Flight attendant debunks common luggage myth

When it comes to preparing for a trip, choosing the right luggage can be as crucial as packing the essentials.

Many travellers believe that a hard-shell suitcase offers the best protection for their belongings, but according to an industry insider, this popular choice might not be as robust as you think.

Emilie, a seasoned flight attendant with 16 years of experience, shared some eye-opening advice with House of Fraser that could change the way you view luggage.

Contrary to common belief, she suggested that soft luggage is the way to go, especially if you're checking your bags.

compressed-travel-suitcase-preparations-packing.jpeg
A flight attendant recommended using soft luggage over hard luggage. Image source: Freepik

'Passengers tend to think that hard-shell suitcases are more resistant than fabric ones, but it's actually the opposite,' Emilie explained.

‘Hardcovers can get easily broken by the pressure of the other bags once they're all packed together in the hold.’

‘To avoid damage to your bag, I always recommend choosing a fabric suitcase as these are actually more durable,’ she added.

But the advice doesn't stop there.

When it comes to the great debate between two wheels or four, Emilie has a clear preference.

She advised travellers to choose a two-wheeled suitcase over its four-wheeled counterpart.

'Suitcases with four wheels are never as durable or reliable as a two-wheel spinner, and I'd always avoid them,' she asserted.

For those who prefer to keep their luggage close, carry-on bags are the go-to.

However, Emilie has a stern warning about overpacking.

She urged travellers to adhere to weight limits for carry-on luggage, not just for compliance but for practicality.

'If you can't lift it and place it in the overhead compartment yourselves, it's too heavy for us attendants, too, and we don't want to injure our backs to lift your luggage,' she cautioned.

Interestingly, a viral video from last year showcased pilots being asked about their preferred luggage brand.

The consensus among these aviation professionals was a brand known as LuggageWorks.

However, a user who tested the brand found that while it was indeed sturdy and reliable, it was also significantly heavier than most consumer options, potentially making it less suitable for the average traveller.

You can watch the video here:

Source: @theshoppingexpert/TikTok​

As we navigate the complexities of travel, it's essential to make informed choices about our luggage.

The insights from Emilie remind us that durability doesn't always come from the hardest shell but rather from the ability to withstand the journey's bumps and bruises.

So, before you invest in your next piece of luggage, consider the advice from someone who sees the aftermath of travel on a daily basis.

And remember, the goal is to arrive at your destination with your belongings intact, not to test the limits of your suitcase's endurance.
Key Takeaways

• A flight attendant advised against the common belief that hard-shell suitcases are more durable than soft luggage.
  • She recommended choosing fabric suitcases for checked luggage as they tend to withstand pressure better in the hold.
  • For suitcases with wheels, the flight attendant suggested opting for two wheels over four, as they are deemed more durable and reliable.
  • The attendant also reminded passengers to adhere to carry-on weight limits to avoid potential injury to themselves or the crew when stowing luggage overhead.
We'd love to hear from our Seniors Discount Club members about your luggage experiences. Have you found soft luggage to be more durable? Do you prefer two wheels over four? Share your travel wisdom in the comments below!

Last edited:
Reactions: Ezzy
Sponsored
I have always got suitcases from an op shop. This trip I thought no, I’ll treat myself to a decent one. I was advised on the durability, stability, fabric strength.NOT!
My case arrived at Melbourne with a big gash or L shaped, several other little gashes along the side, and vinyl damage along the edges. It was so bad, a brand new unread book had no spine left, and other two were crumpled. How on earth did that happen.? To actually slash and damage is beyond comprehension in the handling department. If a man can’t lift 19kgs properly, he shouldn’t have a job. I lifted it ok.

• Wow
Reactions: PattiB
I have always got suitcases from an op shop. This trip I thought no, I’ll treat myself to a decent one. I was advised on the durability, stability, fabric strength.NOT!
My case arrived at Melbourne with a big gash or L shaped, several other little gashes along the side, and vinyl damage along the edges. It was so bad, a brand new unread book had no spine left, and other two were crumpled. How on earth did that happen.? To actually slash and damage is beyond comprehension in the handling department. If a man can’t lift 19kgs properly, he shouldn’t have a job. I lifted it ok.
Sounds like your bag got bumped off the transport belt into the gears or on top of one of the metal dividers between belts that join.

Can happen when someone's overloaded luggage dropped down a shoot from above strikes a much lighter piece of luggage.

The last time I flew was from Melbourne to Perth on Virgin Blue (17 April), I had difficulty in putting a small backpack in the overhead lockers. The lockers were chock-a-block with prams, huge suitcases and massive backpacks. I have never seen anything like it in many flights I have undertaken over the last 45 years.

Is this permissible? Do these passengers pay an exorbitant fee for the luxury of having such huge items as carry on luggage?

I sincerely hope so!

On my last two flights I have had two bags wrecked. The first from Adelaide the bag had wheels missing and 3 big gashes in it (it was a hard suitcase). I put in a claim with Qantas & received a whole $34 compensation. The second was on an international flight from Auckland & my suitcase had a wheel ripped completely off. I watched the baggage handlers unload our plane & they just throw all the cases. We even saw one case get thrown onto the tarmac.

• Sad
Reactions: Veggiepatch
Sounds like your bag got bumped off the transport belt into the gears or on top of one of the metal dividers between belts that join.

Can happen when someone's overloaded luggage dropped down a shoot from above strikes a much lighter piece of luggage.
Thank you for that idea. Still leaves me gob smacked.