Find out the shocking mistake you're probably making with your Coles and Woolworths bags!

People are always looking for practical tips to make life easier and more sustainable.

However, one mum shared an often-overlooked tip that's eco-friendly and essential for maintaining hygiene.

It's a simple practice: regularly washing reusable shopping bags.

The mum has been leading by example, using the same four Coles shopping bags since 2006.

Her secret to keeping them in pristine condition? She washes them regularly.

This savvy shopper has managed to save hundreds of dollars by avoiding the purchase of new paper and plastic bags, all while contributing to a cleaner environment.

compressed-pexels-liliana-drew-9462674.jpeg
Keeping reusable shopping bags clean is a good practice, as it helps in keeping grocery items fresh and germ-free. Image Credit: Liliana Drew/Pexels

Just recently, she gave her bags a thorough clean.

'Such a lovely sunny day here I thought I’d wash my shopping bags,' she posted on Facebook, along with a photo of her bags drying on a rack.

Her method is simple yet effective: soaking the bags in hot water with detergent, giving them a light scrub, and then rinsing them with cold water.

A quick spin in the washing machine, and they're as good as new.

But why is this important? Checkout workers have shared some horror stories that might turn your stomach.

‘I remember my days on checkout, some bags smelt so revolting I had to hold my breath to prevent vomiting and scan as fast as possible,’ one comment said.

‘As someone who works at Cole’s in the checkouts—thank you,’ another comment read.

‘The amount of smelly bags we deal with, whether urine-soaked or the stench of cigarettes, it’s so gross.’

Other comments reveal shocking contents—from unwiped blood from produce, to seeing a dead rat inside a shopping bag.

Washing your grocery bags is not just about aesthetics; it's a health matter.

Keeping your bags free of bacteria and unpleasant smells is crucial, especially when you're transporting food.

It is also a cost-effective habit. While the 25-cent bags at the counter might not seem like much, the cost adds up over time.

Others also chimed in with their practices. Some have been using their parents' bags since the 1980s, proving that these bags can last a lifetime with proper care.

'No need to keep buying bags, keep them clean and they will last forever,' one member shared.

Others have adopted creative solutions, like spraying bags with vanilla to keep them smelling fresh or using canvas bags that fold up neatly and can be tossed into the washing machine.

So, don’t neglect washing your reusable shopping bags.

Not only does it save you money and help the environment, it also ensures that the food you bring into your home is as clean as possible.

Let's take a page out of this mum's book and make bag hygiene a regular part of our routine.

Whether you hand wash or machine wash, keeping your bags clean is a simple step with significant benefits.
Key Takeaways

• A mum has been using the same four Coles shopping bags since 2006, maintaining them by washing them regularly.
  • The mother suggests hand washing as an efficient use of water and electricity.
  • Checkout workers have expressed their appreciation for the cleanliness of their bags, contrasting with their experiences of smelly or dirty bags from other customers.
  • Washing reusable bags not only prevents bacteria, it also saves money as disposable bags can accumulate costs.
Do you have any tips for keeping your shopping bags in tip-top shape? Share your stories and advice in the comments below.

Reactions: Liag, Liz and BJM
Sponsored
I purchased a 5 pack in a carry-case from Coles ages ago when they started to push BYO bags. They are made from polyester. I wash them regularly and I have had to mend the seams a few times . I have even made some more to put in my carry bag. I never go without them.

Never purchased a reusable bag or bought a drink that requires a deposit from the day they introduced them and don't intend to...

Reactions: Graham12
there's many complaints getting around as to the handles on the paper bags tearing off and the bottom falling out, easy soulotion is if you have to use these paper bags remove the handles... they are no longer there to detach and the bonus is you would then have to carry it by the bottom... another problem solved

This whole bag issue is BS.... they obviously don't a quality assurance on them or the people doing the QA testing have never shopped in their lives.
Luckily I have never spent a cent on this madness....

The whole point of plastic or single use bags was hygiene. They replaced reused bags which became horrid over time. Since plastic was introduced, food poisoning has become very rare.

Reactions: IAN3005
The bags you can buy these days from the supermarkets would not survive a wash without falling apart ! The ones meant for cold stuff especially they are cheap plastic with zips that break after a few uses.

Reactions: Gsr and IAN3005
Hardly a novel idea.
I have not used a store bought bag for over 20 years.
My home made bags (courtesy of my very talented sister) have lasted me for all that time.
Of course you wash them when they need it. Duuuuh.