EXCLUSIVE: Self-confessed ‘disciplined’ parents were met with backlash after revealing that they force their sons to brush their teeth with soap

EXCLUSIVE: Self-confessed ‘disciplined’ parents were met with backlash after revealing that they force their sons to brush their teeth with soap
Parental Guidance stars and self-confessed 'disciplined' parents Rob and Sioux came under fire after admitting to forcing their sons to brush their teeth with soap when they are 'using their words incorrectly'.

zXNp5DccoBFosWlBI55ajgU7yzv8CQobY1reAxbD-KERcvb6ti3gLRmccsqqKIe778ZO4vkv6cZ52EVoJxttevYFEUwH6lmrMEoDuUAkuQ-xnC4O3dA-HtUryLE1H4JhU03WDJQ

‘Disciplined’ parents Rob and Sioux was met with backlash after admitting that they force their kids to brush their teeth with soap if they’re swearing. Credit: Nine.

The confession was made as a commentary to last week's episode where 'strict' parents Andrew and Miriam revealed that they smack their children when they misbehave.

Rob and Sioux told the group that "smacking is not a consequence we would ever use." However, the couple admitted that they force their kids to brush their teeth with soap as a punishment for misbehaving.

Sioux said: "I think that if there’s anything that we stick to in our house, it is that when you say there’s going to be a consequence, you actually have to follow through with it."

"If they use their words incorrectly, if they’re swearing, or if they’re using abusive or rude language, then an obvious consequence for that would be we actually do put a bit of soap on their toothbrush and brush their teeth with soap."

Footage of Rob and Sioux's sons brushing their teeth with what seems to be regular toothpaste, as opposed to the claims of their parents, was then played.

"We're disciplined with our boys, because we want to - one, prepare them for the real world, but also, we want our children to maybe make a change to, you know, to be the good in the world," Sioux added.

5v-xM16ODaCOdRRvoEeCNvJk60IcibiXqZgMYn-Fj5hBL7c_p_CyD0i0_UmbLNoqVGDk1BTxpWUCll7I1pNUpnyoaODapHkKJCvfHL0C0pO8gL4-Z7nu-FI3IPo20adqqdnCIFY

Rob and Sioux said that the ‘consequence’ helps prepare the kids for the real world. Credit: Nine.

The footage astounded the other parents in the room who expressed their disapproval of the parenting style of Rob and Sioux.

Penny and Daniel, who described their parenting style as 'free range', expressed their utmost dissent over the matter.

Daniel said: "It just brought back some childhood memories that if we did the wrong thing, it was disciplined in a harsh environment."

"My mother washed our mouths out with chilli all the time."

Rob was quick to reply saying the punishment was "not delivered in a harsh environment", but a "very supportive" one.

Sioux supported her husband saying: "And it’s not done in the moment. It’s a lot of reflection, a lot of talks, a lot of love. Whatever the behaviour choice is, we try to match that consequence."

"If you lie to us or you’ve sworn at us, then hopefully cleaning your mouth with soap, you get that idea of 'it just wasn’t OK'," she added.

Daniel was not convinced with the couple's claims saying: "I just couldn't imagine doing it. I just couldn't imagine."

l3_uLWeImKoB9Z5KVnCu94lyjZmim0Y9IZOc0EYaD8GcW3A4vWFhuZki7DrDj4i8uAPyy-vcz6OSkPb8I9gl_ZT_ozDJLatN0mOeo1vtIaYFPrvoP5F7h1tC0n0p-EGE98rgFng

Penny and Daniel who described their parenting style as ‘free range’ expressed their utmost dissent over the parenting style of Rob and Sioux. Credit: Nine.

Deb, a single mum-of-six, said that she supports the couple's method of delegating tasks to their children but she heavily opposes the way they discipline their kids.

Deb then commented that their disciplining style wouldn't work in her family because 'that would create tears".

Sioux then replied to Deb by saying that their method helps their sons to understand that "life has consequences".

"Whether they’re good or whether they’re bad, every action has a consequence. We just want our boys to understand that," she said.

Another parent in the room, Yann, said: "You’re using the term ‘consequence’ so much, you make me feel like stepping away from even using the concept."

Rob then explained that they've only done the punishment "twice" in nine years, defending him and his wife.

"It sounds ominous, grave, serious. There is nothing that sounds like ‘what goes around, comes around’. It could be delivered as simply as that."

