ER Doctor reveals food to avoid severe food poisoning risks

Who could turn down a good meal?

But sometimes, it’s in the pursuit of such a thing that some of us end up worse for wear.

A board-certified physician known online as Dr Gabe recently shared a reminder that there are certain foods we should keep an eye out for to stay safe from food poisoning.

As an ER doctor and trauma surgeon from Miami, USA, Dr Gabe has seen too many patients admitted for food-related illnesses.

Photo_20230915_135445_0000.png
An ER doctor shares the top three food he will never eat. Image source: TikTok/@doc.gabe.

He also shared his top three picks of food he will never eat.

'Those are the top [food] I avoid so that I don't get ill,' he said.

1. Raw Cookie Dough

'Cookie dough that comes in ice cream or available at ice cream stores is usually safe because the flour has been heat treated and the eggs are pasteurised,' Dr Gabe said.

'But buying a raw batch that needs to be baked first is a no-no.'

Raw flour can contain a bacteria called E. coli—abundant in foecal matter—-and should not be consumed before being baked.

2. Unpasteurised Cheese / Milk

According to Dr Gabe, unpasteurised cheese or milk is something you definitely want to stay away from due to the risk of poisoning. This isn’t something made up—he claims that lots of patients come in after consuming raw cheese or raw milk.

'[Food] made with raw, unpasteurised milk like cheeses puts you at risk for salmonella and E. coli poisoning,' he said.

According to Dairy Food Safety Victoria people who get sick from unpasteurised milk may show symptoms of vomiting, diarrhoea, and stomach cramping.

3. Raw Oysters

Though many enjoy slurping up raw oysters—one of Dr Gabe’s biggest ‘no-no’s’ when it comes to food safety is consuming these uncooked.

'Oysters are considered filter-feeders which live in coastal or brackish water,' Dr Gabe explained.

'They absorb a lot of harmful bacteria from their environment—including vibrio, which can lead to some serious food poisoning.'

According to Healthdirect, Cholera is an illness caused by the Vibrio cholerae bacteria and those diagnosed with such illness may present mild gastric symptoms.

'I seriously would only eat oysters if they were fully cooked,' he added.

Some expressed their gratitude to Dr Gabe for sharing his opinions with some agreeing to his list:

'Very true! I was so sick after I ate raw oysters,' one said. 'Never again.'

'Thank you for your dedication and Information, please keep posting,' another added.

However, there were also some who expressed their disagreement:

'Everyone in France always eats raw cheese,' one wrote.

'I live in a small town and I pick up milk directly from a farmer and drink it from the bottle—I'm fine,' another said.

You can watch Dr Gabe’s full video below:

Key Takeaways

• An ER doctor and trauma surgeon has revealed the top three food he will never eat due to potential food poisoning risks.
  • The physician, Dr Gabe, shared that he avoids raw cookie dough, unpasteurised milk or cheese, and raw oysters as these have frequently been linked to food-related illnesses.
  • Dr Gabe highlighted that raw cookie dough and unpasteurised cheese/milk can contain E. coli, while raw oysters often carry harmful bacteria due to their environmental surroundings.
  • Many of Dr Gabe's followers agreed with his list and some expressed having had bad experiences with these food, while others disagreed, citing personal experiences of consuming these items without issues.
Are any of the food on Dr Gabe’s list your favourite? Will you be taking his advise and avoid eating them from now on? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Last edited:
Sponsored
Who could turn down a good meal?

But sometimes, it’s in the pursuit of such a thing that some of us end up worse for wear.

A board-certified physician known online as Dr Gabe recently shared a reminder that there are certain foods we should keep an eye out for to stay safe from food poisoning.

As an ER doctor and trauma surgeon from Miami, USA, Dr Gabe has seen too many patients admitted for food-related illnesses.

View attachment 30008
An ER doctor shares the top three food he will never eat. Image source: TikTok/@doc.gabe.

He also shared his top three picks of food he will never eat.

'Those are the top [food] I avoid so that I don't get ill,' he said.

1. Raw Cookie Dough

'Cookie dough that comes in ice cream or available at ice cream stores is usually safe because the flour has been heat treated and the eggs are pasteurised,' Dr Gabe said.

'But buying a raw batch that needs to be baked first is a no-no.'

Raw flour can contain a bacteria called E. coli—abundant in foecal matter—-and should not be consumed before being baked.

2. Unpasteurised Cheese / Milk

According to Dr Gabe, unpasteurised cheese or milk is something you definitely want to stay away from due to the risk of poisoning. This isn’t something made up—he claims that lots of patients come in after consuming raw cheese or raw milk.

'[Food] made with raw, unpasteurised milk like cheeses puts you at risk for salmonella and E. coli poisoning,' he said.

According to Dairy Food Safety Victoria people who get sick from unpasteurised milk may show symptoms of vomiting, diarrhoea, and stomach cramping.

