Former crew member lifts the lid on the 'creepiest' secrets about cruise ships — Here are the details of the DISTURBING revelation

We all know that cruise ships are full of activities and amenities to keep guests entertained, but what about the creepier secrets that are hidden below deck?

An Australian who spent a year working on a cruise ship has revealed some of the "craziest secrets" she learned during her employment.

The lesser-known information was provided by Lauren, who is currently residing abroad in the US, in a TikTok video that has amassed more than 870,000 views.

"There's some crazy stuff about cruise ships that you might not know about as a guest," she says in the clip.

Lauren then revealed that there are some "disturbing" finds inside cruise ships that guests could never think of existing inside such a luxurious vessel.

She continues: "It's kind of creepy - so there's a morgue on board, there's a jail on board."

Lauren then goes on to say that she saw a cadaver being wheeled out during one of her shifts.

"When we worked on a cruise ship, we actually saw a dead body getting wheeled out of the morgue, obviously they had a cover over it, but that in itself is so creepy and it made me not want to work on a cruise ship anymore," she narrates.

Although she found the experience "confronting," she acknowledged that terrible things might happen at any time, which is why a morgue is required.

She says: "And then they obviously have a jail cell - so if anyone's doing anything wrong, they'll just lock them in there."

z0AZ_oG9QKInY21CJaBo9ljrGPmEbzms0sDAl4Y-9FdZZTm_LVkALPEUHOXtAIxXVdiMxP6Bqy_ltGUiBQWJYjf2GX_Que_U6QrO1VCc6ggjb7ESOPR5yZ0wseDfDfPir6cKMKFWyPdIwsOP

There are “secret facilities” inside cruise ships that are hidden from passengers. Credit: Getty Images.

Lauren also notes that certain cruise lines don't have a "deck 13" for superstitious reasons.

While the former cruise worker did not give any information on where the mortuary and jail are located, it is assumed that the two "creepy" spaces are located on the lower decks of the ship away from passengers.

The post has captured the attention of TikTok users, prompting hundreds of them to comment on the disturbing revelation.

One person wrote: “It makes sense to have a jail and a morgue? I don't know this doesn't seem weird to me.”

“Someone died on board our last cruise. They tried to keep it hush-hush as much as possible but word spreads fast on board,” another added.

A third said: “If you're scared of superstitious and the number 13 don't come to Canada - we don't have a 13th floor in an apartment building.”

Honestly, we’re not surprised that such “facilities” are present in cruise ships, given that some passengers board these luxurious water vessels for days (or even months) and unfortunate circumstances such as deaths and crimes cannot always be avoided.

How about you? Do you find these “discoveries” creepy? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

Also, for those of you who are curious to learn more about the “disturbing” secrets inside cruise ships, we recommend checking out this video:

Credit: YouTube/The Infographics Show

Sponsored
We all know that cruise ships are full of activities and amenities to keep guests entertained, but what about the creepier secrets that are hidden below deck?

An Australian who spent a year working on a cruise ship has revealed some of the "craziest secrets" she learned during her employment.

The lesser-known information was provided by Lauren, who is currently residing abroad in the US, in a TikTok video that has amassed more than 870,000 views.

"There's some crazy stuff about cruise ships that you might not know about as a guest," she says in the clip.

Lauren then revealed that there are some "disturbing" finds inside cruise ships that guests could never think of existing inside such a luxurious vessel.

She continues: "It's kind of creepy - so there's a morgue on board, there's a jail on board."

Lauren then goes on to say that she saw a cadaver being wheeled out during one of her shifts.

"When we worked on a cruise ship, we actually saw a dead body getting wheeled out of the morgue, obviously they had a cover over it, but that in itself is so creepy and it made me not want to work on a cruise ship anymore," she narrates.

Although she found the experience "confronting," she acknowledged that terrible things might happen at any time, which is why a morgue is required.

