Ex-MasterChef star Hayden Quinn reveals secret winter menu made with affordable Woolies products

As the chill of winter begins to settle over Australia, there's nothing quite like a hearty meal to warm the soul and bring families together.

And who better to inspire us with a winter menu than a culinary wizard from MasterChef, Hayden Quinn? But here's the twist—every dish on this exclusive menu is crafted entirely from Woolworths Own Brand products!

Hayden Quinn, a familiar face from the hit TV show MasterChef, took on the challenge of creating a winter-warming menu that tantalises the taste buds and showcases the versatility and quality of Woolworths' Own Brand range.

This initiative was to showcase the growing trend of supermarkets offering their own private-label products that rival branded goods.

Screenshot 2024-05-16 080422.png
Hayden Quinn shared winter recipes using Woolies products. Image source: @hayden_quinn/Instagram

The Woolworths Table pop-up, a free culinary event, is set to take place in two of Australia's major cities.

Sydney food enthusiasts will be treated at La Botanique from May 22 to 26, followed by Brisbane's The Joinery from June 5 to 9.

This pop-up restaurant is not just about serving delicious food; it's a showcase of how affordable supermarket ingredients can be transformed into sumptuous, family-friendly meals.

‘It’s going to be unreal,’ Quinn said. ‘We’re going to be highlighting all the fun exciting, amazing ways you can take the Woolworths Own Brand range and make a delicious, tasty family-friendly meals at home.’

One of the dishes featured in the menu is slow-cooked beef cheeks in a rich red wine sauce, paired with mashed potatoes and freekeh salad.

‘The beef is actually a pre-cooked product which I really loved, I was a little bit sceptical but it was pretty awesome,’ he said.

‘It gives you that slow-cooked feeling without having to wait six or eight hours.’

For dessert, Quinn revealed a classic with a twist—a berry and rhubarb crumble topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, the perfect balance of tart and sweet.

‘We’re not a Michelin-star restaurant. We’re cooking food that people love to eat and can recreate at home,’ he stated.

‘It’s inspirational, it’s achievable, and it’s a food that I love that I can cook at home for my family and my wife, my friends,’ the added.

The full menu for the Woolworths Table pop-up is detailed here:

Woolworths pop-up menu .jpg

Behind the scenes, Woolworths Food Company's Managing Director, Louis Eggar, highlighted the meticulous process of developing and testing recipes for Woolworths’ Own Brand products.

He said: ‘Woolworths Table is an opportunity to show how far Own Brand products have come in terms of quality and flavour, and how these ingredients can come together to create delicious, restaurant-quality meals that are amazing value for the family at home.’

In line with the growing consciousness around food waste, the event will be zero-waste, with any leftovers donated to Woolworths' partner, OzHarvest.

Woolworths' Own and Exclusive Brand products have over 6,500 products in the range, averaging 30 per cent less in cost compared to similar branded products.

Those who are interested in attending the free pop-up restaurant can book by visiting this website: https://wwtable.com/

Bookings are now open on a first-come, first-serve basis, with customers able to book dinner for up to four people.

For those who can't attend the pop-up, all is not lost.

Woolworths is making all the recipes available online, allowing anyone to try their hand at these affordable yet delectable meals at home.

Key Takeaways

• Former MasterChef star Hayden Quinn is showcasing Woolworths Own Brand products through a free pop-up restaurant in Sydney and Brisbane.
  • The menu includes dishes like slow-cooked beef cheeks in red wine sauce and a berry and rhubarb crumble topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream
  • The Woolworths Table event emphasises zero waste, with leftovers donated to OzHarvest, and aims to demonstrate how families can make restaurant-quality meals at home affordably.
  • Bookings for the free pop-up restaurant are now open on a first-come, first-serve basis, with customers able to book dinner for up to four people.

What are your thoughts on this event, members? Do you have favourite winter recipes? Let us know in the comments below!

Last edited:
Sponsored