Eradicate 'orange' sunscreen stains from your white tees with this astonishing trick!

Sunscreen: it's a must-have for the Australian summer, protecting our skin from harmful UV rays.

But it can also be the bane of white clothing, leaving behind stubborn 'orange' stains that seem impossible to remove.

However, a savvy mum has discovered a surprising secret to banishing these pesky stains from her white t-shirts, and it's a game-changer!

Bernadette was at her wit's end, trying to remove the stubborn sweat marks left from wearing sunscreen all day.

In her quest to restore her white t-shirts to their former glory, Bernadette turned to social media for advice.

Screenshot 2024-02-01 at 12.31.36 PM.png
Bernadette found an unusual item to remove sunscreen stains. Credit: Facebook

'Alright, friends, I need help...Chloe uses Cancer Council Sunscreen, and it leaves these orange stains,' she said, along with an image of aher daughter’s filthy shirt.

'I have soaked in bi-carb soda, then tried Vanish soak, Vanish spray, Napisan, vinegar, spot bleach, Rinse Aid [and] dishwasher tablets.’

'What is the answer to bring these back to white? There are three shirts to be rescued.'

The responses flooded in, with suggestions ranging from shaving cream to WD-40 and even dissolving denture tablets in hot water.

One woman said, ‘The ALDI Stain Remover is the best I've ever used. Spray generously and leave for several hours (or overnight). For tough stains, while the stain remover is still on, I use the Sard Soap bar and give it a bit of a scrub.’

'Wash in warm water and hang in the sun for the day. If that doesn't work, I'm not sure you'll be able to get it out.'

But the solution that finally worked for Bernadette was entirely unexpected—rust remover.

Yes, you read that right! Rust remover, a product typically used to clean metal surfaces, was the magic ingredient that finally banished those stubborn sunscreen stains.

According to Clorox, a leading manufacturer of cleaning products, those mysterious orange spots that appear on clothing can also be due to rust from the washing machine.

Rust removers contain strong acids, so it's essential to wear heavy-duty rubber gloves before using the product.

To use rust remover on clothing, first, test for 'colourfastness' by applying a drop of the product to a hidden area of the garment and waiting a few minutes before rinsing with water.

If the colour doesn't change, the item is colourfast, and you can proceed. Dampen the stained area with water, then apply the rust remover.

When the stain is no longer visible, rinse the garment and allow it to air dry.

Bernadette was delighted with the results and shared her success on social media, saying, 'Thought I would share, I'm delighted something has finally worked.'

Speaking of stain removers, many assume that the powerful ones come with a high price tag.

This common misconception was debunked by a consumer watchdog, CHOICE, which reviewed over 20 different stain removal sprays to determine the most effective product.

Check out CHOICE’s stain remover choices here.
Key Takeaways

• A mother shared her struggle with removing stubborn 'orange' sunscreen stains from white t-shirts.
  • The stains remained despite trying numerous cleaning agents like bi-carb soda, Vanish, Napisan, and vinegar.
  • She received a game-changing suggestion from social media to use rust remover.
  • The application of rust remover successfully eliminated the stains, a solution confirmed by a positive comment from the mother and advice from Clorox on how to use the product safely due to its strong acidic content.
Have you tried this trick, or do you have another secret to removing sunscreen stains? Share your experiences in the comments below!

Sponsored
If the wise checked the ingredients on Sunscreen, they would not use it.
I am very fair skinned and yes, I have has melanomias removed from my person, I do not use sunscreen.
Instead I use my brain and take precautions such as wearing a long sleeve shirt,long pants, a hat and sunglasses when out in the sun. I also take the precaution to not be out in the worst time of day and if I am, I head to the shadiest spot.

Nothing surprises me anymore after learning that WD40 will magically clean the rust stains out of a toilet bowl. Why I didn't know this hack sooner is beyond me. Sprayed it on, left it for a couple of hours, went back and used toilet brush to clean the toilet and hey presto....NO MORE RUST STAINS. Bloody fantastic.

I tried Exit Mould spray on a white top with stains that the Aldi spray couldn’t remove and the stains disappeared before my eyes! Guess I bleached them out but never try this on colours

• Wow
Reactions: Seia Ibanez
👏Thank you so much PepeLePew( by the way, love the name!), I so needed that tip.😉
Nothing surprises me anymore after learning that WD40 will magically clean the rust stains out of a toilet bowl. Why I didn't know this hack sooner is beyond me. Sprayed it on, left it for a couple of hours, went back and used toilet brush to clean the toilet and hey presto....NO MORE RUST STAINS. Bloody fantastic.

Not sure about the strong acids and using rubber gloves abit worrisome, knowing my luck the stain will disappear as a burnt out hole.😂😂😂

Reactions: Fugly
i do not use sunscreen. we were given pores on our skin for a use. I cover up and try to stay our of the sun. ever heard of skin cancers.

If the wise checked the ingredients on Sunscreen, they would not use it.
I am very fair skinned and yes, I have has melanomias removed from my person, I do not use sunscreen.
Instead I use my brain and take precautions such as wearing a long sleeve shirt,long pants, a hat and sunglasses when out in the sun. I also take the precaution to not be out in the worst time of day and if I am, I head to the shadiest spot.
you and me tactful