Elton John hangs up his touring hat: Music legend officially retires after more than 50 years

'We live in an age, in an era where there is so much negativity, there is so much violence in the world, there is so much unrest, and people are at war, that I wanted to promote the word love.'

Elton John, where do we even begin? This iconic figure is so well-known that introducing him feels a bit redundant. Most people know and love him!

The glamorous British-born performer has blessed us with unforgettable tunes like 'Tiny Dancer' and 'Rocket Man'. But that's not all! He's also famous for his fabulous fashion sense, sporting those big, flamboyant sunglasses and rocking pastel outfits like nobody else can.

And on Saturday night, Elton John bid a fond farewell to his countless fans, promising that they will forever reside in his 'head, heart, and soul'.

'I've had the most wonderful career, beyond belief. 52 years of pure joy playing music, how lucky am I to play music?' The legendary 76-year-old singer wrapped up his epic farewell tour in Stockholm, delivering a memorable rendition of one of his greatest hits, 'Goodbye Yellow Brick Road'.

'But, you know, I wouldn't be sitting here and talking to you if it wasn't for you. You bought the singles, the albums, the CDs, the cassettes, but more importantly, you bought the tickets to the shows, and you know how I love to play live.'

Screen Shot 2023-07-11 at 10.46.07 AM.png
Elton John has now officially retired from touring. Credit: Instagram/eltonjohn.

With an impressive collection of five Grammy awards under his belt, Elton John has enchanted audiences across the globe for an incredible half-century, performing a staggering 4,600 shows.

Addressing the crowd at Sweden's Tele2 Arena, he expressed his gratitude, saying, 'It’s been my lifeblood to play for you guys, and you’ve been absolutely magnificent—thank you.'

Elton John couldn't contain his excitement as he expressed his heartfelt gratitude to his incredible fans.

'They have stuck with me, they have supported me, they have been patient, and they have kept turning out for every single last show,' gushed Elton John in a statement after his concert, as reported by Consequence.

'Tonight has been magical. I'm trying to process it, and I don't think it will sink in for a while yet that I'm finally finished touring. I can't tell you how much I'm going to miss the fans and how much their support has humbled me—it will stay with me forever.'

Elton John also gave a heartfelt shout-out to his amazing band and crew, who have been rocking with him for ages. 'They're really incredible. And they are the best, I tell you, the best,' he gushed.

To get the tour started, he launched into the classic song 'Bennie and the Jets', and then treated the crowd to a string of his greatest hits. From the energetic 'Philadelphia Freedom' to the enchanting 'Tiny Dancer', he took everyone on a musical journey they'll never forget.

And, of course, he couldn't leave out 'Rocket Man' and the timeless 'Candle in the Wind'.

It was a night filled with joy, nostalgia, and Elton's unmistakable charm. The audience couldn't help but sing along, dance, and feel the love that this legendary musician poured into every note.

Elton John's Farewell Yellow Brick Road Tour kicked off in North America in 2018, and this was his second night in Stockholm. The tour reached almost six million fans worldwide, with a standout moment being his headline performance at Glastonbury Festival. The concert attracted an enormous crowd, making it one of the festival's biggest ever, and millions of fans watched it on TV.

To add to the excitement, Elton's Stockholm gig featured a video message from Coldplay, who were coincidentally playing in Sweden at the same time.

'Elton, we wanna say, from all of us here, from all the bands and all the artists that you've loved and inspired and helped, we just love you so much,' said the band's Chris Martin.

'Happy retirement, and we're going to miss you so much, man.'

Earlier Saturday, John took to Instagram with a sentimental message before his highly anticipated show. His post featured a video montage capturing the moment he announced his retirement from touring, marking the end of the Farewell Yellow Brick Road Tour.

'What a journey this tour has been, and now we find ourselves at the end of it.'

Credit: Instagram/eltonjohn.

But fear not, dear fans, for John's retirement from touring doesn't mean he's disappearing completely. According to his husband and manager, David Furnish, there's a 'distinction' to be made.

While he won't be touring, there's a good chance we'll still catch glimpses of him performing in special one-offs or limited residencies at specific venues. So, it's not the end, just a new chapter in the Elton John experience!

Key Takeaways

• Elton John retired from touring after an impressive 50-year career. His final concert took place yesterday.
  • In his remarkable 50-year career, the 76-year-old singer earned five Grammy awards and performed nearly 4,600 times worldwide.
  • The concert attracted one of the largest crowds in the festival's history and was watched by millions on TV.
  • Elton made it clear that he would not tour again but might consider a special performance in the future.

Members, have you been to an Elton John concert? How was it? And what do you think of him retiring from touring for good? Share your thoughts in the comments!

• Love
Reactions: Macarj and Petra
Sponsored
Sadly his is one concert I haven't been too.

He deserves to retire after all those years preforming.

His music played a huge part in my life growing up.

I remember being 12 years old and ice skating to Benny and the jets , I think that's when I fell in love with his music.
My first Eltin John album was Good bye yellow brick Rd, which I still have today

Thank you for the many many years of Amazing Songs 🎵 ❤️ 💕

'We live in an age, in an era where there is so much negativity, there is so much violence in the world, there is so much unrest, and people are at war, that I wanted to promote the word love.'

Elton John, where do we even begin? This iconic figure is so well-known that introducing him feels a bit redundant. Most people know and love him!

The glamorous British-born performer has blessed us with unforgettable tunes like 'Tiny Dancer' and 'Rocket Man'. But that's not all! He's also famous for his fabulous fashion sense, sporting those big, flamboyant sunglasses and rocking pastel outfits like nobody else can.

