Forgot your shopping bags? Shop stress-free with this handy tip!

We have all been in this situation—you arrive at the supermarket, ready to shop, only to realise you left your reusable bags at home.

It's a frustrating moment that can lead to either juggling loose items in your car or reluctantly purchasing another reusable bag to add to your ever-growing collection at home.

What if there was a clever workaround to this common predicament?

Enter the 'simple yet effective' supermarket tip hailed as 'brilliant' by shoppers everywhere.

It's a solution that saves you from bag-buying guilt and uses one common grocery item: garbage bags.

Comedian and social media influencer Vinnie Brand shared his lightbulb moment in a video that quickly went viral.

His approach? Purchase a box of garbage bags at the beginning of your shopping trip and then ask the checkout assistant to use them to pack your groceries.

compressed-vinnie brand 2.jpeg
‘(Plastic) bag secured,’ Vinnie wrote in his viral shopping video on social media. Image Credit: Instagram/Vinnie Brand

It's both practical and economical, as garbage bags are sturdy and spacious, and are a staple in any home.

The video shows Vinnie at the checkout, impressing a fellow shopper and the cashier with his method.

As he fills the garbage bags with his groceries, separating cold items from warm ones, onlookers start to admire the simplicity and effectiveness of the tip.

Taken aback by the ingenuity, a young shopper thanks Vinnie for being a ‘g*****n lifesaver'.

While the video turned out to be a skit—sharp-eyed viewers noted the presence of a microphone on the impressed shopper—the idea behind it has resonated with many.

People have taken to social media to express their eagerness to try out the tip.

'Finally, a good life tip,' one comment stated.

‘Genius,' another said.

The benefits don't stop at just saving you from a bagless blunder.

Once the groceries are unpacked, these reusable bags can serve their intended purpose.

Of course, there are some considerations to keep in mind.

A user pointed out that not all garbage bags are suitable for direct contact with food due to chemical treatment.

The bags must be safe for carrying groceries, especially when placing fresh produce directly inside.

Despite the potential concerns, the tip has sparked a conversation about ways we can adapt when we forget our reusable bags.

Some shoppers have shared their own 'free' tips, like using the complimentary fruit and vegetable bags in the produce section.

Source: @vinnie_brand/Instagram

At the end of the day, while bringing our reusable bags is the most sustainable option, it's comforting to know that there are creative solutions for these specific moments.

Next time you find yourself at the supermarket without a bag, remember Vinnie's tip—it might just save your day.
Key Takeaways

• A shopper shared a clever tip online by using a box of garbage bags in case they forget their shopping bag.
  • The video showcasing the tip turned out to be a skit, but still inspired many viewers to consider trying it during their shopping trips.
  • Some social media users praised the tip for its ingenuity, as the garbage bags are reused for their intended purpose.
  • Despite the praise, one cautioned against using garbage bags for food due to chemical treatment, reminding others to be mindful of potential safety issues.
Have you ever tried this tip, or do you have any other tricks up your sleeve for when you forget your bags? Share your experiences and tips in the comments below!

Last edited:
Sponsored
You should never forget your shopping bags. When we unpack our shopping we put the empty bags at the back door. Whoever goes out first they pick up the bags & put them in the car. Never forget them doing that. Easy as. We see so many people buy so many bags. Waste of money. They used to be free, now shops are making money out of people buying bags.

You are still buying plastic garbage bags , that is what we are trying to reduce , why not make your own fabric bags from leftovers or clothing you do not wear anymore. It is not difficult and only takes you an hour or so .
I made a toilet bag last week from scraps, all covered inside as well with a zipper and did not take long at all .

Confusing l thought. We cannot use plastic cups, carry bags for shopping etc but we can still purchase plastic bin liners.

Whatever happened to doing away with plastic or was that just plastic for drinking & eating applications?

Yes we now have to buy rubbish bags god the bins. So single use, as the grocery bags definitely had two uses. On the d ad inject of plastic, have just got home from the hospital and found the use of plastic very disconcerting. Water bottles, juice cups, etc etc. I would hate to see their waste pile at the end of the day.

I never take bags out of the car boot and keep on refusing to buy some at the check out. I sort and fill them from the trolley.
If shopping without the car I always have a folded bag with me.
I cannot see the point of having untrained checkout people shoving things willy nilly in my bags

You should never forget your shopping bags. When we unpack our shopping we put the empty bags at the back door. Whoever goes out first they pick up the bags & put them in the car. Never forget them doing that. Easy as. We see so many people buy so many bags. Waste of money. They used to be free, now shops are making money out of people buying bags.
yes mine also reside in the car and dont take them out of the boot. I empty trolley at the car. At home they also go back into the car when emptied.