Empty shelves seen to persist in state’s supermarkets as restocking efforts continue

As the residents of one state are well aware, the recent extreme weather events have not only disrupted daily life but have also had a significant impact on the availability of essential goods.

The heavy rainfall that closed critical transport routes, including the Eyre Highway and the Trans-Australian Railway Line, has resulted in a noticeable scarcity of products on supermarket shelves.

This has been a stark reminder of the vulnerability of Australia’s supply chains, particularly in remote and expansive regions.

Dairy products and meat are among the most affected, with consumers in WA reporting shortages of items such as flour, bread, almonds, diced tomatoes, deli goods, chilled items, and even pet products.

Social media has been abuzz with shoppers sharing their experiences of empty shelves and the struggle to find everyday items.

It's not just the homebrand products from Coles and Woolworths that are in short supply; even more expensive alternatives are becoming harder to find.

In response to the crisis, Woolworths Group chief executive Brad Banducci has acknowledged the ongoing issues and admitted that the issue may persist for about ten days more, at the least.

compressed-blob.jpeg
Efforts are underway to replenish depleted supplies of everyday goods in WA, but Western Australians might have to extend their wait by a bit. Image Credit: Facebook

Despite this, he assured customers that efforts were being made to restock as quickly as possible.

‘For all of our Western Australian shoppers, there are still material issues in supply there,’ he said on Tuesday, April 16.

‘We're working very hard, and I know our competitors are, to get them back into supply.’

A Woolworths spokesperson has also stated that a large amount of stock is being sent by rail to help get levels 'back on track’, with a focus on chilled products such as cheese, margarine, juice, meat, and poultry.

Coles has also confirmed that they have stock en route to WA, with the expectation that the backlog of deliveries will clear soon, leading to improved stock levels in stores in the coming days.

The recent events have exposed the vulnerability of WA's freight network, with Western Roads Federation chief executive Cam Dumesny highlighting that about 80 per cent of freight into WA is transported by rail.

‘When you look at the national interstate freight disruptions, they're becoming more frequent and more intense and more often,’ he said.

‘Short, intense, geographically concentrated weather events are certainly exposing the vulnerability of our freight systems.’

The limitations of the road network during railway closures have compounded the problem, and Dumesny has called for a national policy on freight resilience, including one that tackles local stock storage options, to mitigate future disruptions.

‘We can't invest in the amount of trying to lift up 2,000 kilometres of rail line, 2,000 kilometres of road to connect us east-west, it's just too expensive,’ he stressed.

‘We need a strategy and we need a plan. Currently there isn't one.’

As we navigate these challenging times, it's important for those who may rely on consistent access to certain goods, to be aware of the situation and plan our grocery runs accordingly.

It may be wise to consider alternative sources for essentials, such as local markets or smaller grocers, which might not be as affected by the supply chain issues.

Moreover, this situation serves as a reminder of the importance of community support and resilience.

Sharing information with neighbours, offering to pick up items for those who might not be able to get to the stores themselves, and even exploring community bulk-buying options could be ways to manage the shortages.
Key Takeaways
  • Dairy products, meat and other groceries are in limited supply across Western Australia due to the impact of widespread flooding on critical transport routes.
  • Woolworths and Coles are working to restock stores, but some items may remain low in stock for an extended period.
  • Consumers have reported shortages on social media, with some noting that homebrand items are scarce, but more expensive alternatives remain available.
  • The vulnerability of the freight network to extreme weather events has been exposed, highlighting the need for a national strategy on freight resilience and local stock storage solutions.
What are your thoughts on this story, members? Please share them with us below.

Sponsored
I'm in NSW and have noticed over the past couple of months of online shortages and also empty shelves in store . I'm talking about Roselands, kingsgrove ,Earlwood, and Riverwood

Same thing happens in FNQ whenever there is flooding down south we miss out, or if there is a cyclone..try telling customers we have nothing out the back they keep saying go and check...people need to know that when it floods anywhere south of Townsville ..WE DO NOT GET ANYTHING...BECAUSE ITS FLOODED....
We have no back up...and no alternatives...

Poor planning on infrastructure for transportation and too much reliance on interstate goods. There are alternatives to name brand goods. More investment in farming is needed.

• Love
Reactions: maherdj
Any excuse with these supermarkets, and they will put up the price because there is a shortage, that's how they will get around the price gouging rule.

We couldn't get items in Coles and Woolworths in Perth yet available at IGA so it seems poor planning rather than the disruptions they are blaming. Another reason to etop shopping at the big 2 when other supermarkets are better stocked
As I aid earlier it is a way for them to bypass the gouging rules I would say, no stock means hard to get so they say they have to pay more, it's a lie. As you say it's available at IGA, I would also suggest that maybe the other two have been putting pressure on the freight companies as well so just maybe the freight companies are giving them some back...KHARMA!!
We couldn't get items in Coles and Woolworths in Perth yet available at IGA so it seems poor planning rather than the disruptions they are blaming. Another reason to etop shopping at the big 2 when other supermarkets are better stocked

Reactions: maherdj
Same thing happens in FNQ whenever there is flooding down south we miss out, or if there is a cyclone..try telling customers we have nothing out the back they keep saying go and check...people need to know that when it floods anywhere south of Townsville ..WE DO NOT GET ANYTHING...BECAUSE ITS FLOODED....
We have no back up...and no alternatives...
Funny thing is Coles in Ingham tried to tell me it was due to flooding once, I told the manager that I had just driven from Ingham to Sydney via the coast road and then back up a few days later up through the center, (Emerald) so if I can get my car through I am very sure you can get your semi through, he didn't want to know me....lies, they are too used to telling crap to the public now and that's how they get by!

The only realistic option to raising the rail lines and highway is to expand Australia's air-freight systems. Yes, it costs more to air-freight than rail and/or road, but by expanding the competition in air-freight services, those costs can be reduced considerably. It's an avenue well-worth further exploration (I'm trying to avoid mentioning the UK developing huge airships for freight deliveries, lol).

Reactions: JimmyFlatrock
They make billions out of the customers in WA by over charging for so called shortage, why haven't they come up with a supply chain sustainable policy
This is not the first time food hasn't got over here, I would think that the brians of the Nation might be able to work it out. We need a better rail and road system.

I think IGA deal as much as they can deal with Local producers. I seems to work well.

Im in Carrum downs vic Coles, my husband loves Coles sheppards pie have not had any for months, also I used to get Coles petroleum jelly but they have not had that for ages.