Expert Reveals 3 Household Filters You're Probably Not Cleaning

We all know the importance of cleaning and maintaining the appliances in our homes. If they're not properly looked after, they can break down and cost us a lot of money in repairs.

However, there's more to cleaning our appliances than just giving them a good wipe down - filters also need to be regularly cleaned in order to keep them functioning at their best.

And as it turns out, there are three filters in the home that are often overlooked.

According to Carolina McCauley, a Perth-based cleaning expert, the filters from appliances such as the dishwasher, washing machine and range hood should be cleaned as often as once a week to prevent the build-up of dangerous bacteria.

'Who's been cleaning their filters? I know some of you have skipped a few, don't lie!' posted Carolina on her TikTok channel, which has over 44,000 followers.

Screen Shot 2023-01-06 at 2.51.07 PM.png
Appliance filters can collect dirt, dust, and bacteria and should be maintained just as well as the rest of the house. Credit: Pexels/Mark McCammon.

The washing machine filter, the mum said, is the most commonly forgotten of all three, despite the fact it should be drained and cleaned at least once every three months.

It's generally located behind a door at the bottom of the machine, and a pipe needs to be unhooked to allow the build-up of water to drain out.

'It's a bit awkward, especially if you've never done it before,' Carolina admitted.

Next, the dishwasher filters should be soaked with dishwasher tablets once a week as they attract a lot of bacteria.

And finally, the range hood filters should be regularly degreased. Carolina warned they quickly get covered in a build-up of 'nasty grease' and should be soaked with dishwasher tablets.

Carolina's followers have praised the mum for her advice.

'Thanks to you, I found and cleaned the washer drain. I had wondered why the clothes spin didn't seem to be working quite as well, plus the slightly musty odour that had started in the laundry room,' said one satisfied follower.

Another commented: 'I literally bee-lined for my washing machine after seeing this. It was nasty…'

Bacteria and viruses commonly found in filters

When it comes to cleaning filters in your home, it's important to be aware of the kind of bacteria and viruses that can be harboured in these appliances.

Common bacteria found in filters include Salmonella, Shigella, E. coli, Staphylococcus and Streptococcus. These can lead to food poisoning and other diseases if not cleaned properly. It's also important to be aware of viruses such as the flu, SARS and Norovirus, as these can live on surfaces for many days and spread quickly.

Screen Shot 2023-01-06 at 2.51.14 PM.png
Germs and bacteria often settle on the filter itself. Credit: Pexels/Monstera.

The best way to protect yourself and your family from these contaminants is to make sure that you clean your filters regularly and properly.

This means not only washing the filters in hot, soapy water but also using a disinfectant and rinsing the filter in running cold water. You should be doing this at least once a month but ideally once a week or more often.

By cleaning your filters regularly, you can help prevent bacteria and viruses from entering your home and putting your family at risk. Additionally, regular maintenance of your filtered appliances can help prevent a possible E. coli or other foodborne illness outbreak.

Members, don't let this scenario play out in your home - make sure to regularly check and clean these filters so you can avoid any nasty surprises.

Remember, a little bit of regular attention to these filters can save you a lot of time, money and convenience in the future.

We hope the information in this article helps! Best of luck with your appliances, folks.

Sponsored
The cooker hood filters I just put in the dishwasher. They come up a treat. A tip given me by a restaurant owner.

We all know the importance of cleaning and maintaining the appliances in our homes. If they're not properly looked after, they can break down and cost us a lot of money in repairs.

However, there's more to cleaning our appliances than just giving them a good wipe down - filters also need to be regularly cleaned in order to keep them functioning at their best.

And as it turns out, there are three filters in the home that are often overlooked.

According to Carolina McCauley, a Perth-based cleaning expert, the filters from appliances such as the dishwasher, washing machine and range hood should be cleaned as often as once a week to prevent the build-up of dangerous bacteria.

'Who's been cleaning their filters? I know some of you have skipped a few, don't lie!' posted Carolina on her TikTok channel, which has over 44,000 followers.

View attachment 11329
Appliance filters can collect dirt, dust, and bacteria and should be maintained just as well as the rest of the house. Credit: Pexels/Mark McCammon.

The washing machine filter, the mum said, is the most commonly forgotten of all three, despite the fact it should be drained and cleaned at least once every three months.

It's generally located behind a door at the bottom of the machine, and a pipe needs to be unhooked to allow the build-up of water to drain out.

'It's a bit awkward, especially if you've never done it before,' Carolina admitted.

Next, the dishwasher filters should be soaked with dishwasher tablets once a week as they attract a lot of bacteria.

And finally, the range hood filters should be regularly degreased. Carolina warned they quickly get covered in a build-up of 'nasty grease' and should be soaked with dishwasher tablets.

Carolina's followers have praised the mum for her advice.

'Thanks to you, I found and cleaned the washer drain. I had wondered why the clothes spin didn't seem to be working quite as well, plus the slightly musty odour that had started in the laundry room,' said one satisfied follower.

Another commented: 'I literally bee-lined for my washing machine after seeing this. It was nasty…'

Bacteria and viruses commonly found in filters

When it comes to cleaning filters in your home, it's important to be aware of the kind of bacteria and viruses that can be harboured in these appliances.

Common bacteria found in filters include Salmonella, Shigella, E. coli, Staphylococcus and Streptococcus. These can lead to food poisoning and other diseases if not cleaned properly. It's also important to be aware of viruses such as the flu, SARS and Norovirus, as these can live on surfaces for many days and spread quickly.

View attachment 11330
Germs and bacteria often settle on the filter itself. Credit: Pexels/Monstera.

The best way to protect yourself and your family from these contaminants is to make sure that you clean your filters regularly and properly.

This means not only washing the filters in hot, soapy water but also using a disinfectant and rinsing the filter in running cold water. You should be doing this at least once a month but ideally once a week or more often.

By cleaning your filters regularly, you can help prevent bacteria and viruses from entering your home and putting your family at risk. Additionally, regular maintenance of your filtered appliances can help prevent a possible E. coli or other foodborne illness outbreak.

Members, don't let this scenario play out in your home - make sure to regularly check and clean these filters so you can avoid any nasty surprises.

Remember, a little bit of regular attention to these filters can save you a lot of time, money and convenience in the future.

We hope the information in this article helps! Best of luck with your appliances, folks.

A woman I was living with in NZ mother bought a secondhand washing machine, and was having trouble with the draining of it when I cleaned the pump I found a small diamond ring, she tried to found out who owned it before to no avail, so it became her lucky day.

Reactions: VH904
I clean my washing machine filters weekly, my range hood filters weekly, my vacuum cleaner filters after every vacuum and hubby cleans our air conditioner filter at least fortnightly when in use a lot. I don’t have a dishwasher to worry about. We have fish tanks we change and clean filters weekly as well. Hubby also cleans our rainwater tank filter weekly. Everything seems to have a filter these days, it adds so much extra cleaning to our lives.