Feeling Nostalgic? Take a Trip down Memory Lane with Australia's Favourite Snack from the Past

Ah, the joys of childhood! From bike rides with friends to endless hours playing in the park and running around outside, those days may have been a long time ago, but we can still feel the joy and innocence of those memories.

What was your favourite snack from your childhood? Whether it's a particular type of chips, a classic chocolate bar, or perhaps a soft drink from the corner shop, most of us had (and still have!) a few favourites.

One such snack that Australians of all ages haven’t forgotten is Chickadee, a potato chip that was the go-to snack of generations of Aussies.

It's a classic treat with a bold flavour and crunchy texture, and we're sure it'll always have devoted fans. Many of us remember its iconic retro packaging – it's still a sight to behold!

Someone took to social media to post a picture of a worn-out Chickadee packet from the past, prompting an emotional wave of nostalgia among many Aussies who instantly remembered the beloved snack.

331079999_1150511492274020_2498165617524843140_n.jpg
Many Aussies can still remember the jingle for the popular snack. Credit: Facebook/Old Shops Australia.

'These were nice', they wrote in a post in the Old Shops Australia Facebook group.

Many shared their memories of the popular snack, with some recalling how they used to snack on these chips during school.

One user wrote: ‘Used to order this in my primary school lunch orders. It was soooo good!’

‘I think 10c at the pools in 70s or 80s. We would get money for the bus and to get in we would walk to buy snacks,’ another shared.

A third chimed in: ‘My mum used to buy these for after school every day.’

‘Takes me back to the playground at school in the 80s!!! That’s a very old packet,’ another added.

Others shared how they used to shrink the empty packets in the oven.

The Chickadee snack has a long and exciting history in Australia. It was first introduced in the 1950s by Smith's Snackfood Company and later acquired by PepsiCo in 1998.

Unsurprisingly, many Australians grew up with the snack, with many recalling the jingle to promote it.

One user shared: ‘Chickadees chick chick chickadees they’re chicken flavoured and crunchy. I never forgot that jingle!’

‘I started singing the jingle in my head as soon as I saw the picture,’ another claimed.

A third joked: ‘My kids bought me a packet the other day as I was driving them nuts, singing the advertising jingle out loud (couldn't get it out of my head haha).’

And yes, you’ll be pleased to hear that these delicious treats are still available. Whether you frequent Woolworths, IGA, or Coles, many are stocking Chickadee chips on their shelves, usually in a green packet.

172110.jpg
Many shoppers reported that the snack is back in the market. Credit: Woolworths.

One shopper said: ‘I was told you could still get them, so I went to Coles & found them! They now come in green packets. They taste as I remember.’

‘The Chickadee pieces are bigger or thicker now than I remember them, but the flavour is still there,’ another claimed.

Key Takeaways
  • Many Australians have childhood memories of simpler times and familiar snacks from their youth.
  • Chickadee chips were a beloved snack in Australian pantries for decades.
  • The snack evokes nostalgia and reminiscence for generations of Aussies.
  • A recent post on the Old Shops Australia Facebook group has reminded Aussies of the nostalgia associated with Chickadee chips.

Who would’ve thought that Chickadees would still be around? Despite the passing of time, this iconic snack has managed to stay relevant in the hearts and minds of Australians.

In fact, there has been a recent resurgence of interest in classic Aussie snacks, including Chickadees, as younger generations discover the unique flavours and nostalgia that these snacks offer.

Regrettably, a number of beloved products from past decades, such as Sunnyboy, Arnott's Coffee Scroll Biscuits, Incredibites, Vice Versas, Bugz, Milo Chocolate Bar, Strawberry Dunkaroos, and Paddle Pop Frozen Thick Shake and Mud Puddle, are no longer available.
Unfortunately, a number of beloved products from past decades, such as Sunnyboy, Arnott's Coffee Scroll Biscuits, Incredibites, Vice Versas, Bugz, Milo Chocolate Bar, Strawberry Dunkaroos, and Paddle Pop Frozen Thick Shake and Mud Puddle, are no longer available.

But luckily, select stores are now offering Bertie Beetles and Nerds Ropes for purchase once again, following a period of discontinuation.

Some Nostalgic Australian Snacks That Have Been Discontinued.jpg
Some of the snacks from yesteryear that were discontinued. Luckily, Bertie Beetles and Nerds Ropes are once again available for purchase from select stores after some time of being discontinued. Credit: Seniors Discount Club.

While many older Australians hold cherished memories of snacking on Chickadees during childhood, younger generations also fall in love with this timeless snack, proving that its appeal spans generations.

How about you? Do you still remember Chickadees? What are your fondest memories of the snack? Share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Ah, the joys of childhood! From bike rides with friends to endless hours playing in the park and running around outside, those days may have been a long time ago, but we can still feel the joy and innocence of those memories.

