Expert reveals the ‘amazing’ trick to ‘dry clean’ your clothes in washing machine

For many, taking care of our wardrobe is a matter of pride and practicality. We've accumulated cherished garments over the years, many of which come with the dreaded 'Dry Clean Only' label.

The trips to the dry cleaners can be inconvenient and costly, and let's not forget the chemicals involved in the process that aren't always the best for our health.

But what if there was a way to bypass the dry cleaner and still keep your clothes in pristine condition?

Enter Hazel Mckinnie, a cleaning expert from Wee Scotty Cleaners, who has shared a revolutionary tip that could change how we care for our delicate and formal attire.

In a video online, Hazel revealed how you can 'dry clean' your clothes right in your own washing machine.

photo.jpg
Hazel Mckinnie of Wee Scotty Cleaners shared how to ‘dry clean’ your clothes in the washing machine. Credit: @theweescottycleaners / TikTok

‘I am just going to show you one of these settings on this machine,’ she said in her video.

Hazel's method involved using a specific setting on her Beko washing machine, a brand she endorsed for its quality and reliability.

'I have had lots of expensive washing machines, and I love Beko,' she said.

'Even our service engineer who services our machines says Beko is the best. So anyway, I am using the delicate [cycle].’

'Who knew that you could put your suit trousers in? I've got a suit jacket, and I've got a men's three-piece suit. This says "dry clean only", but I'm going to show you a wee trick.'

She added a laundry pod and set the machine to a delicate wash, which automatically adjusts to 800 revolutions per minute (rpm) spin on a 40°C wash.

'That's all I want,' she assured.

After the wash, Hazel said, ‘The wash is finished, and the clothes have washed up amazingly.’

‘Now all I have to do is hang them in a warm room, and they will come up amazingly. All you have to do is maybe just a little steam.’

While Hazel used a Beko machine, which is available from JB Hi-Fi starting from $677, the good news is that many washing machines from various brands offer a delicate washing setting.

The response to Hazel's video has been overwhelmingly positive, with many users eager to try out the trick for themselves.

Some have even commented that they've been using similar methods for years with great success. 'Been doing this for years I never use dry cleaning,' one user shared.

Another added, 'I always use delicate on all my clothes.'

However, a word of caution was advised.

One user warned, 'Works for a lot of suits, but be careful you don’t wash virgin wool. Suits can separate from the wool lining after being washed too many times.'

Interestingly, another user pointed out that this method can also be applied to bedding: 'You can also get dry clean sheets that you pop into the tumble dryer with the garment to clean.'

You can watch her video below:

Credit: @theweescottycleaners / TikTok

Did you know you can save a lot from your laundry?

By making a few changes to your laundry routine, you could save up to $135 or more each year!

A previous story shared the ten ways you could waste your money in your laundry and how to rectify them. Read more about the tips here.
Key Takeaways

• A cleaning expert shared on social media how to dry clean clothes using a washing machine.
  • Hazel Mckinnie from Wee Scotty Cleaners recommended a specific delicate cycle setting on a Beko washing machine for this purpose.
  • The process included using a laundry pod, setting the machine to an 800rpm spin at 40C, and then hanging the clothes in a warm room to finish.
  • Some users have used this trick for years with great results, while others cautioned against washing certain materials like virgin wool too often.
Have you tried this laundry method? What other laundry tricks do you swear by? Share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
'Expert'? But no mention of how the suit is ironed, that's more likely to result in damage (shinning) of the material(s). Hand washing would achieved a similar result along with wool wash as the detergent. Still think dry cleaning would give more satisfaction.