Former cybercriminal reveals all: Learn the techniques used to steal your online data and how to protect yourself

With the rise of online banking and shopping, internet security is a priority. One slip-up can leave your account and bank details wide open for cybercriminals and thieves.

This is why it's important to know what these criminals are capable of so that you can better protect yourself and your finances online.

Recently, a former cybercriminal revealed the secret techniques used by online thieves and how online users can protect themselves.

The anonymous hacker, dubbed '404' for their internet alias (referenced from ‘error 404: not found’), revealed that they had raked in a whopping half a million dollars in just one year from their dirty deeds online.

404 divulged they’ve always been interested in technology and computers.

‘I studied Computer Science in university, which further fuelled my curiosity and led me down the dark path,' they said.

Screenshot 2023-08-28 114856.png
Former cybercriminal 404 shared the techniques used by cybercriminals. Credit: Sora Shimazaki/Pexels

The ex-cybercriminal had an eight-year stint as a lawbreaker before pivoting to a new career in cybersecurity. They said their experience had provided them 'unique insights into the mindset of cybercriminals'.

'Most people are woefully unaware of how exposed they are online. They often don't realise how much personal information is accessible to those who know where to look,' 404 added.

'Social media platforms are common oversharing locations. People share location, birthdates, family information and more,' they pointed out.

404 advised that everyone should not share insurance numbers, bank details, complete addresses and ‘other highly sensitive personal information’.

Due to this, they urge everyone to adjust their social media privacy settings and be mindful of what they share online.

Here’s a tutorial on how to adjust your privacy settings:

404 confessed that the most frequent scam people were fooled by were phishing emails. Phishing emails are emails sent by scammers pretending to be from a legitimate company, trying to get victims to click on a malicious link or download a malicious program.

They revealed that phishing emails often included misspellings, poor grammar, generic greetings, and urgent or threatening language, appearing as though email recipient mail must take immediate action.

404 added that verifying the sender's email address was crucial in spotting the scam.

The Australian Cyber Security Centre (ACSC) shared a few tips on how to spot a phishing message:

In addition, 404 urged us to be wary of ransomware and identity theft. Ransomware is malicious software installed on computers to deny users access to their files unless they pay a ransom in cryptocurrency.

They also revealed what we can do to protect ourselves against cybercriminals.

‘I would advise using strong and unique passwords and to be cautious with the information shared online. Also, keep your software up to date, such as your operating system, antivirus, browsers and other critical software,’ they said.

'Also, enable your two-factor authentication and avoid suspicious links and downloads,' they added.

Tip
Five Ways to Protect Yourself Online:

1. Use strong, unique passwords
2. Enable two-factor authentication
3. Keep your software updated
4. Avoid suspicious links and downloads
5. Be cautious with sharing personal information online

What if your account has already been hacked? 404 said that accounts may be retrieved through prompt action, but it will always depend on the platform and the situation.

‘Immediately change their passwords, enable additional security measures and get in contact with the platform's support team,' they explained.

When asked why they decided to end their illegal activities, 404 shared: ‘A combination of guilt, fear, and a growing understanding of the harm I was causing led me to stop. The crimes that involve hurting innocent individuals are the ones that trouble me the most. One in particular was a large-scale fraud that left many in financial ruin.’

They added: ‘Many people lost savings, and the ripple effect damaged small businesses and communities. The guilt of causing such widespread harm is something that still haunts me.’

404 also mentioned their cybercrimes' toll on them: ‘Living a double life was stressful. I became more isolated and began to suffer from anxiety and depression. My relationship with family and close friends suffered. They could sense something was wrong, but I could never tell them the truth.'

Ultimately, they urged others against cybercrime: ‘The consequences, both legal and personal, are not worth it. It's a path that leads to a life of fear and regret.'