What was your favourite snack from your childhood? Whether it's a particular type of chips, a classic chocolate bar, or perhaps a soft drink from the corner shop, most of us had (and still have!) a few favourites.

One such snack that Australians of all ages haven’t forgotten is Chickadee, a potato chip that was the go-to snack of generations of Aussies.

It's a classic treat with a bold flavour and crunchy texture, and we're sure it'll always have devoted fans. Many of us remember its iconic retro packaging – it's still a sight to behold!

Someone took to social media to post a picture of a worn-out Chickadee packet from the past, prompting an emotional wave of nostalgia among many Aussies who instantly remembered the beloved snack.

View attachment 15318
Many Aussies can still remember the jingle for the popular snack. Credit: Facebook/Old Shops Australia.

'These were nice', they wrote in a post in the Old Shops Australia Facebook group.

Many shared their memories of the popular snack, with some recalling how they used to snack on these chips during school.

One user wrote: ‘Used to order this in my primary school lunch orders. It was soooo good!’

‘I think 10c at the pools in 70s or 80s. We would get money for the bus and to get in we would walk to buy snacks,’ another shared.

A third chimed in: ‘My mum used to buy these for after school every day.’

‘Takes me back to the playground at school in the 80s!!! That’s a very old packet,’ another added.

Others shared how they used to shrink the empty packets in the oven.

The Chickadee snack has a long and exciting history in Australia. It was first introduced in the 1950s by Smith's Snackfood Company and later acquired by PepsiCo in 1998.

Unsurprisingly, many Australians grew up with the snack, with many recalling the jingle to promote it.

One user shared: ‘Chickadees chick chick chickadees they’re chicken flavoured and crunchy. I never forgot that jingle!’

‘I started singing the jingle in my head as soon as I saw the picture,’ another claimed.

A third joked: ‘My kids bought me a packet the other day as I was driving them nuts, singing the advertising jingle out loud (couldn't get it out of my head haha).’

And yes, you’ll be pleased to hear that these delicious treats are still available. Whether you frequent Woolworths, IGA, or Coles, many are stocking Chickadee chips on their shelves, usually in a green packet.

View attachment 15316
Many shoppers reported that the snack is back in the market. Credit: Woolworths.

One shopper said: ‘I was told you could still get them, so I went to Coles & found them! They now come in green packets. They taste as I remember.’

‘The Chickadee pieces are bigger or thicker now than I remember them, but the flavour is still there,’ another claimed.

Key Takeaways

• Many Australians have childhood memories of simpler times and familiar snacks from their youth.
  • Chickadee chips were a beloved snack in Australian pantries for decades.
  • The snack evokes nostalgia and reminiscence for generations of Aussies.
  • A recent post on the Old Shops Australia Facebook group has reminded Aussies of the nostalgia associated with Chickadee chips.

Who would’ve thought that Chickadees would still be around? Despite the passing of time, this iconic snack has managed to stay relevant in the hearts and minds of Australians.

In fact, there has been a recent resurgence of interest in classic Aussie snacks, including Chickadees, as younger generations discover the unique flavours and nostalgia that these snacks offer.

Regrettably, a number of beloved products from past decades, such as Sunnyboy, Arnott's Coffee Scroll Biscuits, Incredibites, Vice Versas, Bugz, Milo Chocolate Bar, Strawberry Dunkaroos, and Paddle Pop Frozen Thick Shake and Mud Puddle, are no longer available.
Unfortunately, a number of beloved products from past decades, such as Sunnyboy, Arnott's Coffee Scroll Biscuits, Incredibites, Vice Versas, Bugz, Milo Chocolate Bar, Strawberry Dunkaroos, and Paddle Pop Frozen Thick Shake and Mud Puddle, are no longer available.

But luckily, select stores are now offering Bertie Beetles and Nerds Ropes for purchase once again, following a period of discontinuation.

View attachment 15317
Some of the snacks from yesteryear that were discontinued. Luckily, Bertie Beetles and Nerds Ropes are once again available for purchase from select stores after some time of being discontinued. Credit: Seniors Discount Club.

While many older Australians hold cherished memories of snacking on Chickadees during childhood, younger generations also fall in love with this timeless snack, proving that its appeal spans generations.

How about you? Do you still remember Chickadees? What are your fondest memories of the snack? Share them with us in the comments below!
I am 66 and have never tried Chickadees. I don’t even recall seeing the advert for them. I live in country Victoria and perhaps they weren’t advertised on some of the country stations.
Like others. I have been disappointed by the discontinuation of some other products over the decades i.e., Thin Captain crackers, Bertie Beetles, Vanilla Paddle Pops and a chocolate snack called ‘Luncheon’, to name a few.
I even wrote to the manufacturer about the Thin Captain crackers but was told the demand had dropped away and would no longer be produced.
Clare.

• Sad
Reactions: Ricci
Never had these but last time I went to Costco, so may people had them in their trolleys

Reactions: Ricci