Expert traveller shares three things to avoid doing at hotels

Staying in a hotel can be a luxurious experience. Of course, even if we aren't staying in a five-star hotel, we all want to ensure we're safe, and our possessions are unharmed.

Because of this, we here at the Seniors Discount Club are always interested to learn more about unique security and safety tips from experienced travellers.

Max, popularly known as Max Miles Points on social media, is a seasoned traveller and self-confessed 'germaphobe' who recently shared the three things he never does at a hotel.

According to Max, these tips apply no matter the accommodation—whether it's a luxury stay or a budget-friendly motel. So, if you're planning a holiday or a short stay with the family, take a minute to learn how this travel expert keeps his and his possessions safe.

Screen Shot 2023-09-08 at 2.40.53 PM.png
A seasoned traveller shared the things he'll never do at a hotel. Credit: Pexels/Pixabay,

At the top of Max's list of things to avoid in a hotel is using the integrated USB ports on the wall.

Certainly, it may save you from packing an extra adapter in your bag, but these USB ports could also contain malicious software that might steal your personal data and passwords. According to him, you could fall victim to 'juice jacking', another cyber theft tactic.

Malware installed through a corrupted USB port can lock your device or directly export personal data and passwords to the perpetrator. Criminals can then use this information to access online accounts or sell it to others.

To stay safe, charging your phone using your charger cable and adapter is best.

Next, Max steered clear of hotel coffee machines.

'They might look clean and shiny on the outside, but you don't know how often they're cleaned on the inside,' he said. Whether the hotel offers a complimentary coffee machine or you need a morning pick-me-up, Max urged travellers to avoid using them.

According to a hotel expert, the coffee machine is the one item that you should check to see how clean a hotel bedroom is.

Harrison Jacobs, who once spent 300 nights at hotels and Airbnb in one year, revealed that the kettle gives away the state of cleanliness of a hotel.

'When I get to a new hotel room, I pop open the top to the appliance,' he said.

'If I see mould or rust, which happens often, I ask for a new room or shorten my stay to one night and move on to a different place.'

Max never walks barefoot on the hotel carpet. In fact, he travels with a pair of thongs, just in case. He said: 'You never know how clean these carpets are; they just get vacuumed in between guests.'

We don't know about you folks, but this certainly has given us pause for thought!

Max's safety tips certainly put our minds at ease. By following his advice, not only can we have a more enjoyable holiday, but we can also look after our personal data and health in the process.

Key Takeaways

• A travel expert known as Max Miles Points has shared three things he will never do in a hotel.
  • Max advises against using the integrated USB ports on the wall for charging phones due to potential data theft, known as 'juice jacking'.
  • He also avoids using the hotel coffee machine due to potential bacteria and never walks barefoot on the carpets.

Members, what do you think about these tips? Do you have your tips and tricks on staying safe and secure when booking a hotel stay? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
Staying in a hotel can be a luxurious experience. Of course, even if we aren't staying in a five-star hotel, we all want to ensure we're safe, and our possessions are unharmed.

Because of this, we here at the Seniors Discount Club are always interested to learn more about unique security and safety tips from experienced travellers.

Max, popularly known as Max Miles Points on social media, is a seasoned traveller and self-confessed 'germaphobe' who recently shared the three things he never does at a hotel.

According to Max, these tips apply no matter the accommodation—whether it's a luxury stay or a budget-friendly motel. So, if you're planning a holiday or a short stay with the family, take a minute to learn how this travel expert keeps his and his possessions safe.

View attachment 29449
A seasoned traveller shared the things he'll never do at a hotel. Credit: Pexels/Pixabay,

At the top of Max's list of things to avoid in a hotel is using the integrated USB ports on the wall.

Certainly, it may save you from packing an extra adapter in your bag, but these USB ports could also contain malicious software that might steal your personal data and passwords. According to him, you could fall victim to 'juice jacking', another cyber theft tactic.

Malware installed through a corrupted USB port can lock your device or directly export personal data and passwords to the perpetrator. Criminals can then use this information to access online accounts or sell it to others.

'They might look clean and shiny on the outside, but you don't know how often they're cleaned on the inside,' he said. Whether the hotel offers a complimentary coffee machine or you need a morning pick-me-up, Max urged travellers to avoid using them.

According to a hotel expert, the coffee machine is the one item that you should check to see how clean a hotel bedroom is.

Harrison Jacobs, who once spent 300 nights at hotels and Airbnb in one year, revealed that the kettle gives away the state of cleanliness of a hotel.

'If I see mould or rust, which happens often, I ask for a new room or shorten my stay to one night and move on to a different place.'

Max never walks barefoot on the hotel carpet. In fact, he travels with a pair of thongs, just in case. He said: 'You never know how clean these carpets are; they just get vacuumed in between guests.'

We don't know about you folks, but this certainly has given us pause for thought!

Max's safety tips certainly put our minds at ease. By following his advice, not only can we have a more enjoyable holiday, but we can also look after our personal data and health in the process.

Key Takeaways

• A travel expert known as Max Miles Points has shared three things he will never do in a hotel.
  • Max advises against using the integrated USB ports on the wall for charging phones due to potential data theft, known as 'juice jacking'.
  • He also avoids using the hotel coffee machine due to potential bacteria and never walks barefoot on the carpets.

Members, what do you think about these tips? Do you have your tips and tricks on staying safe and secure when booking a hotel stay? Let us know in the comments below!
Thank you Max for your input. It certainly is an eye opening, but I suppose staying in the hotel for a long period of time is different from holidaying. Our experiences is quite different but it's good to know. Thank you

Reactions: Monmc

View attachment 29449

Key Takeaways

do not leave your toothbrush on show.

Reactions: Monmc
Many years ago we stayed in a caravan park cabin overnight. My husband initially could not understand my thinking when I washed every piece of cutlery and crockery before using it for the first time.

I was also told, by my doctor, many years ago that a room cleaner in one of the biggest hotels in Brisbane at the time was caught wiping the toilet and then using the same wipes for the basin.

I have personally witnessed the cleaner in my mum’s aged care place doing exactly the same. I reported it to management & the next time I saw this same cleaner doing my mum’s bathroom she had a roll of wipes (like Chux) and used a separate one for each surface. Hopefully that was not just for our benefit only!

Be aware members - wash what you can before use if you stay anywhere but your own home.