chrisricho

Aug 23, 2023
Fitness exercises for the Over 70s

I am a 78 male, have had both shoulders and both knees replaced and for the past 18 months have been trying to rid myself of
Bilateral vestibular hyperfunction (or is it hypofunction?).

I have been unable to do anything much in the way of exercise.

I am also a bit overweight although I am generally healthy thanks to my wife who prepares a healthy diet.

I would like to have access to someone who can set out easy stretches and exercises for people of my age?
I would also like to build up my muscular strength a bit -- I don’t want to become a gym junkie.

Being a pensioner I can’t afford expensive gym memberships.
It would be great to be able to see an exercise/stretching programme in the Seniors Discount Club's daily emails.

I am sure there would be many others in the same boat as me... not wanting high impact exercises, heavy weights or heart-straining aerobics.

What do you reckon guys?

Regards
Chrisricho

Chris Richards

I am a 78 male, have had both shoulders and both knees replaced and for the past 18 months have been trying to rid myself of

I am also a bit overweight although I am generally healthy thanks to my wife who prepares a healthy diet.

I would like to have access to someone who can set out easy stretches and exercises for people of my age?
I would also like to build up my muscular strength a bit -- I don’t want to become a gym junkie.

It would be great to be able to see an exercise/stretching programme in the Seniors Discount Club's daily emails.

I am sure there would be many others in the same boat as me... not wanting high impact exercises, heavy weights or heart-straining aerobics.

What do you reckon guys?

Regards
Chrisricho

Chris Richards
Maybe you should get advice from your local doctor

What do you reckon guys?

Regards
Chrisricho

Chris Richards
Lots of us in the same boat. Start with your Dr who can advise best way to go. If you have an aged care package you can access physio through that and they come to your home. (Depending on what level package you have). You can access online some simple low impact exercises, trick here is start with small amount and gradually increase exercise repititions..but be consistant. Walking is best of all for muscles and your heart and mind, does not have to be long distance or fast walking. If you have a dog, walk with your dog a little each day. Your arm strength you can use weights like a can of food 400gm and when able, increase to an 800gm can of food. I follow exercises given to me by physio and they have really helped with strength and balance and they have lessened my falls also. Good luck.

I go to a local gym class for seniors and they are promoted by the council and you pay only very little .I pay $ 5.- per class and it goes for 1 hour . There are people with limitations , also some overweight and the instructor can change the exercises to your ability . They do also Yoga classes . Some of the group do walking together once a week . In some areas they do offer free classes , some may be in a park as well . they are not always in the big city’s, I live semi-rural and only need to go 4 km to my class and you may make some new friends as well. Our group is very friendly , the instructor is very good and helpful . Some of the group go for a coffee after the class , so it is a little social as well. Most of the classes are being done in a community hall or church .
I also do on other days at home some exercise, as I have a room set up for it with gym mats on the floor. If you have You tube , there are many programs to chose from , also you could do chair exercise and using bands or light weights .

What do you reckon guys?

Regards
Chrisricho

Chris Richards
Hi Chris I use YouTube to help me with gentle exercises type in your injuries and exercise I am sure you will find something that can help

Reactions: Mina vriesekolk

What do you reckon guys?

Regards
Chrisricho

Chris Richards

What do you reckon guys?

Regards
Chrisricho

Chris Richards
Hey Chris, I am 77 and I do a light exercise programme at U3A. It is called Weights for Mates. Light weights, stretching exercises. If a particular exercise is beyond you just sit it out, no worries. Cost is $35 a year to join the U3A and $2 per week for the exercises. So contact your nearest U3A and make some enquiries. We have a coffee after and talk man talk a great way to relax.

i am 61 with lots of issues. had both knees replaced, bad back to name a couple.
i suggest see your dr to get a care plan.
that will give you 5 visits to an allied health proffessional.
use them to see a physio.
the the physio can give you exercises that help you "MOVE"

the secret is range of motion.
not strength of muscle.

i use basic equipment available at kmart or aldi type shops.
stretch bands, basic hand held weights, and strap on weights for the legs.

contact me if you want more advise. but this is what i suggest, and what organisations live dva recommend for people our age. they pay for retired servicemen to do this type of exercise, they believe so strongly in it helping them.

What do you reckon guys?

Regards
Chrisricho

Chris Richards
I am 75 riddled with arthritis, but, I cantellyou what's good exercises using your own body weight . First if you can stand for a little while feet slightly apart in a door way to support yourself slowly rock forward onto balls of feet and down x5
In same position slightly squat x5
Turn around and put both hands on door jam facing jam lean in and push back x5 this a standing push up I have suggested x5 to start it's entirely up to you if you want to increase or not do for 5 days and rest. That's legs arms and chest, grad a tennis ball squeeze x5 left then right . I think after 4 weeks you will notice the difference, for the tummy ask your wife about lower abdomen or pelvic muscle movements. 😜 good luck

What do you reckon guys?

Regards
Chrisricho

Chris Richards
If you have access to the internet Chris you can Google for exercises for whatever the part of the body you want. That is if you don't want to personally go to a physiotherapist.

What do you reckon guys?

Regards
Chrisricho

Chris Richards

What do you reckon guys?

Regards
Chrisricho

Chris Richards
Check out the Health Dept re their Steeping On program. It’s for older people and works on strength and balance. I’m 84 with a total lumbar fusion. and found this course exceptionally helpful - and it’s paid for out of your taxes!

Suggest you subscribe to

EnableMe.org.au
is a website dedicated to stroke recovery and support.
They have personalised video descriptions of people who use their physio plus great survival information
Regards Louise SRN

What do you reckon guys?

Regards
Chrisricho

Chris Richards

Perhaps Nordic pole walking would help.You get a full body workout with much less pressure on your joints.Go at what ever pace suits,poles are an extra pair of legs.Fantastic rehab.

Yep🙃 Had a Coconut Thai massage last night- AWESOME
Neck stretches & back for 2 hour journey in car 😏🙈
Sooo nice to find time to reintroduce myself to all you fabulous folks 🍀🐸😏🩵
Sue / aca Shoggle