Experts Reveal a Popular Plant Hack That Might Fill Your Home with Mould—Avoid This Mistake!

In the digital age, where social media platforms like TikTok can turn any household tip into a viral sensation overnight, it's easy to get swept up in the latest trends. One such trend that has been sprouting up across the internet is the use of leftover pasta water for watering indoor plants. It's a thrifty idea that appeals to our sense of waste-not-want-not, especially in a world where sustainability is becoming increasingly important. But before you start saving that cloudy pot of water from your spaghetti dinner, let's dig a little deeper into this so-called hack.

The concept is simple: after boiling pasta, instead of pouring the water down the drain, you let it cool and then use it to water your plants. Proponents of this method argue that the starchy water is rich in minerals like selenium and manganese, which are beneficial to the microorganisms in the soil. It sounds like a win-win, right? Not so fast, says gardening expert Dyer. While reusing pasta water might seem like a clever way to recycle and nourish your plants at the same time, it could actually do more harm than good.

Dyer cautions that there is no scientific research backing the benefits of using pasta water on plants. Moreover, the starchy residue left behind can create an unsightly film on the surface of the soil. This isn't just an aesthetic issue; it's a potential breeding ground for unwanted mould. Mould in plant soil can be a serious problem, as it may harm the plant's roots and reduce air circulation within the soil, leading to an unhealthy growing environment.

unnamed (19).png
Kelly Dyer cautions against using pasta water on your plants, as it can lead to mould growth. Credit: iStock

If you're still keen on experimenting with this hack, there are precautions you should take to minimize potential risks. First and foremost, ensure that your pasta water is free from oil and salt. These additives can be detrimental to plant health, causing dehydration and soil toxicity. TikToker Secateur Me Baby suggests boiling pasta without any extras and allowing the water to cool completely before using it on your plants.

However, even with these precautions, the risks may outweigh the benefits. Instead of relying on pasta water, Dyer recommends sticking to a tried-and-true plant care routine. This includes watering with clean water and maintaining a regular feeding schedule with a balanced fertilizer. These methods are not only backed by research but also promote healthy plant growth without the risk of introducing mould into your home.

For our green-thumbed readers at the Seniors Discount Club, we understand the appeal of clever gardening hacks, but we also prioritize the health of your plants and your living environment. Mould can be particularly harmful to those with respiratory issues, and it's not something you want to invite into your home. So, while innovation in gardening is always welcome, it's essential to approach new trends with a healthy dose of skepticism and a preference for practices that are beneficial in the long term.

Key Takeaways
  • There is a trending online hack suggesting the use of leftover pasta water for watering indoor plants.
  • Experts warn that this practice could cause unwanted mould due to the starchy water leaving residue on the soil.
  • It is recommended to water plants with clean water and maintain a regular feeding schedule with balanced fertiliser.
  • If you choose to try this hack, ensure that the pasta water is free of oil and salt and allow it to cool before using it on plants.

We'd love to hear from you about your experiences with indoor plant care. Have you tried using pasta water or any other unconventional methods? What are your trusted tips for keeping your houseplants thriving? Share your thoughts and join the conversation below. And remember, for more tips on gardening and sustainable living, subscribe to our newsletter and stay connected with the Seniors Discount Club community.

Sponsored
I have artificial plants inside that look real.
I love plants inside but unfortunately they never do as good as they do out doors.
I have had a Parlor Palm in my entrance hallway for 25yrs now. it gets the light and fresh air from the front door and light from nearby window, I put it out in the rain to get natural minerals when I can. I water about once fortnightly in winter and weekly in summer. Feed with fertilizer granules about 3 times a year. I have a fine gravel over the soil to prevent potting soil exposure. 🌴

As I have said before on this forum, I knew of someone who died from Legionnaires disease, because of plants in the bathroom. The steamy conditions along with potting mix breathed in while showering and shaving. Avoid plants in the bathroom. :oops:
No plants in my house now ever,learnt my lesson from having cats and dogs little monsters.🤣