can go on to enjoy successful careers after they hang up their public office? Post your thoughts in the comments below!

She is someone to admire, not like that low-life Tony Abbot. And no, I am not a Labor supporter, I just recognise a decent person when I see one.

Ten years ago I would have agreed with every word. Now, not so much. I voted for Julia and was thrilled to see a female head of government. I was one of many who joked about how things would be better now a woman was in charge.

But then, I realised that she was just another lawyer running a Labor government that has abandoned its roots. On the subject of childless leaders, I would say this: they have little interest in ensuring that the policies they implement and the laws they enact will lead to a better world for the next generation.

Reactions: Ricci and tonymc55
She is someone to admire, not like that low-life Tony Abbot. And no, I am not a Labor supporter, I just recognise a decent person when I see one.
Do you mean the Tony Abbott who’s just completed a marathon bike ride for charity or the tireless member of his local Rural Fire Service brigade? Tony Abbott also spent up to a month every year for many years living in and touring through remote Aboriginal communities in Queensland, the Northern Territory and Western Australia. He used to do this during the summer parliamentary recess. He may still.

I didn’t vote for him, as a matter of fact, I thought he was an embarrassment to Australia on the world stage. It’s very easy to call someone names, but if I ever do - which is very rarely - I then go on to say why have that opinion.

Touché!

Not interested, don’t care, didn’t read !!!! 🤣🤣🤣

Touché!

I love Julia Gillard. She was Australia's best Prime Minister, not just because she pushed through a record amount of legislation - in other words, she presided over a very effective and productive administration. She also brought in the NDIS. My only disappointment is that she would not entertain a vote on marriage equality because she had no personal interest in it. I was gifted her first book and will be buying this one.