Flybuys drops massive updates about their services. Will your shopping experience be affected?

The world of retail rewards programmes is ever-evolving.

For savvy shoppers, these schemes offer extra value for everyday purchases.

However, a rewards programme's recent announcement sent a ripple of concern through the community.

Flybuys New Zealand will be shutting its doors by the end of the year.

Flybuys members should be able to earn points until 31 October and spend their points by 31 December.

Shoppers shared their disappointment about the news on social media.

compressed-flybuys.jpeg
Flybuys New Zealand members should redeem their points by 31 December, just in time for the Christmas festivities. Image Credit: Shutterstock/Ryan Hoi

'I was so close to my new vacuum cleaner,' one shopper lamented.

'It has "purchased" family gifts, kitchen appliances, and helped me treat my friends with something they want but would hate to spend the money on,' another shopper said, highlighting the programme's impact.

This news also concerned Aussie Flybuys members.

'PSA: Flybuys Australia is not closing,' Flybuys Australia quickly reassured its members.

Loyal shoppers sighed in relief, as they should be able to collect points and spend points.

'Phew! We're safe here in Australia. Flybuys is here to stay,' one customer exclaimed.

Flybuys Australia promised to continue serving members through their partner organisations, where they could redeem a variety of rewards.

These rewards include petrol discounts and supermarket savings.

The rewards system has become deeply integrated into the shopping routines of many Aussies nationwide.

Flybuys New Zealand's closure highlighted the dynamic nature of loyalty programmes.

'The landscape for loyalty programmes has changed and continues to change rapidly,' Loyalty NZ Chief Lizzy Ryley pointed out.

Modern-day businesses now have greater access to technology, letting them create loyalty schemes tailor-fitted to their customers' needs.

For savvy shoppers, this news reminds everyone to keep an eye on the loyalty programmes and make the most of their points.

As we navigate the ever-changing world of retail, it's crucial to stay informed.

Whether you're a points hoarder or a casual shopper who does not mind a couple of points, it's essential to understand the terms and conditions of your loyalty programmes.
Key Takeaways

• Flybuys New Zealand announced the closure of its loyalty programme on 31 December 2024.
  • Flybuys Australia reassured its customers that the Australian rewards programme will remain operational.
  • The closure announcement led New Zealand Flybuys members to consider alternative loyalty programmes.
  • Lizzy Ryley, the CEO of Loyalty NZ, highlighted the rapidly changing landscape for loyalty programmes and shared that businesses can now create more bespoke loyalty schemes.
Are you a Flybuys member? How do you maximise the benefits of your loyalty programme? Share your stories and tips in the comments below.

Sponsored
I save them up and turn them into 'cash' to use at Christmas. Similar to a Christmas Club. Have been using them to get $10 off at checkout but they don't seem to be asking that at the moment.

Reactions: Colette 3799
I save them up and turn them into 'cash' to use at Christmas. Similar to a Christmas Club. Have been using them to get $10 off at checkout but they don't seem to be asking that at the moment.
I noticed they had stopped asking that too. I must do a check on how many points I have

We convert our points into Coles gift cards. We use the cards fro Christmas shopping and usually have enough to last through to March. . By using them this way we earn more points s ready for the next year.

Reactions: wendell
Points cards are just a way to get you to spend more money to get more points to make you think you are getting something for nothing, when is actual fact you have gained NOTHING. All these gimicks are added into the price of your purchases and everyone elses. It's just another way big business scam money out of us.
NOTHING IS FREE PEOPLE.

Points cards are just a way to get you to spend more money to get more points to make you think you are getting something for nothing, when is actual fact you have gained NOTHING. All these gimicks are added into the price of your purchases and everyone elses. It's just another way big business scam money out of us.
NOTHING IS FREE PEOPLE.
I never spend more money just to get the flybuys, but I can’t believe you would pass up being given the points if they’re available. I stand behind men in the queue who are spending over $300 and don’t have a card. I spend my meagre $80 to $100 and get all I can, and saved me a fortune over the years

Like I said, the cost is added to everybody's purchases. You are not getting anything for nothing. There is no such thing as FREE. The only people who gain is the business that offers the SCAM.

Reactions: ElizabethL
They are saying that the Flybuys program won’t shut down in Australia, but they most probably said the same thing to
New Zealanders not too long ago.

Reactions: Littleboy8
NOTHING IS FREE PEOPLE.
David you are sooo wrong I had
$560 worth of flybuys last year to spend when I moved house and I spent them well believe me!! How did I get them well flyby sent me an offer several times to spend $50 every week for 4 consecutive weeks and I would earn 10000 flybys which equals $50. You see where I’m going David I spent $200 and got $50 back!! I only ever spend $50 on my groceries so I was happy to spend $50 a week for 4weeks and get $50 back free no questions asked swiped my card and bingo… in fact better than bingo🤣🤣

The Australian Flybuys program is a separate entity and is not affected by the closure of New Zealand Flybuys. Loyalty NZ, the company which runs Flybuys, is also shutting down.

The Australian Flybuys program is a separate entity and is not affected by the closure of New Zealand Flybuys.

Reactions: Littleboy8
I never spend more money just to get the flybuys, but I can’t believe you would pass up being given the points if they’re available. I stand behind men in the queue who are spending over $300 and don’t have a card. I spend my meagre $80 to $100 and get all I can, and saved me a fortune over the years
I never spend more than I need. My points accumulate quickly. There are always negative people who whinge, moan and groan about everything. Let them wallow in their misery. Enjoy your points. I certainly love mine.

Reactions: loraines
I totally agree with you i only spend what i need to get the points between $50.00 to $80.00.. i do not over spend and I do the online surveys to get the extra points so i can add it all up till i get to the end of the year and get Christmas gift cards for the family and my self and then start it all over again the following year ... that way i can enjoy it as i save..?

Reactions: loraines and Babbie