Food Standards Australia recalls famous curry brand after chemical contamination

We occasionally gravitate towards easy-to-prepare products for convenience when shopping for pantry staples.

A recent notice left many spice lovers concerned: a popular curry brand was pulled from shelves due to a possible health risk.

Food Standards Australia (FSA) issued a warning about Indya Foods’ Everest Fish Curry Masala 50g due to the presence of ethylene oxide. This chemical can cause significant illness or injury if ingested.

Recalled batches of the fish curry masala bore a best-before date of September 2025 (09/25).

compressed-fish curry.jpeg
Food Standards Australia pulled out Indya Foods' Everest Fish Curry Masala from multiple independent retailers for poisoning risk. Image Credit: Food Standards Australia

The affected product has been sold at independent retailers in Queensland, Victoria, South Australia, and the Northern Territory.

The Everest Fish Curry Masala, a pantry staple popular for its rich flavour, has been a go-to choice for those looking to whip up a quick and delicious fish curry.

However, the contamination raised alarms about food safety and the potential risks lurking in our pantry staples.

Ethylene oxide is a chemical commonly used for sterilising medical devices and spices.

Due to its toxic nature, it is not approved for food use in Australia.

‘Food products containing ethylene oxide may cause illness or injury if consumed,’ Food Standards Australia stated, strongly advising consumers against eating the recalled product.

Symptoms of exposure to ethylene oxide can include nausea and vomiting.

Severe cases with long-term exposure may cause neurological disorders and cancer.

Consumers who purchased the Everest Fish Curry Masala with the specified best-before date are entitled to a full refund after returning it to the place of purchase.

Moreover, the FSA recommended that shoppers who have already eaten the product and are worried about their health seek immediate medical advice.

Readers may read the full recall notice here.

This recall reminds us of the importance of food safety and the need for vigilance regarding food products.

It also highlights the rigorous food safety protocols designed to protect consumers, with recalls as a crucial mechanism to remove potentially harmful products from supermarket shelves.
Key Takeaways

• Food Standards Australia recalled a batch of Indya Foods’ Everest Fish Curry Masala 50g due to chemical contamination.
  • The contamination involved ethylene oxide, which poses a significant consumer risk.
  • The recall targeted packets with a best-before date of September 2025.
  • Consumers were advised not to eat the product and that they could return it to the place of purchase for a full refund.
How do you ensure the safety of the food you consume? Join the conversation and share your thoughts with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
Something I only found out yesterday was breadcrumbs by Krummie actually has milk and fish in it , not good for those with food allergies.

I now only use the homebrand breadcrumbs as your not getting the extras

Reactions: Abby2
Something I only found out yesterday was breadcrumbs by Krummie actually has milk and fish in it , not good for those with food allergies.

I now only use the homebrand breadcrumbs as your not getting the extras
Yeah yuk🙀I crush up cornflakes and use them been doing it for years.😊

I was struggling with a complex research paper and decided to try GreatPaper. Their british essay writers handled my project with exceptional skill and precision. The paper was well-structured, thoroughly researched, and exceeded my expectations. I highly recommend their services for in-depth academic writing.
Same here. Trying to write about the effects of iodine-131 on the breeding cycle of the frill necked lizard during monsoonal weather events that coincide with a total solar eclipse proved difficult as well!

• Haha
Reactions: Littleboy8 and DLHM