Former Palace private secretary reflects on Queen Elizabeth II’s humanity and pragmatism — “leadership that may never be equalled”

Former equerry and private secretary to The Princess of Wales Patrick Jephson has penned a mini-memoir reflecting on his days as a staff in the Buckingham Palace, illuminating The Queen's humanity and pragmatism. In light of Her Majesty’s rapidly approaching Platinum Jubilee, it seems fitting to share some of the anecdotes shared by Jephson regarding his experiences with Queen Elizabeth II, and an outline of her strength as a leader, and other defining qualities.

Writing for the Daily Mail, Mr Jephson wrote that the first time she saw Her Majesty, he sensed that she was a woman of "extraordinary grace and stamina" whose presence "could do wonders for morale".

He wrote: "My first glimpse of the Queen was through a rainy limousine window in a wintry Scottish town, where our school was gamely trying to line a street with loyal, smiling faces. It was two thrills in one: we got to see the Queen and we skipped double maths."

"Later I overheard the headmaster excitedly reliving the experience for the benefit of the staff-room: ‘...and when she looked at me it was as if she was saying, “How lovely to see you here!”"

He noted that the infamous headmaster — who was notorious for being savage — became a ray of sunshine for several hours after his close encounter with the monarch.

"You should never discount the soft power of royalty," Mr Jephson wrote.

cWy9NJUHJCr2P0Zz3Kdi3Ewni3_PAOwceUzOJqZDK5ARH-ctj_h1tXdINMHjeeaaylypgWL1ZcEPctnt4YIfQy3JvZrYrMfnsa8iggU2hMl06rS3PmFGIaCdxazPQZ-0qxVKWM0

Since the Queen ascended the throne in 1952, she has maintained her grace and pragmatism. Credit: The Daily Mail.

Fast forward to 23 years, he became the equerry to Princess Diana.

Mr Jephson wrote that it was during his appointment in 1988 when the "monarchy had moved on a bit" from the emotional burden that the then young Princess Elizabeth felt when the King died — a few years before the upheaval of the notorious annus horribilis (horrible year) of 1992 where the Royal Family faced numerous scandals.

"The Windsors were now just more celebrity gossip and diary fodder in mass circulation newspapers. It marked a dangerous fall in public respect. Even as I arrived at the palace, I knew from rumours that Charles and Diana’s marriage might not be the real-life fairytale we had all been sold," he wrote.

"It wasn’t long before I had a chance to update my childhood impressions of the Queen — and get a valuable insight into my new boss."

Mr Jephson recalled a moment where the Palace staff and the Waleses were planning for the royal couple's official engagement for the next half-year.

"There could be some tense moments, like when the prince was asked to take on a non-negotiable invitation he would much rather decline. Cue much respectful persuasion from his private secretary, to no avail," he wrote.

The growing tension among the staff members and Prince Charles was broken when Diana asked the King in waiting to "ask your mother to do it?"

Jephson wrote: "There was a collective gasp at this unprecedented break with convention. Then she shocked the assembled bureaucrat courtiers even more. ‘You could phone her,’ continued Diana. ‘Use the phone on your desk.’"

It should be noted that lots of paperwork needs to be done in order for this kind of communication to happen.

However, Princess Diana's bold and revolutionary move had the Prince rising from his seat and lifting the phone to call the Queen.

A few minutes later, the Queen agreed to do the engagement in his place.

"See! It takes a woman to get things done around here!" Diana exclaimed after the issue was resolved.

However, Jephson said that it wasn't just Diana who had it settled.

"No, I thought to myself. Make that two women," he wrote, expressing that the Queen also had to make adjustments to make the engagement work.

aVLHOc3GogBWPoeHy3ChISUlL7wuybqt4bCbx3UgNyZRmUvyXLAfp_o5EbUPbwzRXU_fujz3jF7krXbXrgwcO2U0B6yo7aWRx4_dxMYqTLWuKknV_g_8UdtMAmJuVCl2S3QwuW4

Patrick Jephson was a secretary to the late Princess Diana from 1988 to 1996. Credit: PA.

Another incident that Mr Jephson recalled is when the Queen had an "uninvited guest" show up at the meeting of the heads of government of the Commonwealth in 1991, an incident that could have been a diplomatic fiasco if not for Her Majesty's grace.

African National Congress leader Nelson Mandela unexpectedly arrived at the pre-dinner reception of the meeting.

Jephson wrote: "With the world’s Press watching, any suggestion of surprise or hesitation might have been mistaken for a snub. It could have been a disaster."

However, the Queen acted accordingly and cordially welcomed Mandela as her officials swiftly reorganised the dinner seating plan.

"Pragmatism matched with courtesy and more than a touch of cool. As I learned, these are among the Queen’s defining qualities," he penned.

9B7RJX21sYVxY_4pzsOUSZipP-tHzgaSDZwFZ2zYZThz4XaergEuElApRMBVuYI9lfXsr52syWZgXJycn3S4qOQZuN9LT9JlPSoERxPjMuUqu90roftkJTu68NBdxxAjGZtpvuE

The Queen saved the event that could’ve turned into a diplomatic fiasco by her quick thinking and grace. Credit: AFP/Getty Images.

The Queen has proven her unmatched qualities once again when Mr Jephson accompanied Prince Charles to the Remembrance Day service in Hong Kong, when it was still a British Crown Colony.

Traditionally, the Governor was expected to lay the wreath on the Cenotaph as the Queen's representative.

However, since the heir apparent was present for the event, a conflict over who would lay the wreath arose.

Mr Jephson recalled: "The Hong Kong team expected the Governor, as the Queen’s representative, to lay the first wreath; but we visitors maintained that, since the Queen’s heir was present, he should take precedence."

However, it was the monarch who broke the tension by ruling that the Governor should go first.

"The point to note is that the Queen’s unstuffy approach to problems — and life in general — is the opposite of how monarchs are assumed to think. In some palace offices, there is a temptation to over-complicate simple issues. By contrast, the Queen’s priorities are refreshingly clear: recognise what is required and then get on with it, without the need for coaxing, histrionics or fuss."

Seventy years since the Queen has ascended to the throne, she has set an example of leadership that may never be equalled.

"As we have seen, from the tragically early death of her father to the annus horribilis and beyond, she has — metaphorically and literally — squared her shoulders, set her jaw and uncomplainingly met every test fate has sent her," Jephson wrote.

"Perhaps that steadfastness can be traced to an unworldly strength the Queen has never made a secret. She made it especially plain when aged just 21, she famously committed her life to the service of her people."

More of Jephson's reflections can be read here: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...N-illuminates-Queens-humanity-pragmatism.html

• Love
Reactions: Gaena and Ricci
Sponsored