And on Saturday night, Elton John bid a fond farewell to his countless fans, promising that they will forever reside in his 'head, heart, and soul'.

'I've had the most wonderful career, beyond belief. 52 years of pure joy playing music, how lucky am I to play music?' The legendary 76-year-old singer wrapped up his epic farewell tour in Stockholm, delivering a memorable rendition of one of his greatest hits, 'Goodbye Yellow Brick Road'.

'But, you know, I wouldn't be sitting here and talking to you if it wasn't for you. You bought the singles, the albums, the CDs, the cassettes, but more importantly, you bought the tickets to the shows, and you know how I love to play live.'

View attachment 24799
Elton John has now officially retired from touring. Credit: Instagram/eltonjohn.

With an impressive collection of five Grammy awards under his belt, Elton John has enchanted audiences across the globe for an incredible half-century, performing a staggering 4,600 shows.

Addressing the crowd at Sweden's Tele2 Arena, he expressed his gratitude, saying, 'It’s been my lifeblood to play for you guys, and you’ve been absolutely magnificent—thank you.'

Elton John couldn't contain his excitement as he expressed his heartfelt gratitude to his incredible fans.

'They have stuck with me, they have supported me, they have been patient, and they have kept turning out for every single last show,' gushed Elton John in a statement after his concert, as reported by Consequence.

'Tonight has been magical. I'm trying to process it, and I don't think it will sink in for a while yet that I'm finally finished touring. I can't tell you how much I'm going to miss the fans and how much their support has humbled me—it will stay with me forever.'

Elton John also gave a heartfelt shout-out to his amazing band and crew, who have been rocking with him for ages. 'They're really incredible. And they are the best, I tell you, the best,' he gushed.

To get the tour started, he launched into the classic song 'Bennie and the Jets', and then treated the crowd to a string of his greatest hits. From the energetic 'Philadelphia Freedom' to the enchanting 'Tiny Dancer', he took everyone on a musical journey they'll never forget.

And, of course, he couldn't leave out 'Rocket Man' and the timeless 'Candle in the Wind'.

It was a night filled with joy, nostalgia, and Elton's unmistakable charm. The audience couldn't help but sing along, dance, and feel the love that this legendary musician poured into every note.

Elton John's Farewell Yellow Brick Road Tour kicked off in North America in 2018, and this was his second night in Stockholm. The tour reached almost six million fans worldwide, with a standout moment being his headline performance at Glastonbury Festival. The concert attracted an enormous crowd, making it one of the festival's biggest ever, and millions of fans watched it on TV.

To add to the excitement, Elton's Stockholm gig featured a video message from Coldplay, who were coincidentally playing in Sweden at the same time.

'Elton, we wanna say, from all of us here, from all the bands and all the artists that you've loved and inspired and helped, we just love you so much,' said the band's Chris Martin.

'Happy retirement, and we're going to miss you so much, man.'

Earlier Saturday, John took to Instagram with a sentimental message before his highly anticipated show. His post featured a video montage capturing the moment he announced his retirement from touring, marking the end of the Farewell Yellow Brick Road Tour.

'What a journey this tour has been, and now we find ourselves at the end of it.'

Credit: Instagram/eltonjohn.

But fear not, dear fans, for John's retirement from touring doesn't mean he's disappearing completely. According to his husband and manager, David Furnish, there's a 'distinction' to be made.

While he won't be touring, there's a good chance we'll still catch glimpses of him performing in special one-offs or limited residencies at specific venues. So, it's not the end, just a new chapter in the Elton John experience!

Key Takeaways

• Elton John retired from touring after an impressive 50-year career. His final concert took place yesterday.
  • In his remarkable 50-year career, the 76-year-old singer earned five Grammy awards and performed nearly 4,600 times worldwide.
  • The concert attracted one of the largest crowds in the festival's history and was watched by millions on TV.
  • Elton made it clear that he would not tour again but might consider a special performance in the future.

Members, have you been to an Elton John concert? How was it? And what do you think of him retiring from touring for good? Share your thoughts in the comments!

Yes! My husband and I saw Elton John at the Hammersmith Odeon , in England .
The whole building was tied up in a huge bow like a Christmas Present. It was a fabulous show. Elton was, as always, the ultimate Showman. We loved it and thereafter we remained loyal fans!

Reactions: Colette 3799
Ive been lucky enough to see Elton John live many times. i was at the Day on the green concert when the storm came through mid concert and he had to be assisted off stage, at risk of electrocution! The concert at the MGC with Billy Joel was one that will stay in my memories. My sister and I attended the second last concert in Melbourne - with Molly Meldrum making his controversial appearance lol. I have loved every minute of every concert, hopefully it won’t be the end as it sounds like theres a chance of another performance or two?? Actually I’m very hopeful as I remember my school friend going to his ”last ever concert” when he brought out the album ‘Don’t shoot me, I’m only the piano player’ back in the day lol

I have many Elton John albums, great performer and of course we shouldn't forget Bernie Taupin he wrote most of Eltons' songs

My daughter bought me a front row ticket to an Elton John show about 15 years ago. I went by myself as my hubby didn’t want to go. It was one of the best concerts I have ever been to, Elton is such a charismatic, energetic performer. I have several of his records, including the CD release of the single he performed at Princess Di’s funeral. Every time I listen to it I cry, I’m don’t know how he managed to sing it at the funeral. He is a real class act and his concerts will be missed by many fans. Unfortunately most of the stars our generation grew up with are growing old as we are and sad as it is when they retire it is better than the alternative of them continuing to perform when they really are past it, as some are doing.