Emotional reunions at Sydney Airport as the first quarantine-free flight arrives

Emotional reunions at Sydney Airport as the first quarantine-free flight arrives
After a gruelling 590-day border closure following the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic in March 2020, Australia has finally eased its restrictions for international travel. The change in international travel restrictions has allowed stranded Aussies outside Australia to fly back home before Christmas, resulting in emotional reunions at Sydney airport before dawn on Monday.

xP4m2Sj7N2IEEcq_8Axyd-gFwHMS10WRvWxh1ooiWvXOosjHJYzIlfqRMUCaVOVAR8Oj-KYlzNWIFOAHZuGr2eTMtGtiWf82CfkX5iqXh8bTOzvt6x8lrcDBwFHRXqmT6x2Qi-I

International travellers rushed to their loved ones who were eagerly waiting at the airport gates to hug them for the first time in almost 2 years. Credit: AAPImage.
On November 1, the first fleet of inbound flights arrived at the Sydney Kingsford Smith Airport. International travellers rushed to their loved ones who were eagerly waiting at the airport gates to hug them for the first time in almost 2 years.

Under the change to international travel, fully-vaccinated passengers won't have to quarantine in a hotel or at home, making coming home for Aussies much easier.

The Sydney airport was well prepared for the emotional reunions as staff carried platters of muffins and savoury snacks and a band set up outside to play ‘I still call Australia home’. Qantas also had their staff don ‘welcome’ signs for the arriving travellers.

One of the families who were waiting were new grandparents Toni and Theo who were holding a 'welcome home balloon' and a blue teddy bear for their infant granddaughter Emilia, who they'd never met.

The 67-year-old grandma said: 'Our daughter is flying in from Spain with our granddaughter - we haven't seen her since 2019.’

'Her flights kept getting cancelled, but she was lucky because she would have had to go into quarantine.'

Once their daughter, Melissa, rushed in to greet them, Toni broke down.

C0iXpwK5OWA-wZEmMYMvKN3GQPvomnL59aEmk8XUUF40ICdlj_YZDb_Ets95NqjXwZVjwv52n9XERzJBI0k3_sO8ttaGfdSDwL-BWhgOmlB1A2O1nvyIhSW0dmNyQrw5gvoo7ao

New grandparents Toni and Theo greet their 2-year-old granddaughter Emilia, who they’d never met. Credit: Matrixnews for DailyMail Australia.
The change in international travel not only allowed returning Australians entry into the country, but it also allowed Aussie travellers to go overseas again.

As returning Aussies greeted their loved ones, prospective travellers hugged their families goodbye at the taxi stand.

A woman in her 50s, Vivian, said a teary-eyed farewell to her best friend Heather before leaving for New York to see her partner and two sons.

'First of November, what a day!' Heather said.

Vivian added: 'Both my boys are in college so I had to get a travel exemption for three months and that came through and I made a lot of bookings - five or six, and then eventually landed on this one.'

BN_kMrpzGPA0YWjctjw9WFI9-HFmZ5SBP4E67mXjtC-2h0C3oZzWAdimF2uUzzuS7mZLnPmzEiErKQW4UTjXISP1A8aNEsEWa-mBY9pIsb06Jn1bLg33GANfi-4Rnk8XV0WsSA0

Bestfriends Vivian and Heather bid their farewell to each other as Vivian heads to New York to meet her partner and two sons. Credit: Matrixnews for DailyMail Australia.
Another outbound traveller, Ava, who hasn't seen her boyfriend of six years in two years, will be flying to Singapore today.

'It was scary before because there was no news about when I could see him, and I don't know when I'll be able to see him again after this, but I am feeling excited,' she said.

'But so many other partners are still separated with no idea as to when they'll be able to see their loved ones again.'

31-year-old Alex will have a connecting flight to Mexico to attend her niece's second birthday.

'I'm excited,' she said.

'I know the lockdowns were necessary, but it's been a long time since we've been able to see family members.'

Pekoe, who is set to fly to Fiji, said that he is excited to see his family after three years.

u9IDsGJ5EoOs96_WCsHCFYvyL7ppMz65RydQE8osZf2F9wu5DvhcbfqAqkTo6tnqQ_AjLiy98Al7E6NDVT40gMccj9q1-r12XGO5pJ_rSFMpxZUsOIxNrIQlI5aqUlYGbEzDCjU

As returning Aussies greet their family, outbound travellers are saying their goodbyes to their loved ones. Credit: Getty Images.
Meanwhile, intrastate travel restrictions will be lifted for fully-vaccinated people in NSW allowing them to travel freely between Greater Sydney and the regions. The change in intrastate travel allows Aussies to reunite with their families for the first time in months and marks the return of regional tourism.

Premier Dominic Perrottet said: 'For the first time in a long time, grandparents will be able to visit grandkids ... many people will be reunited.'

The premier is confident with the decision as nearly 88 per cent of Sydneysiders have been vaccinated with both doses.

The state's vaccine booster program will also kick off today for those who received their jab six months ago or longer.

Pfizer doses will be available from pharmacies, GP clinics and state-run hubs across the NSW.

Nationally, rapid antigen tests also become available on November 1 at major supermarkets including Coles and Woolworths.

Below is the key information you need to know if you're interested to travel:

International travel

- Fully-vaccinated permanent residents or citizens of Australia will now be eligible to travel overseas.
- Travellers will no longer need to apply for an exemption to leave the country but will need to show proof of their vaccination status.

- Those under the age of 12 or who can't be vaccinated due to medical reasons will also be allowed to travel.

- Australians will also need to show proof of a negative PCR Covid test taken 72 hours before they leave the country.

- Travellers under the age of five will not need to receive a Covid test.

- Those living in Australia who aren't citizens or don't have permanent residency are still banned from returning Down Under if they were to leave.

Quarantine restrictions

- Fully-vaccinated travellers returning to Australia are no longer required to quarantine at home or in a hotel upon arrival in NSW, Victoria, and ACT.

- Tasmania will lift quarantine restrictions for fully-vaccinated travellers on December 15.

- Arriving travellers must provide proof of a negative PCR Covid test 72 hours before arrival.

- Tassie residents who have been out of the state for less than a week are not required to provide proof of a negative COVID test.

- Queensland will open its borders on December 17.

- South Australia will not be requiring fully-vaccinated domestic travellers to quarantine starting November 23. International travellers still need to quarantine.

- The Northern Territory will allow travellers from hot spots to home quarantine as of November 23.

- Western Australia has not released any announcements for reopening plans.

Major Changes to COVID rules from November 1:

- Australian citizens, permanent residents and their immediate families can now fly into NSW, Victoria or the ACT without entering hotel quarantine as long as they are fully-vaccinated

- Double-jabbed Australians are also allowed to fly overseas without getting an exemption and can go anywhere in the world

- Sydneysiders can travel all over NSW

- Borders are down between NSW, the ACT and Victoria

Sponsored