Five-month-old almost chokes to death in Kmart

One mum has recalled the terrifying incident of how her five-month-old baby boy almost choked to death after swallowing a seemingly “harmless” object in Kmart.

bqawZVPzWO4O5l4xKQgBYwUy1KeWvwWSH9cUVcykOlqA4mUOSrFHgRLiRSmw9zc2A6Ocr9j92cqN_PefquZX1_pSviyJg98fFNcmdYb2nAtkb8_HQDrlIQoVRIdNREWH2d9oJB6y

Credit: AAP.

Reaching out to the Australian child safety group, Tiny Hearts Education, the mum shared her son’s near-death experience during a Kmart shopping run.

She was with her husband and five-month-old son Alfie during their usual shopping day at Kmart. Innocently, she placed a pair of socks on Alfie’s baby capsule near his blanket.

But unbeknownst to the mum, her son grabbed the socks and began sucking the clip used to hang the item.

“He sucked the clip so hard he swallowed and began gagging,” she remembered.

According to her, it was only a “second” that she took her eyes off of him. But within that quick moment, Alfie already swallowed the clip which blocked his throat.

The mum saw her little boy struggling to get the clip out to the point that he was vomiting bile.

jnjKde8KU-0S5Iwhc0_0L1crAMoszoKbXbavvoCYfylG0FVWLda-0H2Je99jIISy2lAvRDI0s3y7uysAuQxCq8dfGkmMKVbO0qEpqeJMO_hR-eGL4Y2k8Vi9w0Nn4d8-xnl7zUru

This was the clip the little boy swallowed. Credit: Facebook.

“Thankfully we didn’t have to perform CPR,” she said.

“He was rushed to hospital and required emergency surgery. They told me it was lodged 3cm in his throat.”

Thankfully, Alfie made a full recovery and is doing okay now.

“I feel horrible I took my eyes off him for a moment,” the mum said, revealing that the awful experience was one she would never forget.

This is an awful story, but also a good reminder to make sure there is nothing around the grandkids that could potentially be a choking hazard. Always check their surroundings.

Sponsored
Well next time she will place them in the trolley and not her bubs baby capsule...and what was the father doing while the mother took her eyes off him for a really long 'second'?

Reactions: Liz
Dads don,t always go shopping with the family, mine sure didn't and yes it wasn't the shops fault

Dads don,t always go shopping with the family, mine sure didn't and yes it wasn't the shops fault
Umm....did you read it properly? "She was with her husband and five-month-old son Alfie during their usual shopping day at Kmart."