Family's holiday turns sour after resort’s disappointing decision

Imagine planning a much-needed family getaway, the excitement building as you pack your bags, envisioning the sun, the surf, and the precious moments you will share with loved ones.
Now, picture that anticipation turning to dismay when a crucial member of your family–one who provides essential support–is not welcome.

For the Gay family, their holiday dreams were shattered by a popular Queensland resort's refusal to accommodate their son's assistance dog.

Bianca Gay, a mother of four, was looking forward to a relaxing stay at the Islander Noosa Resort with her family, including her son Porter, who is non-verbal and lives with autism and sensory processing disorder.

The family's holiday plans came to a halt when the resort denied entry for their assistance dog Pierre, despite stating that assistance dogs are allowed on the premises.

‘I actually thought it was a misunderstanding and called and learnt really quickly that it was a purposeful exclusion of my child,’ she shared in A Current Affair.

This decision left the Gays with no choice but to cancel their trip, as excluding Pierre was tantamount to excluding Porter.

boy with dog.PNG
The Gay family’s assistance dog Pierre is important, especially for their child with special needs. Image Credit: Shutterstock

For seven-year-old Porter, environments bustling with people and noise can be overwhelming.

However, with Pierre, their registered assistance dog, Bianca said Porter has found confidence and comfort, enabling him to engage with the community and enjoy new experiences.

'To refuse my son's service dog, that is essentially refusing him access to a holiday and my seven-year-old son has the right to a family holiday like anybody else's kid,' Bianca expressed, highlighting the painful reality of discrimination that families like hers face.

The resort's alleged actions contradict their policy of allowing assistance dogs, and are now raising questions about the consistency of policies across holiday destinations.

While the Gays received a full refund, the emotional toll and the effort to re-plan a holiday can be daunting.

Fortunately, a hotel chain stepped in with a kind offer of a three-night stay for the family, providing a glimmer of hope amid the disappointment.

Bianca said of the experience: 'It's not the disability itself that makes our lives challenging or exhausting, it's the constant need to advocate... against discrimination and barriers.'

This incident serves as a reminder that the battle against discrimination is ongoing, even in places designed for relaxation and joy.

As we look forward to our own holidays, let's take a moment to reflect on the inclusivity of the places we choose to visit. Let's advocate holiday destinations that not only accommodate but celebrate the diversity of their guests. After all, a family holiday should be a source of joy for every family member, without exception.

Key Takeaways

• A Queensland resort allegedly refused to accommodate a seven-year-old's assistance dog, leading to accusations of discrimination.
  • The family's holiday plans at Islander Noosa Resort were ruined when their booking was denied due to the assistance dog being seen as a pet.
  • The child, who lives with autism and sensory processing disorder, relies on the assistance dog to manage in busy environments.
  • The family received a full refund from the resort, and another hotel chain offered them a complimentary three-night stay after their experience.

Have you or someone you know faced similar challenges while planning a family holiday? Share your experiences and thoughts below.

Sponsored
surely this is illegal. I"m sure there is government legislation about assistance dogs and other such as guide dogs cannot be denied entry. Does anyone know more bout this?

Reactions: PattiB
further to my previous message, having been involved in the fund raising for an assistance dog, they are specifically trained and cost a fair bit of money to obtain one.They arent just some dog picked up from the street

I thought this was law! You cannot refuse assistance dogs. Wow. I would be contacting relevant authorities to investigate this company

Firstly I will never go to Noosa Islander Resort. In this day and age, how can they say that a child is not welcome? It does not matter who you are, if you have to have an assistance animal for whatever reason, that animal should be allowed to go with you, wherever you go. I am quite astounded by this, as I have grandchildren with similar issues, and therefore I understand. I sent my daughter, her partner and 5 granchildren on a holiday to Queensland (different resort). They had the time of their life - going to all sort of places and generally soaking up the atmosphere. Yes they had a support animal with them (a dog), and they never had one issue.