End of an era: Juanita Phillips bids farewell to ABC's 7 pm bulletin after two decades

There's something special about winding down after a busy day by watching the evening news. It's a comforting routine that we often take for granted, until we realise that things are about to change.

Unfortunately, this reality is hard for many ABC viewers in New South Wales. For the past two decades, they've been tuning in regularly to their 7 pm bulletin, where they've come to rely on a familiar and trusted face to greet them at the start of the night.

That face belongs to Juanita Phillips, a respected and much-loved news presenter who has been with ABC since 2002.

Juanita's decision to step down from her post marks the end of an era. She has been an integral part of the network, and her departure will undoubtedly leave a void in the hearts of many viewers.

Before joining ABC, Juanita had an impressive career with notable stints at CNN International, BBC World News, Sky News Australia, and Network 10. Her journey with the ABC began in 2002, and after a year of weekend presenting and co-anchoring the NSW 7 pm News, she eventually became the main solo presenter of the bulletin.

Her dedication and professionalism have made her a household name, and her departure will surely be felt by those who have come to rely on her as a source of news and comfort.

In a column on the ABC website, Phillips wrote that 'change is in the air' both regarding her personal life and in the ever-evolving media landscape, and that now was the right time to take a new step in her career.

'It's a privilege to have played a small part in something so important in people's daily lives, and I appreciate the warmth and support I've received from them over the years,' she said.

'At the public broadcaster, I've been lucky to work alongside the best people in the business.'

She expressed her appreciation for all the support she has received over the years and her admiration for all the hard-working colleagues who have enabled her to do her job so successfully.

'It's my choice, and I'm excited to start the next phase of my life. It's been an honour to serve the people of NSW in this role, and I'll be sorry to say goodbye to our 7 pm viewers,' she said.

In her statement, Juanita also acknowledged her children, now young adults, as one of the reasons for her decision.

'My children weren't even born when I started presenting the 7 pm bulletin; now they are young adults, and I'm finally able to step aside from full-time work. I have no idea what comes next, but it's an exciting stage of life, full of possibilities and the time and freedom to explore them.'

Screen Shot 2023-08-01 at 11.05.51 AM.png
ABC NSW presenter Juanita Phillips is leaving the broadcaster after over two decades and more than 4500 bulletins. Credit: Twitter/Juanita_Phillip.

The passion and dedication of the reporter didn't go unnoticed, with ABC's Director of News, Justin Stevens, paying tribute to Juanita in a heartfelt statement.

'This is sad news, but we respect the decision Juanita has made, detailed in the wonderful words she has written today about her decision,' he said.

'Juanita is a key presence in the ABC, both on-air and behind the scenes. She is loved and trusted by viewers and is one of our most senior and respected editorial leaders. Live-to-air, in the studio and from the field, she has informed us about many of the biggest news events, always with her trademark clarity and calm.'

'As well as her journalistic contribution, Juanita is a champion and trailblazer for gender equity and inclusion in the newsroom, with her advocacy benefiting many women at ABC and throughout the media.'

As for Phillips' own plans, she plans to take a break from work for a while and enjoy some well-deserved 'normality'.

'My life goals these days are much more mundane,' she said. 'I'm looking forward to being home at night for dinner. Having Sundays free. Being able to attend my Thursday night book club without taking annual leave.'

'After a lifetime of working strange, unsociable hours, I'm ready for a bit of normality. Being more available for friends and family is now my priority. I assumed that life would slow down as my kids grew up. Turns out it's the opposite!'

'I've missed so much. It's time to be part of life's ordinary, precious moments before they all pass by,' she reflected.

We'll continue seeing Juanita on our screens for a bitlonger. Her final broadcast is set for Sunday, 10th September. It's a bittersweet moment as we bid farewell to someone who has been vital to the Aussie TV experience for the past twenty years.

Ms Phillips, thank you for all your dedication and hard work. You will be truly missed!

Key Takeaways

• Juanita Phillips, long-time presenter of ABC's 7 pm bulletin, is set to leave mid-September after spending over 20 years at the broadcaster.
  • Phillips began her career at ABC in 2002 after working at other big news networks, including CNN International, BBC World News, Sky News Australia, and Network 10.
  • ABC News Director Justin Stevens shared his respect for her decision to leave, acknowledging her significant contribution to ABC in and out of the studio and her dedication to gender equity and inclusion.
  • While Phillips shared that she has no immediate plans upon leaving, she looks forward to enjoying normal household routines and attending her Thursday night book club. Her last bulletin will air on Sunday, 10 September.

Now, we'd love to hear from all of you members. Have you been following Juanita's segments? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
Wish her all the best in whatever she moves on to. She has been a part of our lives for many years. Maybe she will have a tilt at politics after she has a well deserved break.

