Former Australian Idol contestant Courtney Murphy reveals devastating cancer diagnosis

The Australian music community and fans nationwide have been hit with a heart-wrenching update.

Courtney Murphy, a cherished Australian singer and former Australian Idol star, faces a daunting battle with advanced bowel cancer.

Courtney Murphy, a 44-year-old father of three, captured the hearts of Australians with his soulful performances on the second season of Australian Idol, where he secured a commendable third place.

His musical journey didn't end there; for over two decades, Murphy has been a fixture in Perth's music scene, delighting audiences with his powerful voice and charismatic stage presence.

67399399_10156468137795677_3344154441103179776_n.jpg
Former Australian Idol contestant Courtney Murphy was diagnosed with bowel cancer. Image source: Courtney Murphy/Facebook

He even shone in the spotlight of the Queen musical We Will Rock You, showcasing his versatile talent.

However, the stage lights have dimmed for now, as Murphy steps back to focus on the most critical performance of his life—his fight against cancer.

The news was shared with a heavy heart by his siblings, Chris and Kieran, who have rallied support through a GoFundMe campaign to aid Courtney's young family during this challenging time.

They wrote: ‘Our beautiful brother Courtney Murphy is in for the fight of his life.’

‘It is with heavy hearts that we share [that] Court has been diagnosed with advanced stage bowel cancer. It's very serious.’

Screenshot 2024-04-02 074733.png
Murphy’s siblings set up a GoFundMe campaign for his treatment. Image source: GoFundMe

The campaign's heartfelt message emphasises the severity of Murphy's condition and the financial strain it places on the family.

‘As a self-employed musician with a wife and three young children, Courtney will not be able to work for the foreseeable future, which leaves his young family fighting much harder than we want them to be,’ the statement read.

The GoFundMe appeal, set up to alleviate some of this burden, has seen an outpouring of support, raising more than $65,000 within just hours of its launch.

The generosity of donors like Gary Elvin, who contributed $500 and shared a personal anecdote of Murphy's impact on his life.

‘Courtney, you’ve brought so much joy to so many people, including my wife and I when you played at our wedding,’ he wrote. ‘Wishing you and your family all the very best as you undertake this fight.’

Samuel Pettit, who donated $100 with words of encouragement, reflects the profound connection Murphy has forged with his community through his music and kind-hearted nature.

‘Thinking of you all. Go smash this thing, mate,’ he said.

This news comes as a second blow to the Murphy family, who recently mourned the loss of their father to a brain tumour.

You can watch one of Murphy’s performances here:

Source: Idol Archives/YouTube​

Bowel cancer is a prevalent issue in Australia, with it being the third most common type of newly diagnosed cancer.

Despite this, there remains a lack of awareness about the disease, especially among younger adults who may not consider themselves at risk. Murphy's diagnosis at 44 is a poignant reminder that cancer does not discriminate and that early detection can be lifesaving.

As we send our thoughts and support to Courtney Murphy and his family, let's also take this moment to educate ourselves and our loved ones about the risks of bowel cancer.

Regular screenings, being attentive to changes in your body, and maintaining a healthy lifestyle are crucial steps in prevention and early detection.

We encourage you to engage in conversations about health, particularly about cancer awareness. Share your experiences, support each other, and remember that regular check-ups and being informed are powerful tools in the fight against cancer.

Key Takeaways

• Popular Australian singer and former Australian Idol contestant Courtney Murphy has been diagnosed with advanced bowel cancer.
  • Murphy's family has launched a GoFundMe page to support him, as he is unable to work due to his diagnosis and treatment.
  • The GoFundMe campaign has raised over $65,000.
  • The diagnosis comes as a second blow to the Murphy family, who recently lost their father to a brain tumour three months prior.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to Courtney Murphy and his family at this challenging time.

If you wish to contribute to Courtney Murphy's GoFundMe campaign or learn more about his journey, please visit this website.

Sponsored
I remember him on Australian Idol I thought he had a huge chance of winning but he was beaten by two epic people Casey Donovan won Idol that season and Anthony Callea came second.

My prayers are with him for a speedy recovery 🙏 although I'm not liking his odds. Bowel cancer in someone his age moves alot faster than in an older person.