B8Cwb_vnkP8rxVKQNMDTS9aOwgvWxyW08lWq9_DmqhRGUgX0N5afBbjs8idBMexYnMpBcqGQ5OBAY8XvoyoDm9BTxT5sryCL9pNz8njvaGwqd-iR-a1P_Ps561OVlhLaBTVoExU

Rob and Sioux said that they’ve only done the ‘consequence’ twice in nine years, defending themselves from Yann who said that the couple was overusing the term. Credit: Nine.

Parental Guidance host Dr Justin Coulson explained that the 'consequence' Sioux and Rob are referring to is just "a sugar-coated form of punishment".

Dr Coulson said: "Consequences and punishments are the same things in this circumstance. In fact, the research clearly says that when parents are more punitive, they increase the risk that their children will behave in delinquent ways."

"Research clearly shows that punishments in parenting don’t work."

"Whether it’s smacking or soap on a toothbrush, it creates shame, not lessons. In the long run, we get better-behaved kids by taking the time to connect when they make mistakes. Just talk to them."

What do you think of Rob and Sioux’s parenting style? Is it really “old school” and “harsh”? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Reactions: Meggary
Sponsored
With all the discussion on this thread about parenting styles, there is only one parameter to judge them by. The children, their behaviour at home and in public, with or without their parents being present. There is an old saying... 'proof of the pudding etc" :cool:
The habits you teach your children before their teen years are there for a lifetime, teaching after that is a waste of your time and energy, the damage has been done.:rolleyes:

I would never watch a show that used humiliation as a means of ‘entertainment’. All so-called reality shows are guilty of it.

Reactions: Hel and IJH
Is this not dangerous for the kids' health?
Application of some ointments and sunscreens has been proven health hazards for some children (as has the eating of sur lollies - a report this week showed the damage a 4 (?) year old child suffered from the ultra-high acid content of one such lolly!

If this show can cause parents to modify their disciplinary styles, I am all for it. Hopefully it is stirring discussions in many homes right now. Discipline that instills self-reflection and personal behaviour modification (as most schools that I have taught in use extensively) is far superior to "consequences". I'd rather educate a child who can process the results of their actions based on caution and risk-assessment (remember: the pre-frontal cortex which is responsible for perception of danger/consequences, is still basically non-operational), than on children who have to experience the consequences of their actions while still in first-aid clinics.
Perhaps this is where the government (State and Federal) need to go with Covid-related "coercion" - and don't ask me how they overcome antipathy, fear, suspicion, anti-vax propaganda: that is another matter :(

Us baby boomers grew up with smacks belts clipped across the ears black bored duster thowen at us, and I smack my children! And talking to them as Adults we and they knew right from wrong and have grown up with lovely families! Now young people are the You Owe Me Society! Want every thing for nothing, too busy with noses in the mobile phone!

I grew up in an era when we respected not only our parents but all adults and answering back usually got us a backhander. More severe breaking of rules got us the belt around our backsides or for boys the cane at school. I'm none the worse for it and actually thanked my parents as it gave me a sense of values that I still live by today. I raised my children with a smack on the bottom if required and have been told by my children to treat their children the same way they were raised as it never hurt them and they are law abiding citizens of society. And yes I washed mouths out with soap when they learnt swear words and were not prepared to listen to reason about why it was inappropriate for children to use this kind of language and profanity became a problem. My 5yr old grandson told me a few weeks ago to "F**k Off, I do what I want" when asked not to climb the railing on my front verandah of my highset house. Washed his mouth out with soap and haven't heard that word out of his mouth since.

I brought my son up wit "consequence": If he broke a toy.... it was gone, no new one for a while. If he came home late for dinner without letting me know in advance or having a reasonable excuse (late train or so), no proper dinner, just a little something. I always (tried to) make the consequence match the bahaviour, but no smacking or similar. And once he got older there was a lot of discussing as well...

Reactions: Kiriwai and WendyP
Us baby boomers grew up with smacks belts clipped across the ears black bored duster thowen at us, and I smack my children! And talking to them as Adults we and they knew right from wrong and have grown up with lovely families! Now young people are the You Owe Me Society! Want every thing for nothing, too busy with noses in the mobile phone!
Exactly, did the same and their families are much better behaved and normal young adults now. All hard workers with responsible jobs. We are very proud of our grandchildren.

Reactions: Hel and Karin
I would never watch a show that used humiliation as a means of ‘entertainment’. All so-called reality shows are guilty of it.
I don't think they are reality shows. If reality is like that, god help the world.

I grew up in an era when we respected not only our parents but all adults and answering back usually got us a backhander. More severe breaking of rules got us the belt around our backsides or for boys the cane at school. I'm none the worse for it and actually thanked my parents as it gave me a sense of values that I still live by today. I raised my children with a smack on the bottom if required and have been told by my children to treat their children the same way they were raised as it never hurt them and they are law abiding citizens of society. And yes I washed mouths out with soap when they learnt swear words and were not prepared to listen to reason about why it was inappropriate for children to use this kind of language and profanity became a problem. My 5yr old grandson told me a few weeks ago to "F**k Off, I do what I want" when asked not to climb the railing on my front verandah of my highset house. Washed his mouth out with soap and haven't heard that word out of his mouth since.
Good for you! :)

Reactions: Hel
Parental Guidance stars and self-confessed 'disciplined' parents Rob and Sioux came under fire after admitting to forcing their sons to brush their teeth with soap when they are 'using their words incorrectly'.

zXNp5DccoBFosWlBI55ajgU7yzv8CQobY1reAxbD-KERcvb6ti3gLRmccsqqKIe778ZO4vkv6cZ52EVoJxttevYFEUwH6lmrMEoDuUAkuQ-xnC4O3dA-HtUryLE1H4JhU03WDJQ

‘Disciplined’ parents Rob and Sioux was met with backlash after admitting that they force their kids to brush their teeth with soap if they’re swearing. Credit: Nine.

The confession was made as a commentary to last week's episode where 'strict' parents Andrew and Miriam revealed that they smack their children when they misbehave.

Rob and Sioux told the group that "smacking is not a consequence we would ever use." However, the couple admitted that they force their kids to brush their teeth with soap as a punishment for misbehaving.

Sioux said: "I think that if there’s anything that we stick to in our house, it is that when you say there’s going to be a consequence, you actually have to follow through with it."

"If they use their words incorrectly, if they’re swearing, or if they’re using abusive or rude language, then an obvious consequence for that would be we actually do put a bit of soap on their toothbrush and brush their teeth with soap."

Footage of Rob and Sioux's sons brushing their teeth with what seems to be regular toothpaste, as opposed to the claims of their parents, was then played.

"We're disciplined with our boys, because we want to - one, prepare them for the real world, but also, we want our children to maybe make a change to, you know, to be the good in the world," Sioux added.

5v-xM16ODaCOdRRvoEeCNvJk60IcibiXqZgMYn-Fj5hBL7c_p_CyD0i0_UmbLNoqVGDk1BTxpWUCll7I1pNUpnyoaODapHkKJCvfHL0C0pO8gL4-Z7nu-FI3IPo20adqqdnCIFY

Rob and Sioux said that the ‘consequence’ helps prepare the kids for the real world. Credit: Nine.

The footage astounded the other parents in the room who expressed their disapproval of the parenting style of Rob and Sioux.

Penny and Daniel, who described their parenting style as 'free range', expressed their utmost dissent over the matter.

Daniel said: "It just brought back some childhood memories that if we did the wrong thing, it was disciplined in a harsh environment."

Rob was quick to reply saying the punishment was "not delivered in a harsh environment", but a "very supportive" one.

Sioux supported her husband saying: "And it’s not done in the moment. It’s a lot of reflection, a lot of talks, a lot of love. Whatever the behaviour choice is, we try to match that consequence."

"If you lie to us or you’ve sworn at us, then hopefully cleaning your mouth with soap, you get that idea of 'it just wasn’t OK'," she added.

Daniel was not convinced with the couple's claims saying: "I just couldn't imagine doing it. I just couldn't imagine."

l3_uLWeImKoB9Z5KVnCu94lyjZmim0Y9IZOc0EYaD8GcW3A4vWFhuZki7DrDj4i8uAPyy-vcz6OSkPb8I9gl_ZT_ozDJLatN0mOeo1vtIaYFPrvoP5F7h1tC0n0p-EGE98rgFng

Penny and Daniel who described their parenting style as ‘free range’ expressed their utmost dissent over the parenting style of Rob and Sioux. Credit: Nine.

Deb, a single mum-of-six, said that she supports the couple's method of delegating tasks to their children but she heavily opposes the way they discipline their kids.

Deb then commented that their disciplining style wouldn't work in her family because 'that would create tears".

Sioux then replied to Deb by saying that their method helps their sons to understand that "life has consequences".

"Whether they’re good or whether they’re bad, every action has a consequence. We just want our boys to understand that," she said.

Another parent in the room, Yann, said: "You’re using the term ‘consequence’ so much, you make me feel like stepping away from even using the concept."

Rob then explained that they've only done the punishment "twice" in nine years, defending him and his wife.

"It sounds ominous, grave, serious. There is nothing that sounds like ‘what goes around, comes around’. It could be delivered as simply as that."

B8Cwb_vnkP8rxVKQNMDTS9aOwgvWxyW08lWq9_DmqhRGUgX0N5afBbjs8idBMexYnMpBcqGQ5OBAY8XvoyoDm9BTxT5sryCL9pNz8njvaGwqd-iR-a1P_Ps561OVlhLaBTVoExU

Rob and Sioux said that they’ve only done the ‘consequence’ twice in nine years, defending themselves from Yann who said that the couple was overusing the term. Credit: Nine.

Parental Guidance host Dr Justin Coulson explained that the 'consequence' Sioux and Rob are referring to is just "a sugar-coated form of punishment".

Dr Coulson said: "Consequences and punishments are the same things in this circumstance. In fact, the research clearly says that when parents are more punitive, they increase the risk that their children will behave in delinquent ways."

"Whether it’s smacking or soap on a toothbrush, it creates shame, not lessons. In the long run, we get better-behaved kids by taking the time to connect when they make mistakes. Just talk to them."

What do you think of Rob and Sioux’s parenting style? Is it really “old school” and “harsh”? Share your thoughts in the
comments below.
Cruel to use the soap on those poor kids. Just explain what they have done and why.

Well, ladies and gents. I thought this was bad, but just this past weekend I heard about how my aunts were punished as children. Being of Indian heritage, chillies and masala are staples in the household pantry, so when the children were naughty, parents punished them by putting these into the kids' mouths. Let's just say I'm glad I am not from that generation 🥲

Reactions: Kiriwai

What do you think of Rob and Sioux’s parenting style? Is it really “old school” and “harsh”? Share your thoughts in the
comments below.
Wow, and i suppose a smack on the bum is out of the question?

I call them unreality shows, because they're all so fake. This is no different.

If this show can cause parents to modify their disciplinary styles, I am all for it. Hopefully it is stirring discussions in many homes right now. Discipline that instills self-reflection and personal behaviour modification (as most schools that I have taught in use extensively) is far superior to "consequences". I'd rather educate a child who can process the results of their actions based on caution and risk-assessment (remember: the pre-frontal cortex which is responsible for perception of danger/consequences, is still basically non-operational), than on children who have to experience the consequences of their actions while still in first-aid clinics.
Perhaps this is where the government (State and Federal) need to go with Covid-related "coercion" - and don't ask me how they overcome antipathy, fear, suspicion, anti-vax propaganda: that is another matter :(
I think consequences are an important life lesson. Some children don't listen to reason. I do not agree with punishments that put children into first aid clinics, that is child abuse. However, a slap when I was a child never did me any harm. Most kids can accept punishment when they know they did wrong. As for your comments about covid, tell it to the 10,000 covid vaccine injured people in this country alone. The jury is still out on the effectiveness or otherwise of this 'vaccine'. As with all things, time will tell. Blackmail and coercion seem unnecessary if something is effective - particularly when it's medical professionals we're talking about! Destroying peoples lives and livlihoods because they refuse to be 'vaccinated' against a disease that is unlikely to kill them? Unheard of. There will certainly be consequences for governments who mandated forced vaccination, worldwide.

Good for you! :)
A lot of discipline we experienced as children taught us about dangers such as you described. That's what the do-gooders always fail to realise. It's a parents (and grandparents) responsibility to keep a child safe until they have enough sense to see the danger in their behaviour. If your grandson fell off your balcony and was injured or killed, you would no doubt be blamed for it and probably called irresponsible. They can't have it both ways! As for what he said - pure disrespect. That is unacceptable, as much as his language. You cured that!