Find Out Who Really Should Cut the Grass: The Surprising Debate Dividing Neighbors Everywhere!

When it comes to maintaining a tidy lawn, Australians pride themselves on their lush greenery and well-kept gardens. But a seemingly simple act of lawn maintenance has recently sparked a fiery debate across the nation: should you cut your neighbour's grass, especially when it comes to the nature strip?

The controversy was ignited by a photo shared on Reddit, showing a nature strip neatly mowed on one side, while the other side remained overgrown and unkempt, stopping abruptly at the property line. The image, which lacked context, was branded 'UnAustralian!' by the original poster, leading to a whirlwind of opinions on the matter.

The debate reached a boiling point on the Sunrise program, where Entrepreneurial & Small Business Women Australia CEO Amanda Rose and veteran journalist Neil Mitchell clashed over the issue. Rose questioned the very expectation placed on homeowners to maintain council-owned land, highlighting the absurdity of being fined for neglecting a piece of land that isn't even theirs.

1718942555410.png
A photo of a partially mowed nature strip was posted on social media, sparking debate on whether it's a resident's responsibility to cut their neighbour's grass. Credit: Unsplash

On the flip side, Mitchell advocated for neighbourly goodwill, suggesting that mowing your neighbour's side of the strip is a gesture of courtesy and decency, something he has practiced for years. He argued that while the land may belong to the council, residents should take responsibility for their immediate surroundings.

The discussion raises a broader question about the role of local councils and the responsibilities of homeowners. In Australia, councils typically own the nature strips outside properties, yet the maintenance often falls to the adjacent homeowners. This expectation can lead to confusion and frustration, particularly when homeowners are faced with the possibility of fines for neglecting these areas.

But beyond the legalities and obligations, there's a cultural aspect to consider. Australians are known for their community spirit and mateship. Helping out a neighbour by mowing their part of the nature strip could be seen as an extension of this ethos. It's a small act that can foster good relationships and contribute to the overall appeal of the neighbourhood.

However, not everyone is physically capable of maintaining their nature strip, such as the elderly or those with disabilities. In these cases, community assistance or council services might be more appropriate. It's also worth noting that some residents take great pride in their gardening and may prefer to tend to their nature strip themselves, ensuring it meets their standards.

So, who really should cut the grass? It seems there's no one-size-fits-all answer. The debate reflects a broader conversation about community values, personal responsibility, and the role of government in our daily lives.

Key Takeaways
  • A photo posted on Reddit showing a partially mowed nature strip has sparked debate about whether it's a resident's responsibility to cut their neighbour's grass.
  • The issue was discussed on Sunrise, with opinions divided between Entrepreneurial & Small Business Women Australia CEO Amanda Rose and journalist Neil Mitchell.
  • Amanda Rose argues that it is the council's responsibility to mow nature strips, while homeowners shouldn't be obliged to maintain council-owned land.
  • Neil Mitchell advocates for taking personal responsibility and extending courtesy to neighbours by mowing their side of the nature strip.

For our readers at the Seniors Discount Club, we'd love to hear your thoughts on this topic. Have you ever mowed your neighbour's nature strip out of kindness, or do you believe it's the council's job to keep these areas neat and tidy? Perhaps you've found a happy medium or a local arrangement that works for everyone. Share your experiences and opinions in the comments below, and let's navigate this grassy conundrum together!

Sponsored
I have often half jokingly thought that one day I should send a bill to the council for mowing the council nature strip outside my house, but, on the flip side of that notion, I feel that if the council mowed it they would do a shocking job of it, so I think I’d prefer to bite the bullet and “put up and shut up.”
As for mowing the neighbours nature strip, as a general rule of thumb, it would be considered overstepping your boundaries (so to speak), unless the neighbour has given their permission or approval. What may seem a kind gesture can often be taken as an insult by the recipient.
Having said that (or, rather, typed that) I actually mow about ten lawns up and down my street (with their permission of course) as an act of kindness for those who either cannot do it themselves or simply don’t get the time to do it. Mowing is a passion for me, plus it’s great exercise and fills in time during my retirement. It is also a terrific opportunity to think my troubles over.

stuff the lazy pig who doesn;t do his job.
Stuff the lazy council who don't do THEIR job! Next thing is that councils demand that ratepayers mow and maintain local sporting fields and parks! At their own expense.

On the flip side, most councils want to fine you for planting native plants on nature strips while overhanging branches on public spaces are ignored. This corrupt tier of government that should be exterminated.

We have a beautiful young family living next door. The young man loves mowing he is a country kid. He has mowed our nature strip sometimes. Does not say anything but we know he has done it. When we catch up over the back fence it's a huge thanks darling. My husband has mowed their nature strip too, particularly when the family is away. It's not to keep it looking tidy it's just an act of kindness.
In saying that we truly have the best neighbours all around us. Everyone is kindly and caring of one another. It wasn't that long ago l was cooking meals and dropping them off to the elderly widowers in my street. Sad to say they have gone onto heaven now and now we are the middle aged with the younger ones coming into the street all beautiful wonderful people. We are so grateful.
Kind regards to all Vicki

Having moved into our Torrens Tile brand new villa some moons back, we had a small prob with turned over clay & pebbly/rocky residue left overs. Prob solved. levelled the front off as best as possible, had the front concreted, painted & sealed. Then with the nature strip to the gutter, totally impossible to have any grass growing because of the same residue leftovers, I levelled that off the best way I could, laid weed proof matting down, then nailed all around the edges & laid it all with river lucky stone size pebbles. I didn't worry abt council approval, just did it. Luckily no complaints. My new neighbours did the same to their nature strip as well. Looks really good indeed. One of the best things I've done. There again, we're lucky as we're not a main type of street situation. There are no footpath situations.

Reactions: Ezzy
Many moons ago in our first home, a Homes West property we bought, l used to mow & edge the next door neighbour's verge which connected ours. These were both really only Guildford grass. I don't recall asking first & they appreciated the gesture.

Reactions: BellaB18
A simple solution, Ask them if they mind you moving their strip when you do yours, if you prefer to have it mown.