Find out the truth: Are expensive sunglasses really worth your money or is it just a luxury lie? Eyewear experts spill the secrets!

When the sun is shining bright, and you're planning to spend the day outdoors, a good pair of sunglasses becomes an essential accessory. Not only do they add a touch of style to your look, but they also protect your eyes from harmful UV rays. However, with such a vast range of prices, from the $10 pair at the local chemist to the high-end designer shades costing hundreds, it begs the question: are expensive sunglasses really worth the investment, or is it just a luxury lie? Let's delve into the insights from eyewear experts to uncover the truth.

Firstly, it's important to understand what you're paying for when you purchase a pair of sunglasses. According to Linda Hammond, CEO of Otra Eyewear, while a hefty price tag often includes the brand name and marketing costs, it doesn't necessarily guarantee a superior product. Otra's frames, which are popular among celebrities like Kylie Jenner and Hailey Bieber, range from $65 to $75 and promise the same level of UV protection that is mandated by Australian standards.

UV protection is a critical factor when choosing sunglasses. In Australia, where the sun can be particularly harsh, ensuring that your sunglasses meet the Australian and New Zealand standards (AS/NZS 1067:2003) for UV protection is non-negotiable. This standard ensures that the lenses block out 99-100% of UVA and UVB radiation. Some cheaper sunglasses may only meet the minimum requirements for one market, potentially offering lower-quality protection.

1725423176794.png
Experts highlighted the key differences in quality and protection between cheap and expensive sunglasses. Credit: @otraeyewear / Instagram

When it comes to materials and construction, the price can be indicative of quality to some extent. Frames starting around $50 are likely to offer better quality lenses, frames, and hinges, which can result in more comfortable and protective wear. Jonathan Crespo, North America CEO of eco-friendly eyewear brand IZIPIZI, points out that while price doesn't always reflect quality, it does convey brand positioning. Some high-priced frames may use low-cost materials, while some affordable options might surprise you with premium materials.

Comfort is another aspect to consider. A well-fitting pair of sunglasses should sit comfortably on your face without being too tight or too loose. The pupil should be near the centre of the lens for optimal vision and protection. Sometimes, a simple adjustment by a professional can make a budget-friendly pair fit as well as a designer one.

Paige Brubaker, founder of Bru Eyewear, emphasises that brand name plays a significant role in the pricing of sunglasses. While buzzwords like 'polarised' or 'anti-glare' can increase the cost, they may be more about personal preference than necessity. However, she acknowledges that some high-end brands justify their prices with the use of luxurious materials like sterling silver, gold, and diamonds.

So, what's the verdict? It seems that while expensive sunglasses can be a statement of fashion and status, they are not always a necessity for good eye protection. It's possible to find reasonably priced sunglasses that offer the same level of UV protection and comfort as their pricier counterparts. The key is to look for sunglasses that meet the necessary safety standards fit well, and feel comfortable.

For our savvy seniors, it's worth noting that spending a fortune on sunglasses isn't a must. Instead, focus on the quality of the lenses and the fit of the frames. Remember to check for UV protection labels, and don't be afraid to ask for adjustments to ensure a perfect fit. Whether you choose to invest in a designer pair or opt for a more budget-friendly option, what matters most is that your eyes are shielded from the sun's harmful rays.
Key Takeaways
  • Eyewear experts advise on significant differences between cheap and expensive sunglasses regarding quality and eye protection.
  • It's essential to look for sunglasses with proper UV protection, which may not be guaranteed in cheaper pairs.
  • While price doesn't always reflect quality, it is advised to avoid extremely low-cost options that lack detailed product information.
  • Opting for mid-range priced sunglasses can offer the same levels of protection and functionality as more expensive, branded ones.
We'd love to hear from you, members of the Seniors Discount Club! Have you found a pair of sunglasses that combines both style and protection without breaking the bank? Or perhaps you've treated yourself to a designer pair and found them to be worth every penny? Share your experiences and tips in the comments below!

Reactions: janj and Dynamo
Sponsored
Hubby has always had sunnies from the cancer council which cost around $50. He is happy with them , so am I due to the ammount of glasses he loses !

I've always had designer glasses only because they feel better. For two years now I have had sunglasses from Mimco cost around $300 and they are the best glasses I've had, and I've had plenty. I've loved them so much. just got my 2nd pair.

Two years aago, I was told I had cataract and need to wear sunglasses whenever outside to slow it down.
They also said everyone should be wearing sunglasses when outside to prevent cataract

Last edited:
Reactions: DLHM and midgemills
Me too. After cataracts removal, my eyes were more sensitive to the sun. The Ray Bans have very dark lenses, fit great and polarised to cut the glare. 😎
Yep they were great when we used to go out in the boat fishing 👍

Reactions: DLHM