Key Takeaways
  • An ex-cybercriminal, who goes by the alias '404', has revealed how individuals can protect themselves online, advising them to adjust privacy settings, be mindful of what is shared on social media, and utilise strong, unique passwords.
  • They noted that the most common scam people fall for is phishing emails, warning people to be sceptical of unsolicited communications and verify the sender's legitimacy.
  • The now cybersecurity expert advised maintaining software updates, enabling two-factor authentication, and being careful with suspicious links and downloads.
  • The former hacker expressed regret over his past actions, revealing the guilt of the harm caused to innocent victims, including financial hardships on individuals and communities, still haunts him.

We hope you all take these tips to heart and stay safe online!

Do you have other safety tips to share, members? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
With the rise of online banking and shopping, internet security is a priority. One slip-up can leave your account and bank details wide open for cybercriminals and thieves.

This is why it's important to know what these criminals are capable of so that you can better protect yourself and your finances online.

Recently, a former cybercriminal revealed the secret techniques used by online thieves and how online users can protect themselves.

The anonymous hacker, dubbed '404' for their internet alias (referenced from ‘error 404: not found’), revealed that they had raked in a whopping half a million dollars in just one year from their dirty deeds online.

‘I studied Computer Science in university, which further fuelled my curiosity and led me down the dark path,' they said.

View attachment 28444
Former cybercriminal 404 shared the techniques used by cybercriminals. Credit: Sora Shimazaki/Pexels

The ex-cybercriminal had an eight-year stint as a lawbreaker before pivoting to a new career in cybersecurity. They said their experience had provided them 'unique insights into the mindset of cybercriminals'.

'Most people are woefully unaware of how exposed they are online. They often don't realise how much personal information is accessible to those who know where to look,' 404 added.

'Social media platforms are common oversharing locations. People share location, birthdates, family information and more,' they pointed out.

404 advised that everyone should not share insurance numbers, bank details, complete addresses and ‘other highly sensitive personal information’.

Due to this, they urge everyone to adjust their social media privacy settings and be mindful of what they share online.

404 confessed that the most frequent scam people were fooled by were phishing emails. Phishing emails are emails sent by scammers pretending to be from a legitimate company, trying to get victims to click on a malicious link or download a malicious program.

They revealed that phishing emails often included misspellings, poor grammar, generic greetings, and urgent or threatening language, appearing as though email recipient mail must take immediate action.

404 added that verifying the sender's email address was crucial in spotting the scam.

The Australian Cyber Security Centre (ACSC) shared a few tips on how to spot a phishing message:

In addition, 404 urged us to be wary of ransomware and identity theft. Ransomware is malicious software installed on computers to deny users access to their files unless they pay a ransom in cryptocurrency.

‘I would advise using strong and unique passwords and to be cautious with the information shared online. Also, keep your software up to date, such as your operating system, antivirus, browsers and other critical software,’ they said.

'Also, enable your two-factor authentication and avoid suspicious links and downloads,' they added.

Tip

What if your account has already been hacked? 404 said that accounts may be retrieved through prompt action, but it will always depend on the platform and the situation.

‘Immediately change their passwords, enable additional security measures and get in contact with the platform's support team,' they explained.

When asked why they decided to end their illegal activities, 404 shared: ‘A combination of guilt, fear, and a growing understanding of the harm I was causing led me to stop. The crimes that involve hurting innocent individuals are the ones that trouble me the most. One in particular was a large-scale fraud that left many in financial ruin.’

They added: ‘Many people lost savings, and the ripple effect damaged small businesses and communities. The guilt of causing such widespread harm is something that still haunts me.’

404 also mentioned their cybercrimes' toll on them: ‘Living a double life was stressful. I became more isolated and began to suffer from anxiety and depression. My relationship with family and close friends suffered. They could sense something was wrong, but I could never tell them the truth.'

Ultimately, they urged others against cybercrime: ‘The consequences, both legal and personal, are not worth it. It's a path that leads to a life of fear and regret.'

