Former ABC host Stan Grant leaves role in university for a new career

In a surprising career pivot, Stan Grant, the seasoned journalist and former host of ABC's Q+A, has made a significant shift in his professional trajectory.

After a brief six-month tenure at Monash University, Grant has decided to step down from his academic role to embrace the world of print journalism once again, this time as a columnist.

Grant's career has been nothing short of illustrious. With a 40-year tenure in journalism, he has been a witness to and narrator of some of the most pivotal stories in media.

Grant's decision to leave his role at Monash University, where he led the Constructive Institute Asia Pacific within the Faculty of Arts, was not made lightly.

Screenshot 2024-03-12 at 8.14.27 AM.png
Stan Grant left his role at Monash University to be a columnist. Credit: @stangrantanchor / Instagram

He has since joined The Saturday Paper, owned by Schwartz Media, as a columnist. His first column, published on March 9, marked the beginning of what he hopes will be a constructive dialogue with his audience.

The Saturday Paper is a writer’s paper, and its readers want to engage with ideas. That’s where I want my work to land,’ Grant said.

‘I’ve been fortunate to have travelled the world over a 40-year career in journalism, covering the great stories of our time, and I want to bring that experience to understanding a world where far too often we speak across each other, not to each other.’

‘Journalism has been part of the problem, but I still think words matter and my promise to readers is that my columns will look to a shared humanity, to a commitment to justice, and stand with the afflicted in generosity and love.’

Katie Stevenson, the Dean of Monash University's Faculty of Arts, acknowledged Grant's ‘difficult decision to step down from his role’ at the university and that he ‘remains passionately committed’ to the Constructive Institute Asia Pacific's mission.

‘He will now focus on himself, his family and explore ways to support his community in the country,’ Stevenson said in a statement.

‘Stan Grant remains deeply supportive of the Constructive Institute Asia Pacific.’

‘The Institute remains dedicated to building on the University’s commitment to fostering greater integrity in journalism while countering misinformation in the media.’

The Saturday Paper, which is celebrating its 10th anniversary, has welcomed Grant with open arms. Editor-in-Chief Erik Jensen praised Grant's writing prowess and intellectual depth, noting that his addition to the paper will enrich its ‘intellectual life’.

‘There are few people who write with Stan’s grace and erudition,’ Jensen said.

‘He is one of the country’s sharpest journalists, and he brings to his work a great store of intellect and feeling.’

‘He believes in the capacity of ideas to change society–and that is what his column will seek to do.’

Grant's move to The Saturday Paper follows his departure from the ABC's Q+A in May 2023.

His exit from the show was prompted by the racist abuse he endured, particularly after comments made during the ABC's coverage of King Charles III's coronation.

Despite the challenges, Grant's resolve remains unshaken, as evidenced by his parting words on his final episode: 'I am down right now, but I will get back up.'
Key Takeaways
  • Stan Grant has left his role at Monash University to become a columnist for The Saturday Paper after resigning from his position at the ABC.
  • He signed up to lead Monash University’s Constructive Institute Asia Pacific in the Faculty of Arts but only served for six months.
  • His first column for The Saturday Paper was published on March 9, indicating he intends to use his extensive journalism experience to engage with ideas and contribute to intellectual discussions.
  • Monash University and The Saturday Paper have expressed their support and high regard for Grant, with the University maintaining a commitment to media integrity and the paper celebrating his writing skills and intellectual contributions.
What do you think about his move to becoming a columnist? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
Obviously he couldn't hack it in the real world and has wimped out once again. If it was you or me doing the same by changing jobs every 6 months nobody would care. So why do we care about a person that is so up himself? Reading the accolades by his former employers, it sounds so rehearsed and non genuine. Is this the cynical me coming out?

Obviously he couldn't hack it in the real world and has wimped out once again. If it was you or me doing the same by changing jobs every 6 months nobody would care. So why do we care about a person that is so up himself? Reading the accolades by his former employers, it sounds so rehearsed and non genuine. Is this the cynical me coming out?
I don't think you're cynical ... perhaps the former employers are pleased to see him leave. ;)

what a charmer you are' I take it it's ok to constantly put the boot into someone regardless of colour and they have to ignore it. I've watched Stan for many years and I wish him the best in his future.

YES