English actress Sally Ann Howes passes away at age 91

Sally Ann Howes, the actress best known for starring in the 1968 musical film ‘Chitty Chitty Bang Bang’, has passed away at the age of 91.

Her son, Andrew Hart Adler, confirmed the news on Wednesday and shared an old photograph of the two of them together.

“Sally Ann and I in 1967 off of Catalina. You are finally with Douglas,” wrote the artist in the caption. Sally’s husband of 48 years, Douglas Rae, had also passed earlier this year.

“All my memories of you live on.”

Toby Howes, Sally’s nephew, also confirmed the news on Twitter, saying: “I can also confirm the passing of my beloved Aunty Sally Ann Howes, who died peacefully in her sleep yesterday.”

“My brother & I thought Sally Ann might hold on until the Christmas screening of ‘Chitty Chitty Bang Bang’ as this would have greatly appealed to her mischievous side,” he said.

1sQ_Eo4KOsE1MY147eLFRSYFcC5az5C_jL6_gP9g220OfD-DYWF5L3NE3EdnAGNqeQSijPrju0cPuvtvGq0Itrfj7GuHWX9bVSPnenpBOQYq3TeyWOYFtxFE5TRezmKCmy47nanJ

Photo credit: Everett Collection.

The London-born actress enjoyed a career that spanned six decades, which included a Tony Award nomination for best lead actress in a musical role. Her best-known work is playing the role of Truly Scrumptious in the 1968 musical film Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, alongside award-winning actor Dick Van Dyke.

She rose to fame and became a household name when the film was nominated in 2006 for the American Film Institute’s list of 25 Greatest Movies Musicals. Though, it did not make the cut.

HvA-7YPfPofepj70z4g70BV4AuykkkftvtMTiLfX4WAfd0_LjGKcTwYj2SzFE-J8tMkmzpzvgt3V_My4J1m85-uRW0Sw_wXNH-N_b-bszek3RTLHgkjM7zDT7YbdUNWOOwk-jFA1

Photo credit: Yahoo! Entertainment.

In the 1950s, despite her career’s success, she ventured from films into the theatre.

“I would have liked a film career, but I didn't pursue it - I just loved connecting with an audience,” said the actress.

“The theatre is a drug. The problem is that to be remembered; you have to do films.”

She made her first appearance in ‘Fancy Free’, and by 1958, she had already made her Broadway debut when she replaced Julie Andrews as Eliza Doolittle in ‘My Fair Lady’.

“The audience felt cheated, and I immediately felt I had been thrown to the wolves,” said the actress, recalling how she was a last-minute replacement for Ms Andrews.

Unbeknownst to her, that performance would be later known as the ‘best she’s ever had’.

The actress never gave up her big-screen career as she continued to make occasional appearances on TV shows and films, including ‘The Fifth Column’ with Richard Burton.

EzbhEHVHz8JlpJPhA19AcF6QZp42M1ReJSMBBRRU-Wm0eAkrMyq0bJ1qMzYKqDClYpzldwxC2EO2GIUoJp8r2_1SQ9PQEpPjHqSVJ5kN3ckZUDPEobHttHJIKhREJWsixQyFtuzv

Photo credit: Lawrence K. Ho / Los Angeles Times via People.
In a 2012 showing of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Howes joined over a thousand fans on a Turner Classic Movies cruise.

“The moment you hit 45 — now it's 55 — your career changes,” the actress said in front of the crowd.

“You have to rethink everything, and you have to adjust. I was always aware of it because of the people I was brought up with. We saw careers go up and down and be killed off.”

She added, “I've never prepared for anything. I've always jumped into the next thing, and therefore it's been a strange career. I enjoyed experimenting.”

<p>Sally Ann Howes in 2011</p>

Photo credit: Joanne Davidson / Shutterstock.
Tributes from fellow co-stars poured in after Howes’ death was announced.

Four-time Olivier nominated actress Emma Williams said: “Sad news today about Sally Ann Howes, the original and best Truly Scrumptious. She was the epitome of class, a generous and kindly soul who offered the sweetest words of advice and support to me when I met her. I will forever be grateful.”

Son of ‘Chitty Chitty Bang Bang writer, Robert Sherman, wrote: “Another artistic genius and diva has left us. Sally Ann Howes embodied Truly Scrumptious in my dad and uncle’s movie musical Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.”

“God. This is tough. She was gorgeous and regal. And the way she beamingly addressed me, I felt she was as happy to meet me as I was her,” he added.

“Anyway, Sally, thank you for immortalising arguably one of my dad and uncle's greatest and most beloved films and song scores. You were and will remain forever divine. Scrumptious as a cherry peach parfait.”

“I’m so happy and grateful you were a big part of my family’s journey. Safe travels, and please give dad a big hug for me.”

Sally Ann Howes is survived by her son Andrew Hart Adler.

Sponsored