3. Raw Oysters

Though many enjoy slurping up raw oysters—one of Dr Gabe’s biggest ‘no-no’s’ when it comes to food safety is consuming these uncooked.

'Oysters are considered filter-feeders which live in coastal or brackish water,' Dr Gabe explained.

'They absorb a lot of harmful bacteria from their environment—including vibrio, which can lead to some serious food poisoning.'

According to Healthdirect, Cholera is an illness caused by the Vibrio cholerae bacteria and those diagnosed with such illness may present mild gastric symptoms.

'I seriously would only eat oysters if they were fully cooked,' he added.

Some expressed their gratitude to Dr Gabe for sharing his opinions with some agreeing to his list:

'Very true! I was so sick after I ate raw oysters,' one said. 'Never again.'

'Thank you for your dedication and Information, please keep posting,' another added.

However, there were also some who expressed their disagreement:

'Everyone in France always eats raw cheese,' one wrote.

'I live in a small town and I pick up milk directly from a farmer and drink it from the bottle—I'm fine,' another said.

You can watch Dr Gabe’s full video below:

Key Takeaways

• An ER doctor and trauma surgeon has revealed the top three food he will never eat due to potential food poisoning risks.
  • The physician, Dr Gabe, shared that he avoids raw cookie dough, unpasteurised milk or cheese, and raw oysters as these have frequently been linked to food-related illnesses.
  • Dr Gabe highlighted that raw cookie dough and unpasteurised cheese/milk can contain E. coli, while raw oysters often carry harmful bacteria due to their environmental surroundings.
  • Many of Dr Gabe's followers agreed with his list and some expressed having had bad experiences with these food, while others disagreed, citing personal experiences of consuming these items without issues.
Are any of the food on Dr Gabe’s list your favourite? Will you be taking his advise and avoid eating them from now on? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

I used to eat raw oysters all the time in tassie never got sick😁

got so violently ill after consuming six oysters for lunch one day I'll never forget.....I was crook for three days with vomiting and diarrhea, 24 hours a day. That was 45 years ago and have never touched oysters since. A lot of people reported getting ill the same day in Melbourne, it made the news. Apparently a bad batch of oysters from Sydney were flown down to a lot of restaurants, however it appeared that the oyster farms had been washed over with effluent from an upstream Council waste station that had leaked into the river.

Reactions: Littleboy8
got so violently ill after consuming six oysters for lunch one day I'll never forget.....I was crook for three days with vomiting and diarrhea, 24 hours a day. That was 45 years ago and have never touched oysters since. A lot of people reported getting ill the same day in Melbourne, it made the news. Apparently a bad batch of oysters from Sydney were flown down to a lot of restaurants, however it appeared that the oyster farms had been washed over with effluent from an upstream Council waste station that had leaked into the river.
Ewwwww🤮💩

Last edited:
Hey, cooky pastry tastes delicious, as does cake mix, and even bread dough! I grew up on that stuff and never fell ill from any of them!

As for pasteurised eggs - what on earth are they? I know how milk is pasteurised, but eggs???????

As a child we used to purchase our milk directly from a farmer and skim off the cream in the morning. I used to love drinking milk straight from the moo-moo as long as it was cold. Then my mother boiled it and there was no way on earth I would drink milk that had been boiled.

We also bought butter and cheeses directly from farmers, my favourite was a sheep cream cheese, also smoked bacon (that bacon did not have to be cooked before eating it in a sandwich), in short, all those wonderful foods that we are told will kill us.

Nobody died, nobody ever even heard of ecoli and all the other things like "foecal" matter.

Btw, I used up some out of date milk this morning to make crepes for breakfast. Yummy!!!

Hey, cooky pastry tastes delicious, as does cake mix, and even bread dough! I grew up on that stuff and never fell ill from any of them!

As for pasteurised eggs - what on earth are they? I know how milk is pasteurised, but eggs???????

As a child we used to purchase our milk directly from a farmer and skim off the cream in the morning. I used to love drinking milk straight from the moo-moo as long as it was cold. Then my mother boiled it and there was no way on earth I would drink milk that had been boiled.

We also bought butter and cheeses directly from farmers, my favourite was a sheep cream cheese, also smoked bacon (that bacon did not have to be cooked before eating it in a sandwich), in short, all those wonderful foods that we are told will kill us.

Nobody died, nobody ever even heard of ecoli and all the other things like "foecal" matter.

Btw, I used up some out of date milk this morning to make crepes for breakfast. Yummy!!!
So I wonder what is a pasteurised egg is, I wonder if it is one that you hold in your hand in front of your face and then move it from one side of your face to the other side in front of your eyes!!

When I was younger, we never had pasteurised milk and even at school had to take the cream off the milk bottles. My father even had oysters shipped up from the coast and we had the natural, although some members also had them cooked, never got sick.

In a another life time as a child I drank milk straight from the he cow , but certainly would not do it now.

Reactions: Littleboy8