Key Takeaways

• An ex-cybercriminal, who goes by the alias '404', has revealed how individuals can protect themselves online, advising them to adjust privacy settings, be mindful of what is shared on social media, and utilise strong, unique passwords.
  • They noted that the most common scam people fall for is phishing emails, warning people to be sceptical of unsolicited communications and verify the sender's legitimacy.
  • The now cybersecurity expert advised maintaining software updates, enabling two-factor authentication, and being careful with suspicious links and downloads.
  • The former hacker expressed regret over his past actions, revealing the guilt of the harm caused to innocent victims, including financial hardships on individuals and communities, still haunts him.

Do you have other safety tips to share, members? Let us know in

Totally reject their advice and encouragement to go on line by the banks.. do face to face transactions only at the bank itself and if they insist othetwuse then insist that you require a guarantee that by following their instructions you wont be ripped off in any manner and if that happens then the accountants and bank manager at that bank are personally and severally liable for that outcome as you had followed their advice. This may or may not work and you still have the option of cash transactions as cash is legal tender... plus your own cheque account as that is legal too. my suggestion though is expert Legal advice aught to to be provided here even on this site rather than opinions of the unqualified such as myself which may or may not be accurate legal advice and are opinions only orperhaps experienced based info. 😊

Last edited:

View attachment 28444

Tip

Key Takeaways

Do you have other safety tips to share, members? Let us know in the comments below!

This is an excellent article thanks very much 😁

I look forward to reading all the advice given on here. It is important to be told what things are happening for what we have to be aware of and nothing can be more important than any connected to our finances.

View attachment 28444

Tip

Key Takeaways

I have been saying for years that what the Government and Banks are doing is totally against the principles of protecting their customers but only thinking of greed and their bonuses.
None of this would have occurred under the old ways of Banking. NONE OF IT.
These digital changes only encourages people to use their knowledge to scam other unsecured and unknowledgeable people.
Governments should stop pushing this unfair banking system upon others especially when they are fully aware of what is going on. That is AIDING AND ABETTING A CRIMINIAL CODE OF CONDUCT.

Totally reject their advice and encouragement to go on line by the banks.. do face to face transactions only at the bank itself and if they insist othetwuse then insist that you require a guarantee that by following their instructions you wont be ripped off in any manner and if that happens then the accountants and bank manager at that bank are personally and severally liable for that outcome as you had followed their advice. This may or may not work and you still have the option of cash transactions as cash is legal tender... plus your own cheque account as that is legal too. my suggestion though is expert Legal advice aught to to be provided here even on this site rather than opinions of the unqualified such as myself which may or may not be accurate legal advice and are opinions only orperhaps experienced based info. 😊
The point remains that now the Treasurer Jim Chalmers has already mandated that cheques will not be used anymore either at around the end of this decade, IF NOT PRIOR. So we have the Treasurer and the Banks conspiring againt us. And the Cash is about being withdrwan from circulation too. Some of the retailers, to my desmay, don't even want to take cash anymore either.
Is this Democracy or tending towards the first step towards Socialism and then to Communism.?
Where is our freedom of choice.?

Reactions: Jersey Girl
All I can say is I hope 404s guilt at what he/she did makes the rest of his/her life miserable and very unhappy, just like the lives of the people scammed by him/her. Karma at its best.

The video in this article relating to Facebook changes was well worth the read. Thank you. I'd recommend viewing it on a bigger screen and pausing the video while you make the changes to your Facebook settings. Thanks again. Much appreciated.

What 404 wrote is the biggest load of BS I have read in many years I hope someone had a box of tissues for him/her . Theses people have no conscious or respect for anyone but themselves and there bank balance, they don't give a stuff period. Anyone who thinks they do is living in fairy land.
All they are are scammers scum of the earth, do not have any sympathy for them because when they scam you they have no sympathy for you.
I would like to see them get caught and locked up for the rest of their lives in a prison where there is nothing but the basic needs for them so they know what it is like to ruin people's lives.

Reactions: Gsr and Kelpie
As I wrote in the past I got scammed for $42,000.00 dollars and no one of the scammers have shown any simpathy at all towards me. As a matter of facts, they are still at it and the same person is ringing me more and more even when I gave her an ear full on countless occasions.
It is Just like water on a duck's back.

• Sad
Reactions: Jersey Girl and Gsr