Experts expose the critical blunders you're making every day that sabotage your home's tidiness!

Tidying up your home can sometimes feel like a Herculean task, especially when you're not quite sure where to start or how to maintain the order once you've achieved it. But fear not, fellow members of the Seniors Discount Club, because organization experts have come to our rescue with sage advice on the most common mistakes we make when trying to whip our homes into shape.

Caroline Solomon, a New York City-based home expert, recently took to TikTok to share her wisdom on the top five organizational faux pas that can derail our best intentions. With over 16,000 views, her video has struck a chord with many who are eager to declutter their lives.

image.jpg
Caroline Solomon has revealed the top five most common organisational mistakes to avoid. Credit: @neat.caroline / TikTok

The first mistake Solomon points out is the ambitious but often unrealistic goal of decluttering your home in a single day. 'Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither is your home,' she wisely notes. Instead, she recommends tackling the task in manageable chunks. Start with one drawer, one cabinet, or one closet at a time, and set a timer for fifteen minutes to keep the process from becoming overwhelming.

Next up, Solomon addresses the all-too-familiar dance of shuffling piles from one place to another without actually decluttering. It's essential to sort through your belongings and decide what stays and what goes before trying to organize the keepers. This leads to her third tip: always have a big bag or box on hand for items you plan to sell, donate, or throw away. This simple step can streamline the process and prevent unnecessary clutter from creeping back into your space.

The fourth and fifth tips delve into the psychological aspects of tidying up. Solomon cautions against becoming too fixated on achieving a certain Instagram-worthy aesthetic, which may not be practical or conducive to your lifestyle. Instead, focus on what works best for you and your space. Additionally, she advises using broad categories rather than hyper-specific ones when labelling and organizing, making it easier to find homes for your items.

But Solomon isn't the only expert sharing her decluttering prowess. Celebrity organizer Lisa S. Jacobs, founder and CEO of Imagine It Done, also has a '5 step process' to transform your closet into an A-lister's dream. Starting with the 'edit,' Jacobs emphasizes the importance of using clear bags for donations and black contractor bags for trash, each labeled to avoid confusion. She encourages a thorough review of your belongings, reminding us that 'the mirror reflects who you are today, not who you used to be or want to be.'

Jacobs's process includes categorizing, containing, curating, and personalizing, ensuring that every item in your home has a purpose and a place. This methodical approach not only helps to declutter your space but also saves you time and money by rediscovering and restyling items you already own.

So, dear readers, as we embark on our own tidying journeys, let's take these expert tips to heart. Remember, decluttering is not a race; it's a marathon. By avoiding these common mistakes and adopting a systematic approach, we can create a serene and orderly home that serves us well. And who knows, we might just find joy in the process!
Key Takeaways
  • Expert Caroline Solomon identifies the most common mistakes when organising at home and offers tips on how to avoid them.
  • Decluttering your home should be done gradually rather than attempting to do it all in one day.
  • Using bags and boxes to sort items for selling or donating can streamline the organisation process.
  • Avoid being too influenced by social media aesthetics and use broad categories for efficient organising and labelling.
Have you tried any of these tips in your own home? What works best for you when it comes to keeping your space tidy? Share your experiences and advice in the comments below – we'd love to hear from you!

Reactions: natalielocket
Sponsored
I have been spring cleaning for 3 weeks. 1 or 2 rooms a day. I washed walls, windows and curtains. Then tackled the cupboards or wardrobes. On my last room now. I did take a week or 2 off as we went away for a week. When I finish this room I will start cleaning cobwebs, wasps nests and grime from the outside. So for me just decluttering is alright but after winter I need to freshen everything up.

I have been spring cleaning for 3 weeks. 1 or 2 rooms a day. I washed walls, windows and curtains. Then tackled the cupboards or wardrobes. On my last room now. I did take a week or 2 off as we went away for a week. When I finish this room I will start cleaning cobwebs, wasps nests and grime from the outside. So for me just decluttering is alright but after winter I need to freshen everything up.
Well done.
I am in the midst of trying to get our Aged Care provider to do a spring clean for us. We just can't move those bulky furniture pieces, or, scale the ladders to clean windows. It sucks when the spirit is willing but the body says Peeee...off.

Enough of cleaning tips if the body and mind are willing I clean as I need . If only the mind indulges I wait until my body has more energy which is not very often

Try my method.... 4 skip bins full in a week.. I just said to my kids 'EVERYTHING HAS TO GO' Due to the stroke it became an insurmountable arduous task. Cost me $2,000 for the skip bins plus the airfare for 2 from Mackay