There's something special about winding down after a busy day by watching the evening news. It's a comforting routine that we often take for granted, until we realise that things are about to change.

Unfortunately, this reality is hard for many ABC viewers in New South Wales. For the past two decades, they've been tuning in regularly to their 7 pm bulletin, where they've come to rely on a familiar and trusted face to greet them at the start of the night.

That face belongs to Juanita Phillips, a respected and much-loved news presenter who has been with ABC since 2002.

Juanita's decision to step down from her post marks the end of an era. She has been an integral part of the network, and her departure will undoubtedly leave a void in the hearts of many viewers.

Before joining ABC, Juanita had an impressive career with notable stints at CNN International, BBC World News, Sky News Australia, and Network 10. Her journey with the ABC began in 2002, and after a year of weekend presenting and co-anchoring the NSW 7 pm News, she eventually became the main solo presenter of the bulletin.

Her dedication and professionalism have made her a household name, and her departure will surely be felt by those who have come to rely on her as a source of news and comfort.

In a column on the ABC website, Phillips wrote that 'change is in the air' both regarding her personal life and in the ever-evolving media landscape, and that now was the right time to take a new step in her career.

'It's a privilege to have played a small part in something so important in people's daily lives, and I appreciate the warmth and support I've received from them over the years,' she said.

'At the public broadcaster, I've been lucky to work alongside the best people in the business.'

She expressed her appreciation for all the support she has received over the years and her admiration for all the hard-working colleagues who have enabled her to do her job so successfully.

'It's my choice, and I'm excited to start the next phase of my life. It's been an honour to serve the people of NSW in this role, and I'll be sorry to say goodbye to our 7 pm viewers,' she said.

In her statement, Juanita also acknowledged her children, now young adults, as one of the reasons for her decision.

'My children weren't even born when I started presenting the 7 pm bulletin; now they are young adults, and I'm finally able to step aside from full-time work. I have no idea what comes next, but it's an exciting stage of life, full of possibilities and the time and freedom to explore them.'

View attachment 26372
ABC NSW presenter Juanita Phillips is leaving the broadcaster after over two decades and more than 4500 bulletins. Credit: Twitter/Juanita_Phillip.

The passion and dedication of the reporter didn't go unnoticed, with ABC's Director of News, Justin Stevens, paying tribute to Juanita in a heartfelt statement.

'This is sad news, but we respect the decision Juanita has made, detailed in the wonderful words she has written today about her decision,' he said.

'Juanita is a key presence in the ABC, both on-air and behind the scenes. She is loved and trusted by viewers and is one of our most senior and respected editorial leaders. Live-to-air, in the studio and from the field, she has informed us about many of the biggest news events, always with her trademark clarity and calm.'

'As well as her journalistic contribution, Juanita is a champion and trailblazer for gender equity and inclusion in the newsroom, with her advocacy benefiting many women at ABC and throughout the media.'

As for Phillips' own plans, she plans to take a break from work for a while and enjoy some well-deserved 'normality'.

'My life goals these days are much more mundane,' she said. 'I'm looking forward to being home at night for dinner. Having Sundays free. Being able to attend my Thursday night book club without taking annual leave.'

'After a lifetime of working strange, unsociable hours, I'm ready for a bit of normality. Being more available for friends and family is now my priority. I assumed that life would slow down as my kids grew up. Turns out it's the opposite!'

'I've missed so much. It's time to be part of life's ordinary, precious moments before they all pass by,' she reflected.

We'll continue seeing Juanita on our screens for a bitlonger. Her final broadcast is set for Sunday, 10th September. It's a bittersweet moment as we bid farewell to someone who has been vital to the Aussie TV experience for the past twenty years.

Ms Phillips, thank you for all your dedication and hard work. You will be truly missed!

Key Takeaways

• Juanita Phillips, long-time presenter of ABC's 7 pm bulletin, is set to leave mid-September after spending over 20 years at the broadcaster.
  • Phillips began her career at ABC in 2002 after working at other big news networks, including CNN International, BBC World News, Sky News Australia, and Network 10.
  • ABC News Director Justin Stevens shared his respect for her decision to leave, acknowledging her significant contribution to ABC in and out of the studio and her dedication to gender equity and inclusion.
  • While Phillips shared that she has no immediate plans upon leaving, she looks forward to enjoying normal household routines and attending her Thursday night book club. Her last bulletin will air on Sunday, 10 September.

Now, we'd love to hear from all of you members. Have you been following Juanita's segments? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

We don't watch ch2 or sbs/nitv here - all boring or dubbed & boring. Hope she has fun with whatever she decides to do next.