Exposed: The Shocking Account of Racial Profiling at an Airport from Comedian Eric André!

In a world that prides itself on multiculturalism and diversity, it's disheartening to hear allegations of racial profiling, especially in a country as vibrant and varied as Australia. The latest such claim comes from none other than US comedian Eric André, who has accused Melbourne Airport authorities of 'racial profiling' after an incident that occurred following his Qantas flight.

The creator and host of 'The Eric André Show' took to social media to share his unsettling experience. In a video that quickly garnered attention online, André recounted how he was singled out upon his arrival in Melbourne while en route to Brisbane for an upcoming project. 'I got pulled out of a lineup and put in a special line in Melbourne where I was sniffed thoroughly by a dog,' he claimed in the video. 'It's like one of the many times I've been racially profiled at the airport.'

The incident left André feeling unsafe and prompted him to issue a warning to his followers. He specifically addressed 'black, brown, and Indigenous people' travelling through Qantas' T2 terminal, advising them to 'please be careful.' The comedian's distress was palpable as he described feeling targeted solely based on his appearance.

1724289907507.png
US comedian Eric André claimed Melbourne Airport officials racially profiled him. Credit: Instagram

André's allegations didn't stop there. He claimed that officers with the Australian Border Force seemed to be only targeting people of colour. He called upon his audience to provide more information about the 'cockamamie procedure' and to recommend a discrimination lawyer within the country. 'It's unethical, and it's not safe,' André argued, asserting that such practices contribute to a less secure environment for passengers of colour and have nothing to do with actual safety measures.

In a plea that underscored his discomfort, André urged Australian companies wishing to hire him to book flights that would allow him to bypass Melbourne Airport entirely, favouring direct routes to Brisbane or Sydney instead. 'I do not feel safe in the Melbourne Airport,' he stated. 'I do not want to be humiliated or racially discriminated against anymore at these airports.'

The comedian's experience raises broader questions about the treatment of travellers and the potential for implicit biases within airport security procedures. André's refusal to conform to a certain appearance to feel accepted—such as cutting his hair and wearing a three-piece suit—highlights the ongoing struggle for equality and the right to be treated with dignity, regardless of one's race or ethnicity.

In response to the allegations, a spokesperson for Melbourne Airport was quick to address the concerns, telling Yahoo News that the airport 'does not tolerate racism in any form.' The spokesperson emphasized the airport's commitment to welcoming all passengers and ensuring equal treatment. Following André's complaint, the airport authorities contacted the Australian Border Force (ABF) and the Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry (DAFF) to investigate the matter. The ABF responded to André's Instagram post, stating that the interaction did not involve an ABF detector dog.

The situation serves as a stark reminder that despite progress, there is still work to be done in the fight against racial discrimination. It also underscores the importance of vigilance and accountability in ensuring that all travellers are treated with respect and fairness.
Key Takeaways

• US comedian Eric André has accused Melbourne Airport authorities of 'racial profiling' after being allegedly detained and sniffed by a dog following his Qantas flight.
  • André asserts that officers were targeting people of colour, which made him feel unsafe and urges travellers through Qantas' T2 terminal to be cautious.
  • In response to André's claims, a Melbourne Airport spokesperson stated that they do not tolerate racism and expect everyone to be treated equally, adding that relevant government agencies are investigating the matter.
  • The Australian Border Force responded to André's complaint by commenting on his Instagram post, claiming that the incident did not involve an ABF detector dog or personnel.
At the Seniors Discount Club, we stand with those who seek to travel without fear of discrimination. We encourage our members to share their own experiences and to support one another in advocating for just and equitable treatment in all aspects of life, including travel. Have you or someone you know faced similar challenges while traveling? We invite you to join the conversation and share your stories in the comments below.

Sponsored
Can’t remember the last time my husband wasn’t pulled out for same check. Over 70, grey hair, blue eyes, Anglo Saxon. Neat and very, very ordinary looking. Just happens like this sometimes. Good publicity for your show though. Rather they were more vigilant than not.

Famous????? Never heard of him!!! Obviously thinks he is about us mere mortals.
So each 999th person through gets pulled over, That is not racial profiling!!!!He needs to get the LAX and JFK treatment. I am always pulled over as I declare carrying prescription drugs. If you don't handle this just stay home!!!!!

My husband has one of those faces, he always gets pulled over. It's a standing joke with us now, I just say "see you outside"
If you are not guilty of anything then don't let it bother you, go with the flow.

He made the same claim against New Zealand, I think he is just looking for attention and like many Travellers from that part of the world don't understand why we have these laws and why people at singled out, it's not always about the colour of a person's skin

Famous????? Never heard of him!!! Obviously thinks he is about us mere mortals.
So each 999th person through gets pulled over, That is not racial profiling!!!!He needs to get the LAX and JFK treatment. I am always pulled over as I declare carrying prescription drugs. If you don't handle this just stay home!!!!!
So agree with you.. Never heard of him..Maybe he just wanted publicity for his show due to the fact Aussies don't know who in the hell he is..

When my husband goes through security in many airports he is pulled aside for the drug test and last time we were in Melbourne international airport he was pulled aside by security. We always say we get targeted because we are always smiling. This so called famous person needs to get over himself. These people are doing a job and if something happened and it affected mr famous he would be screaming nothing was being done. Just another person thinking they are entitled

Maybe trying for the sympathy vote and extra fans?? Also may have been acting suspiciously therefore it would have been his own fault...If a sniffer dog wasn't used then I'm guessing the exaggeration was for the benefit of his fans..NEVER EVER HEARD OF THIS "FAMOUS" (cough cough) person!

back in 2014 coming back from the US everyone went through the dogs checking for what ever
we are white I was 60 odd and I can say right now good on them for checking everyone as the person next to me had heaps of meat products [a no no]
Im not a regular traveler so dont know if thats normal if not it should be

When my husband goes through security in many airports he is pulled aside for the drug test and last time we were in Melbourne international airport he was pulled aside by security. We always say we get targeted because we are always smiling. This so called famous person needs to get over himself. These people are doing a job and if something happened and it affected mr famous he would be screaming nothing was being done. Just another person thinking they are entitled
My son always gets pulled up too. He got asked if he uses drugs and he said “Mate, if you knew me you’d know I would be the least likely to use them, I don’t even smoke”. But they are only doing their job.

Just where does the Famous Actor bit come in ???
Never heard of him in the past, quite happy NEVER to hear from him in the future !
Not sure you can call him famous, but notorious might fit.

He's somewhat known for having stated in an online interview that:
"I have used nearly every kind of illegal drug available in the world!"

This isn't the first time, and Melbourne Airport isn't the first place that he's accused of being "racist" for searching him for drugs.

Gee I wonder why sniffer dogs like him so much. 🤔

Whilst the activity sounds like there's racial profiling especially as the response seemed only to directly address the inaction of any dog. The result would prove interesting.

Reactions: Ezzy
Im Caucasian and have been pulled for drug tests 6 times a while ago, (Im in my 60's) I asked them Do I look like a terrorist or something the guy says no we are just doing random checks, I said well this is the 6th time in a row, at what point is that no longer random? he just huffed and walked away, I havent had one since.

Hang on a sec - every time I go through security at airports (Gold Coast, Newcastle, Sydney, Melbourne) I get the dubious pleasure of being "wanded" for drugs - white/pink hair, 70yo Granny - is this a case of age & gender discrimination? I find it quite exhilarating to think I may be considered a "bad arse"!