Elton John shares surprising news about his health journey

Elton John, the legendary musician whose career has spanned over five decades, has recently made a startling revelation about his health, leaving fans and followers concerned yet inspired by his resilience.

At the ripe age of 77, the iconic singer has faced many health challenges, which he candidly discussed during the premiere of his new documentary, Elton John: Never Too Late, at the New York Film Festival.

In a moment of raw honesty, John told the audience, 'To be honest with you, there’s not much of me left.'

This blunt admission came after a documentary screening directed by his husband, David Furnish, and R.J. Cutler.

The singer humorously listed the parts of his body that he no longer has, including his tonsils, adenoids, appendix, prostate, and even his right hip and both knees.

1728006525397.png
A blunt admission about his health is made by Elton John, who joked about the many body parts he has had surgically altered or removed. Credit: Shutterstock

Despite these numerous health battles, John's spirit remains unbroken.

He quipped, 'But I’m still here,' expressing his gratitude to his fans for their unwavering support.

Over the years, Elton John's health has been a rollercoaster of ups and downs.

Just last month, he opened up about recovering from a 'severe eye infection' that impacted his vision.

This was in addition to knee and hip replacement surgeries, as the New York Post reported.

The Tiny Dancer singer's medical history also included a fitted pacemaker for an irregular heartbeat in the 1990s, hospitalisation for influenza and a bacterial infection in 2009, an abscess on his appendix in 2013, and a 'gastric flu' in 2016.

Moreover, years of touring have taken a toll on his hearing, leading to significant hearing loss.

In 2021, John's friends raised concerns about his well-being ahead of the next leg of his Farewell Yellow Brick Road Tour, which he concluded last year after an impressive run of over 300 shows worldwide.

A musician who has known John for decades expressed to The Post, 'He is not Superman.

He should be at home with his kids and his husband, not stuck on the road. I worry that he won’t finish this tour.'

However, Elton John has repeatedly proven that his determination and love for music are as strong as ever.

At the documentary premiere, he confirmed his decision to retire from touring, stating, 'I’ve done all there is to do, to play. I’ve succeeded. I’ve been there, and I’ve done it.'

His focus now shifts to his personal life, particularly his family.

He paid a heartfelt tribute to his husband, David Furnish, and their sons, Zachary and Elijah. He acknowledged them as the source of his happiness and described his life as utopian.

Elton John: Never Too Late premiered at the Toronto Film Festival and is set to begin streaming on Disney+ in the US on 13 December.

The documentary promises an intimate look at John's illustrious 50-year career, culminating in his final North American show at Dodger Stadium in 2022.

Packed with greatest hits, lesser-known tracks from the '70s, and exclusive footage from John's archives, the film is described as an 'intimate and emotionally-charged story' that tells 'Elton John’s story as it’s never been told before.'
Key Takeaways
  • Elton John has made a blunt admission about his health, joking about the many parts of his body that he's had surgery on or removed.
  • John has completed his Farewell Yellow Brick Road Tour after five years and over 300 shows worldwide despite his health issues.
  • The iconic singer has expressed his contentment with his family life, thanking his husband, David Furnish and their sons for making him the 'happiest man in the world.'
  • Elton John's new documentary, Elton John: Never Too Late, premiered at the Toronto Film Festival and will be streaming on Disney+ in the US, detailing his 50-year career up to his final North American show.
What are your thoughts on Elton John's health revelation and his decision to retire from touring? Have you faced similar health challenges and found ways to overcome them? Share your experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored