Exciting news for Downton Abbey fans! Big names might return for a surprising revival – find out more!

Ladies and gentlemen, brace yourselves for some exciting news as we turn the clock back to the era of elegant gowns, lavish parties, and British aristocracy: Downton Abbey is rumoured to make a triumphant return to our television screens!

Beloved by fans for its captivating plotlines, intricate characters, and nostalgic portrayal of the early 20th century, Downton Abbey garnered an impressive six seasons on television, along with two movie spin-offs. Now, according to The Mail, the immensely popular period drama centred around the wealthy Crawley family could be staged for a grand revival.

1684720162242.png
The ensemble of actors from Downton Abbey. Source: Carnival Films

The production company behind this Golden Globe-winning show—which spanned the societal changes and momentous events between 1912 and 1928—is reportedly casting at the moment, with hopes of reuniting the original star-studded ensemble. Fans of the programme will undoubtedly be ecstatic if big names like Hugh Bonneville, Michelle Dockery, and Elizabeth McGovern return to the screen.

While it's still early days, insiders suggest the Downton Abbey comeback could grace our television screens as early as the end of next year—though filming commitments of the principal cast may push back that timeline. Nevertheless, the anticipation is growing!

Created and produced by the talented Julian Fellowes, Downton Abbey is expected to return to its rightful home on ITV, where it initially premiered in September 2010. One insider expressed the enthusiasm surrounding the project, stating: 'There is a plan which is in development and there is a lot of excitement about.'

Downton Abbey finished its original television run on Christmas Day in 2015, with an incredible peak of 7.4 million viewers tuning in to watch Edith (Laura Carmichael) and Bertie (Harry Haden-Patton) finally tie the knot. Since then, fan demand has been so high that, in addition to the two movies, the esteemed period drama has become the most nominated British show in Emmy history.

Downton Abbey's Legacy on Modern Period Drama​

Downton Abbey remains a benchmark for period dramas that have been released since, both in the UK and around the world.

The legacy of Downton Abbey may be felt most strongly in its influence on other period dramas. It’s clear proof that audiences still long for tales of the past provided that they are told in an engaging and thoughtful manner.

Confirmation of its lasting impact on the genre can be seen in the huge viewership of Netflix's Bridgerton and its spin-off Queen Charlotte. The attraction to these shows, and others like them, are likely to remain for years to come as viewers continue to crave historical storytelling in a modern format.

Key Takeaways
  • Downton Abbey could be set for a shocking return, as the production company behind the show is now casting and hoping to attract big names back.
  • The popular show centred on the wealthy Crawley family is aimed to be ready for screening by the end of next year.
  • Downton Abbey has been a huge success in the US, with each episode watched by an average of 26 million people.
SDC Members! Have you had the pleasure of watching the captivating world of Downton Abbey? If so, please share your thoughts on this beloved show that has enthralled audiences worldwide. Additionally, we are keen to hear your perspectives on period dramas as a genre? Share your thoughts and join the conversation with fellow members!

Stay tuned for more updates on this thrilling news, fellow Downton Abbey enthusiasts, and keep your fingers crossed for a magnificent reunion of the Crawley family!

Sponsored
Ladies and gentlemen, brace yourselves for some exciting news as we turn the clock back to the era of elegant gowns, lavish parties, and British aristocracy: Downton Abbey is rumoured to make a triumphant return to our television screens!

Beloved by fans for its captivating plotlines, intricate characters, and nostalgic portrayal of the early 20th century, Downton Abbey garnered an impressive six seasons on television, along with two movie spin-offs. Now, according to The Mail, the immensely popular period drama centred around the wealthy Crawley family could be staged for a grand revival.

View attachment 20304

The production company behind this Golden Globe-winning show—which spanned the societal changes and momentous events between 1912 and 1928—is reportedly casting at the moment, with hopes of reuniting the original star-studded ensemble. Fans of the programme will undoubtedly be ecstatic if big names like Hugh Bonneville, Michelle Dockery, and Elizabeth McGovern return to the screen.

While it's still early days, insiders suggest the Downton Abbey comeback could grace our television screens as early as the end of next year—though filming commitments of the principal cast may push back that timeline. Nevertheless, the anticipation is growing!

Created and produced by the talented Julian Fellowes, Downton Abbey is expected to return to its rightful home on ITV, where it initially premiered in September 2010. One insider expressed the enthusiasm surrounding the project, stating: 'There is a plan which is in development and there is a lot of excitement about.'

Downton Abbey finished its original television run on Christmas Day in 2015, with an incredible peak of 7.4 million viewers tuning in to watch Edith (Laura Carmichael) and Bertie (Harry Haden-Patton) finally tie the knot. Since then, fan demand has been so high that, in addition to the two movies, the esteemed period drama has become the most nominated British show in Emmy history.

Downton Abbey remains a benchmark for period dramas that have been released since, both in the UK and around the world.

The legacy of Downton Abbey may be felt most strongly in its influence on other period dramas. It’s clear proof that audiences still long for tales of the past provided that they are told in an engaging and thoughtful manner.

Confirmation of its lasting impact on the genre can be seen in the huge viewership of Netflix's Bridgerton and its spin-off Queen Charlotte. The attraction to these shows, and others like them, are likely to remain for years to come as viewers continue to crave historical storytelling in a modern format.

Key Takeaways

• Downton Abbey could be set for a shocking return, as the production company behind the show is now casting and hoping to attract big names back.
  • The popular show centred on the wealthy Crawley family is aimed to be ready for screening by the end of next year.
  • Downton Abbey has been a huge success in the US, with each episode watched by an average of 26 million people.
SDC Members! Have you had the pleasure of watching the captivating world of Downton Abbey? If so, please share your thoughts on this beloved show that has enthralled audiences worldwide. Additionally, we are keen to hear your perspectives on period dramas as a genre? Share your thoughts and join the conversation with fellow members!

Stay tuned for more updates on this thrilling news, fellow Downton Abbey enthusiasts, and keep your fingers crossed for a magnificent reunion of the Crawley family!
I like millions of others would love to see a Downton Abbey comeback I love love love period shows and movies it’s a time that has well and truly gone but we love seeing and feeling and living these times I’m 73 years old and can relate to some of the times then from my childhood I think that’s probably why people my age enjoy it so much I look forward to some more Downton Abbey YAY 😀

I didn't watch the show until it had actually finished, so I also had no one spoiling it by telling me what was happening. I did enjoy it and both movies and would probably watch a new series should it be released, however, I will miss Maggie Smith.

I watched some of the series on TV, now I have the DVDs, hopefully I will find time to watch them all one day.

Reactions: TATTOO and Ricci

View attachment 20304

Key Takeaways

Never watched it to start with and I am not going to start now

I didn't watch the show until it had actually finished, so I also had no one spoiling it by telling me what was happening. I did enjoy it and both movies and would probably watch a new series should it be released, however, I will miss Maggie Smith.
Yes me too