Fake video with Russell Crowe's face used to lure people into a property scam: ‘Don’t fall for it’

In an era where technology is advancing at an unprecedented pace, the line between reality and fiction is becoming increasingly blurred.

A recent incident involving Australian star and Hollywood legend Russell Crowe has brought to light the alarming potential of 'deep fake' technology, a sophisticated form of digital impersonation, to deceive and defraud unsuspecting victims.

The 59-year-old actor found himself at the centre of a scandal when a Maltese real estate firm, 'Swipelets', used a deep fake video of him to promote their properties.

The video featured a grainy and unconvincing Crowe delivering a monologue praising the company's new app, with poorly edited aerial clips of prime Maltese real estate playing in the background.

Screenshot 2024-01-25 at 8.42.09 AM.png
A ‘deep fake’ video endorsement of Russell Crowe circulated online. Credit: @russellcrowe / X (formerly Twitter)

The deep fake Crowe enthusiastically announced, 'Ladies and gentlemen, I'm excited to share some fantastic news with you, especially for those of you in Malta or anyone considering a move to this beautiful island.’

‘I recently discovered an incredible tool that has made my house-hunting experience truly seamless and enjoyable.'

Crowe, however, was quick to denounce the video as a sham.

He took to social media to warn his followers about the fraudulent video, stating, 'This is going around in Malta. It is obviously fake…don’t fall for it.’

‘What else is obvious is that this service/business must be shonky and underhanded to resort to this way of promoting itself.’

‘Block, report, ignore. I’ve never used this service [and] I do not endorse this BS.'

Despite Crowe's public denouncement, 'Swipelets' seemed unapologetic, even boasting about their partnership with Crowe on their social media page.

‘Thrilled to unveil our partnership with the legendary Russell Crowe!' the now-deleted post said.

‘Swipelets x Real Estate Agency Malta join forces with the Gladiator himself, bringing you unparalleled real estate experiences.’

'Stay tuned for exclusive listings and a touch of Hollywood magic!'

You can watch the deep fake video below:

Credit: @russellcrowe / X (formerly Twitter)

Crowe's connection to Malta goes beyond this recent issue.

The actor has long been a fan of the Mediterranean archipelago, located between Sicily and the coast of North Africa.

He achieved global fame playing the lead in Ridley Scott's 2000 film Gladiator, many scenes of which were filmed in Malta.

He also performed with his band, The Gentlemen Barbers, in the Maltese capital, Valletta, in June last year.

He even joked about making this country his second home.

'You never know...there have been discussions on citizenship,' he told a press conference.

There have also been rumours about Crowe retiring from Hollywood after 40 years.

Crow addressed his future in the industry last year at the 57th Karlovy Vary International Film Festival in the Czech Republic.

What was his take on this? Find out more about it here.
Key Takeaways

• Russell Crowe has condemned a Maltese real estate company for using a deep fake video of him to promote their properties.
  • The company, Swipelets, boasted about a false partnership with Crowe, claiming he endorsed their app.
  • Crowe alerted his followers about the scam on social media, stating he does not endorse the service and has never used it.
  • Despite being called out, Swipelets appeared unapologetic and continued to publicise the fake endorsement on its now-deleted post on social media.
Have you ever encountered a deep fake video? How did you know it was fake? Share your experiences and thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
In an era where technology is advancing at an unprecedented pace, the line between reality and fiction is becoming increasingly blurred.

A recent incident involving Australian star and Hollywood legend Russell Crowe has brought to light the alarming potential of 'deep fake' technology, a sophisticated form of digital impersonation, to deceive and defraud unsuspecting victims.

The 59-year-old actor found himself at the centre of a scandal when a Maltese real estate firm, 'Swipelets', used a deep fake video of him to promote their properties.

The video featured a grainy and unconvincing Crowe delivering a monologue praising the company's new app, with poorly edited aerial clips of prime Maltese real estate playing in the background.

View attachment 39922
A ‘deep fake’ video endorsement of Russell Crowe circulated online. Credit: @russellcrowe / X (formerly Twitter)

The deep fake Crowe enthusiastically announced, 'Ladies and gentlemen, I'm excited to share some fantastic news with you, especially for those of you in Malta or anyone considering a move to this beautiful island.’

‘I recently discovered an incredible tool that has made my house-hunting experience truly seamless and enjoyable.'

Crowe, however, was quick to denounce the video as a sham.

He took to social media to warn his followers about the fraudulent video, stating, 'This is going around in Malta. It is obviously fake…don’t fall for it.’

‘What else is obvious is that this service/business must be shonky and underhanded to resort to this way of promoting itself.’

‘Block, report, ignore. I’ve never used this service [and] I do not endorse this BS.'

Despite Crowe's public denouncement, 'Swipelets' seemed unapologetic, even boasting about their partnership with Crowe on their social media page.

‘Thrilled to unveil our partnership with the legendary Russell Crowe!' the now-deleted post said.

‘Swipelets x Real Estate Agency Malta join forces with the Gladiator himself, bringing you unparalleled real estate experiences.’

'Stay tuned for exclusive listings and a touch of Hollywood magic!'

You can watch the deep fake video below:

Credit: @russellcrowe / X (formerly Twitter)

Crowe's connection to Malta goes beyond this recent issue.

The actor has long been a fan of the Mediterranean archipelago, located between Sicily and the coast of North Africa.

He achieved global fame playing the lead in Ridley Scott's 2000 film Gladiator, many scenes of which were filmed in Malta.

He also performed with his band, The Gentlemen Barbers, in the Maltese capital, Valletta, in June last year.

He even joked about making this country his second home.

'You never know...there have been discussions on citizenship,' he told a press conference.

There have also been rumours about Crowe retiring from Hollywood after 40 years.

Crow addressed his future in the industry last year at the 57th Karlovy Vary International Film Festival in the Czech Republic.

What was his take on this? Find out more about it here.
Key Takeaways

• Russell Crowe has condemned a Maltese real estate company for using a deep fake video of him to promote their properties.
  • The company, Swipelets, boasted about a false partnership with Crowe, claiming he endorsed their app.
  • Crowe alerted his followers about the scam on social media, stating he does not endorse the service and has never used it.
  • Despite being called out, Swipelets appeared unapologetic and continued to publicise the fake endorsement on its now-deleted post on social media.
Have you ever encountered a deep fake video? How did you know it was fake? Share your experiences and thoughts in the comments below.

I never fail to get creeped out when I see a deep fake video (or really any AI-generated human)... there's always just something off with them I never could put a finger to.

I don’t understand how a celebrity’s endorsement is supposed to be more convincing or persuasive than that of the average person who would probably have more knowledge anyway. Besides, actors are just practicing their craft.

We were recently bought to the attention of a website, legal (I use the term loosely, because I do not agree with there unscrupulous tactics. It is a collection of websites sitting under Unlimited Multimedia, they piggybacked onto the end of a Microsoft App and sign you up for $1, all the while you still believe you are in the Microsoft app.
Then after making this payment you are informed that you are now a member, you have 24 hours of the $1 membership, your account will be debited $69 each month and to unsubscribe you have to find the actual site you signed up for to unsubscribe and that closing the website does not unsubscribe you.
So I tell you beware of these dishonest tactics.

• Angry
Reactions: Sockjoan and DLHM
Why would an Australian, living in USA make you want to buy a house in Malta !!!
I been to Malta it's a beautiful place, but why would the scammers pick Russel Crowe !! that alone makes it unbelievable.

Reactions: DLHM