She says: "And then they obviously have a jail cell - so if anyone's doing anything wrong, they'll just lock them in there."

z0AZ_oG9QKInY21CJaBo9ljrGPmEbzms0sDAl4Y-9FdZZTm_LVkALPEUHOXtAIxXVdiMxP6Bqy_ltGUiBQWJYjf2GX_Que_U6QrO1VCc6ggjb7ESOPR5yZ0wseDfDfPir6cKMKFWyPdIwsOP

There are “secret facilities” inside cruise ships that are hidden from passengers. Credit: Getty Images.

Lauren also notes that certain cruise lines don't have a "deck 13" for superstitious reasons.

While the former cruise worker did not give any information on where the mortuary and jail are located, it is assumed that the two "creepy" spaces are located on the lower decks of the ship away from passengers.

The post has captured the attention of TikTok users, prompting hundreds of them to comment on the disturbing revelation.

One person wrote: “It makes sense to have a jail and a morgue? I don't know this doesn't seem weird to me.”

“Someone died on board our last cruise. They tried to keep it hush-hush as much as possible but word spreads fast on board,” another added.

A third said: “If you're scared of superstitious and the number 13 don't come to Canada - we don't have a 13th floor in an apartment building.”

Honestly, we’re not surprised that such “facilities” are present in cruise ships, given that some passengers board these luxurious water vessels for days (or even months) and unfortunate circumstances such as deaths and crimes cannot always be avoided.

How about you? Do you find these “discoveries” creepy? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

Also, for those of you who are curious to learn more about the “disturbing” secrets inside cruise ships, we recommend checking out this video:

I would have assumed both facilities would exist on a cruise ship. I’d be concerned if they didn’t. At 76 and having worked for 42 years in medicine, I know death can happen anywhere, anytime.

I love cruising and have gone on on a few in Australia, on one I went on from Sydney to Tasmania I met a couple who had both worked on cruise ships throughout the world and had told us every ship has both a morgue and jail and how on so many ships someone dies usually in their sleep . At the time it did creep me out. My cousin a few years ago went on a three day cruise from Sydney to QLD and someone fell overboard never to be found.

Not all creepy to me. I was employed as an assistant welfare officer on the Ellinis in 1972 which had many migrants on it as well as others who were not. I well remember someone died on board and I actually witnessed a burial at sea. Up until a few decades ago this was commonplace.. These days of course they have the morgue on board and the body is kept until the end of the cruise and then arrangements are made with family etc.

Research has shown that between 2000 and 2019, there were over 600 fatalities on cruise ships, including a few crew members. 87% of the deaths occurred while the ship was at sea. Given that the majority of cruise-goers are 50-80 yrs old many deaths are cardiac related. Among that number, 72 fell overboard and 60 jumped overboard, alcohol being a major contributor. Just as well there is a morgue on all cruise ships!

Not all creepy to me. I was employed as an assistant welfare officer on the Ellinis in 1972 which had many migrants on it as well as others who were not. I well remember someone died on board and I actually witnessed a burial at sea. Up until a few decades ago this was commonplace.. These days of course they have the morgue on board and the body is kept until the end of the cruise and then arrangements are made with family etc.
Oh my goodness! A blast from the past for me seeing the name Ellinis 😁 I took my mum on the S.S Ellinis for her 50th birthday & we had a ball! It was a beautiful classy ship - I remember the fabulous food (and great Greek waiters!) and the gorgeous library (!) as being so much better than any of my more recent cruises. I even won the beauty pageant - aah, those were the days!

I sailed to the UK on the Ellinis from Melbourne in 1972. What a difference between ships in those days and cruise ships now, huh? Was so much fun. Will always remember that trip. ❤️

• Love
Reactions: Elbe and Ricci
Having a choice I would always prefer BOTH to be on board @ all times., even if someone wants to be buried @ sea. It should be standard. We are only sure of 2 things which are life & death. The best place I know that one friend of ours used to practice his trumpet in, .....yes, you've guessed it........The Morgue.

Reactions: TheBear and Ricci
No but I already knew those facilities were on all international cruise ships at least.

Pat

Reactions: Ricci
The weirdest thing is not that there's a morgue or jail onboard but that there are people on those floating germ incubators. Have fun with that. 🦠🦠🦠🦠

Reactions: TheBear and Ricci