Emerging food crisis? Bare shelves greet locals in one state’s supermarkets

In the wake of natural disasters, we often see the resilience of communities and the challenges that come with recovery.

For our friends in Western Australia, the recent severe flooding has been a stark reminder of how essentials can quickly become scarce.

More than a week after the Trans-Australian Railway line and the Eyre Highway reopened following a flood, supermarket shelves remain sparsely stocked, leaving many residents concerned and inconvenienced.

The disruption to these crucial freight routes has impacted the supply chain, with supermarkets like Coles and Woolworths experiencing shortages in essentials like pasta, butter, cheese, yoghurt, and orange juice.

Despite reopening routes, the ripple effects from the wild weather still affect the state.

compressed-pexels-westarmoney-4079219.jpeg
Supermarkets across Western Australia are facing a shortage as crucial delivery routes are affected by an emergency, leaving shoppers out of options. Image Credit: Pexels/WeStarMoney

Woolworths has acknowledged the urgency of the situation.

'Our priority is getting more chilled products to our stores—things like cheese, margarine and juice, as well as meat and poultry items,' a Woolworths spokesperson said.

The supermarket giant is working diligently to address the shortages and restock its shelves to meet customer demand.

Coles has indicated that the backlog of rail deliveries is clearing.

‘Customers can expect to see increased stock arrivals in stores over the coming days,’ a Coles spokesperson said.

This is a hopeful sign for those facing limited options on their grocery runs.

In contrast, smaller supermarkets are less affected by the supply chain disruption due to their purchasing arrangements with local suppliers.

This highlights the benefits of supporting local businesses and producers, which are more resilient in times of crisis.

The situation has prompted the WA Transport Minister Rita Saffioti to explore alternative shipping routes for future emergencies.

'We will continue to lobby and work with the federal government to see how we can improve the resilience of the east-west rail line,' she said.

These shortages can be particularly challenging for the community.

Always plan and consider alternative shopping strategies, like visiting local markets or smaller grocers.

Additionally, it might be time to explore online shopping options that offer delivery from various sources, potentially bypassing some of the supply chain issues affecting larger chains.
Key Takeaways

• Supermarket shelves in Western Australia remain short of stock even after the reopening of a crucial freight route.
  • The shortage of supplies continues as Coles and Woolworths work to restock.
  • Smaller supermarkets experienced less impact due to local purchasing arrangements.
  • The WA Transport Minister is considering alternative shipping routes to improve resilience during emergencies.
Have you been affected by the supermarket shortages in Western Australia? Share your experiences and tips with the community in the comments below.

Sponsored
Coles supermarket here in Baldivis has severely depleted stock , most shelves are empty , scary , just like during the pandemic in Victoria .Recently relocated to WA

Must be from the result of all those people that a boycotting Coles & Woollies. May want to get used to it if the 2 majors are put on notice following the recent report to govt. Much like the banks, they'll just close up the stores that don't make sufficient returns on the cost to operate in rural remote areas.

• Haha
Reactions: Caron and IAN3005
Must be from the result of all those people that a boycotting Coles & Woollies. May want to get used to it if the 2 majors are put on notice following the recent report to govt. Much like the banks, they'll just close up the stores that don't make sufficient returns on the cost to operate in rural remote areas.
I hope so... in that case, the consumer is winning..... I've been saying this for over 2 years...... DON'T SHOP AT COLES OR WOLLIES. Even if it is for a fortnight... that'll make them sit up and take note...

Reactions: Rob44
Like a lot of West Australians I have always supported the idea of WA becoming independent from the rest of the country, unfortunately while WA is vastly Resource/Mineral rich we do not have even basic manufacturing of food here, local producers of fresh food Yes and where avaliable we are all keen supporters of them, but other staple foods and other essentials (dare I say toilet paper!!) that we all buy every week/ month are made over east and transported through an outdated rail system supply chain or long haul trucks on a very long and difficult journey over inferior roads. cannot lessons be learned from other countries in the world who also have huge distances between major population centers, how do those countries handle major disasters that affect supply chains and why do the state and federal government not pull their fingers out and do something to fix this problem that happens every time there is an issue with transport across the border from East to West.

One of the bonuses of living in WA is the amount of produce it provides independently of Eastern States. There are a few WA food chains such as Spudshed & Farmer Jack's that sell WA produce. During the pandemic I found I did not run out of grocery items as I avoided Woolies & Coles, and shopped local. Reduced supply to W & C is not as major an issue as media would lead you to believe.

Reactions: Phyll and Wendy
I hope so... in that case, the consumer is winning..... I've been saying this for over 2 years...... DON'T SHOP AT COLES OR WOLLIES. Even if it is for a fortnight... that'll make them sit up and take note...
Have to say it ain't working. Every time I go to Coles they're still teaming with shoppers. Equally the share price of both doesn't show any impact from a tokenistic boycott, if anything it gives them publicity. Curious as to where you're buying groceries?

I would not having to shop at the duopoly, or Bunnings. There is little else local around where I live.and the alternative is a 3okm drive there and back. And hardly any less expensive, as it probably buys from Woolworths wholesale arm despite claiming to charge lower proces.

The shelves (all 3 Coles and 3 Woolworths) in my town here in VIC, are fully stocked, but oh boy, very VERY expensive ... a certain brand tea (bags) I have been drinking all my life, went from $3.80 and jumped within a week to $7 !!!

I Shop in Ellenbrook and Brabham Coles, there were a lot of empty shelves but I got most of what I needed. In place of the items I couldn't get I bought some products I'd not had before, who knows they might become new favorites.

The shelves (all 3 Coles and 3 Woolworths) in my town here in VIC, are fully stocked, but oh boy, very VERY expensive ... a certain brand tea (bags) I have been drinking all my life, went from $3.80 and jumped within a week to $7 !!!
that is blatant stealing,, about time they were pulled into gear,,,there is only 2 of us and my groceries jumped from the $ 80 mark pre covid to anywhere from $130 to $150 +and that does not include much fruit and veg as we grow them and hubby buys meat from an independant butcher

Have to say it ain't working. Every time I go to Coles they're still teaming with shoppers. Equally the share price of both doesn't show any impact from a tokenistic boycott, if anything it gives them publicity. Curious as to where you're buying groceries?
Sheeple....... wherever it is cheapest..... I monitor the prices wherever I go.
Grocery items I buy for Aldi but they are getting up to the same tricks as Coles and Woollies.
Aldi fruit and vegetables are a disgrace...2nds and dear. I Don't buy from there....

What is left to say? the situation has reached the bottom. Far from the 'grape expectations' of the investigation into the duopoly we have seen the outcome to a point where it would appear more of the same is to be expected. The status quo to reign and they promise to be good and self flaggelate when they don't toe the appropriate line. Unfortunately they are not accepting that they have done anything wrong and try their hardest and darndest to convince the inquisitors that they have been put upon whilst trying to provide a community service. BOTTOM LINE= Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny together with the Tooth Fairy have decided to go to the pub and attempt to drown their collective sorrows in the special $18 Jug at Happy Hour.