Last edited:
I have lost too many people I love to the big C.
It is an awful disease that can become soul destroying as well.
My 50 year old niece has been battling bowel cancer for 10 years. It has spread to her bladder, uterus, stomach and wherever else it decides to invade.
Modern medicine today has made it possible to fight this illness in ways that could not be imagined 20 years ago. That is what is keeping my darling girl going. Yes, she has had things removed, she has bags instead of bodily functions, but she is still here and will fight the fight as long as her will carries her.
I hope this young man takes this on and fights it in the same way his chosen career has demanded over the years. I wish him all the best that treatment can offer.

I remember him on Australian Idol I thought he had a huge chance of winning but he was beaten by two epic people Casey Donovan won Idol that season and Anthony Callea came second.

My prayers are with him for a speedy recovery 🙏 although I'm not liking his odds. Bowel cancer in someone his age moves alot faster than in an older person.
Not the type of comment one needs to hear at this time. I suggest if you can't say anything positive then don't say anything at all. I suggest you remove your comment.

Who are you ??? I said nothing wrong . It was respectful what I saud
I see no reason for you to remove your comment @Suzanne rose.
My husband died from aggressive advanced bowel cancer. From diagnosis and until his demise was 7 months. I was told later (after he died), his life expectancy was 8 - 13 weeks.
If I had been told “something positive”, as @itztyme suggested, would it have made a difference to me? I think not.

A close friend of mine , her daughter died from bowel cancer 10 years ago the end of this month . She was only a few weeks of turning 30 .
She passed away 16 weeks after being diagnosed. The doctors said is she was older the chances of survival would have been higher and that it moves slower in an older person

Who are you ??? I said nothing wrong . It was respectful what I said. You are the disrespectful one
Your comment "My prayers are with him for a speedy recovery " was lovely but to add the rest of your comment i feel was uncalled for. As a young bowel cancer survivor if i had read your comment when i was diagnosed i would have been more petrified of what lay ahead of me and my chances of survival. thankfully i was surrounded by people who only gave me positive vibes and dialogue.

Your comment "My prayers are with him for a speedy recovery " was lovely but to add the rest of your comment i feel was uncalled for. As a young bowel cancer survivor if i had read your comment when i was diagnosed i would have been more petrified of what lay ahead of me and my chances of survival. thankfully i was surrounded by people who only gave me positive vibes and dialogue.
Firstly I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be reading these comments

Secondly I'm pretty sure the doctors would have already told him this. They didn't hold back from my friends daughter and it did tge opposite, it made her fight abd try anything they told her.

During chemo she spoke to other young people facing the same thing, and they told her, "Let's prove them wrong

It's better to be honest and know what your battling.

Geez you need to remove your blinkers and come out of your cotton wool.
Guess you haven't read many comments on here 🙄

It's good to know the truth AND to have positive vibes.

You were one of the lucky ones

Reactions: DLHM and Littleboy8
It seems you think you know a lot - who reads what, what drs actually tell their patients, how people react to life threating news and your assumptions that i am wrapped in cotton wool with blinkers on and have not read many comments...and to add insult to injury...you call me a lucky one...you have no idea....ohhh....so sad that you think you are wise.. .just bear in mind his family may be reading these comments.

It seems you think you know a lot - who reads what, what drs actually tell their patients, how people react to life threating news and your assumptions that i am wrapped in cotton wool with blinkers on and have not read many comments...and to add insult to injury...you call me a lucky one...you have no idea....ohhh....so sad that you think you are wise.. .just bear in mind his family may be reading these comments.
And I hope his family does read this. It's better to live in reality instead of lala land.

Do you not think people on here haven't gone through crap or haven't experienced cancer . .

My 19 year old niece is going through chemo now . She has tumours on her spine and on her lungs. She knows what her prognosis is and is now doing all she can.

We are all going through crap but we deal with it. Some are lucky they have family support others who don't know they have a family on here that will listen and support

Cancer isn't the only illness and what we do on here is talk and open up. Which hopefully will help others .

I think you are a really egotistic and rude person.
YOU need to think before you critise someone else 🤨

Reactions: Littleboy8 and DLHM
Oh and I do know alot .

Cancer, diabetes, depression, anxiety, Asthma, suicide, drugs, alcoholism and much much more

Reactions: Littleboy8 and DLHM